OT: - Dorian | The Boneyard

OT: Dorian

Reaction Score
I don't know how many Byers live on the Florida coast, as I do, but we are in a constant state of uncertainty because of this dangerous and unpredictable storm. Would appreciate your sending some good thoughts our way, and save a few for people in the Carolinas as well, because the storm, which is of historic intensity, may hit there as well.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
That’s one scary storm. It’s moving at ONE mph through the Bahamas. I can’t remember the last time a major storm stalled that completely over mostly water.

I saw a pic from the eye this morning. It has the most beautiful eye wall I’ve seen. Which, of course, means it’s very well organized and has very low pressure; it was down to 910 mbar yesterday.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That’s one scary storm. It’s moving at ONE mph through the Bahamas. I can’t remember the last time a major storm stalled that completely over mostly water.

I saw a pic from the eye this morning. It has the most beautiful eye wall I’ve seen. Which, of course, means it’s very well organized and has very low pressure; it was down to 910 mbar yesterday.
Wow.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Video of the airport in the Bahamas shows landing fields are completely inundated with levels up to 3 to 4 feet. Incredible.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Yeah, they’re predicting storm surge up to 25 feet, on top of the already high tides.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Dorian has been downgraded to a Cat 4. Actually, he is 1 mph under a Cat 5.

We live on the border between Polk and Osceola counties, Polk side, in the Kissimmee area, one mile from the county line. We went to a tropical storm watch late yesterday. Osceola is in a tropical storm warning since last night. All our prep was done by Thursday. Yesterday the roads were pretty empty of traffic. All the Labor Day activities planned for the community are cancelled. All the amenities, pools and our 3 restaurants are closed until further notice. Our Veterans club sponsors Flags Over Solivita. No flags up this weekend. Our CERT team, of which we are members, have been on alert since Friday. Mobilization, if needed, will be after the storm passes. Area schools are closed thru at least Wednesday.

A small shift to the west and we will be looking at higher winds and maybe more intense rain bands. Late tonight should be the start for us with late Tuesday thru Wednesday being the brunt of the storm. Shore line counties from West Palm Beach up to Flagler and Volusia (Daytona Beach area) counties are under a hurricane warning.

Neighbors were helping neighbors yesterday to clear lanais of furniture and other potential projectiles. Already organized our cul-de-sac for food if we loose power. Out comes my camping stove, Dutch ovens, cast iron skillets, coffee pot and the like. One gas grille ready to join in. We'll wing the menus if needed. And for a little levity, we have plenty of wine, beer and hard stuff!

The State of Florida has done its job. Over 28,000 utility crews have been organized and staged around the state. Tolls on almost all roads have been suspended. Mandatory evacuations have been started in the store line communities with the highest storm threat.

To all in Dorian's path, stay safe and God Bless.

Reaction Score
I don't know how many Byers live on the Florida coast, as I do, but we are in a constant state of uncertainty because of this dangerous and unpredictable storm. Would appreciate your sending some good thoughts our way, and save a few for people in the Carolinas as well, because the storm, which is of historic intensity, may hit there as well.
As one who has run out of Fla tooo many times my advise to you is LEAVE NOW GET THE HELL OUT. IT ISN'T SAFE. GOOD LUCK THE ONLY SAFE PLACE IN FLA IS THE PAN HANDLE--GET THERE.

Reaction Score
As my handle indicates, I live in Oviedo, FL, in Seminole County, which is north to northeast of Orlando. We presently have a Tropical Storm Warning for our county.

I was just on my way outside to stow the plants and furniture on my porches when an alert went off on my phone. It was a call for voluntary evacuations in Seminole County for people who live in mobile homes and in low-lying or flood-prone areas. (does not apply to me)

I've lived in FL for 35 years now (CT native), and have gotten through Irma a couple of years ago and the trifecta in 2004, along with a few tropical storms and the scare that was Matthew. Getting ready for this storm, for some reason, has been extremely stressful, more so than usual. I never in a million years thought I'd say this, but moving out of FL is sounding better and better to me.

Monsters really do exist. This storm is a monster. The people of the Bahamas need your prayers, and we do, too. Thanks.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
As my handle indicates, I live in Oviedo, FL, in Seminole County, which is north to northeast of Orlando. We presently have a Tropical Storm Warning for our county.

I was just on my way outside to stow the plants and furniture on my porches when an alert went off on my phone. It was a call for voluntary evacuations in Seminole County for people who live in mobile homes and in low-lying or flood-prone areas. (does not apply to me)

I've lived in FL for 35 years now (CT native), and have gotten through Irma a couple of years ago and the trifecta in 2004, along with a few tropical storms and the scare that was Matthew. Getting ready for this storm, for some reason, has been extremely stressful, more so than usual. I never in a million years thought I'd say this, but moving out of FL is sounding better and better to me.

Monsters really do exist. This storm is a monster. The people of the Bahamas need your prayers, and we do, too. Thanks.
You can move to Nevada where all we have is mostly sunny skies with dry heat, some monsoons, and an occasional earthquake. Just like Florida NO STATE income tax. Everyone in the storms path STAY SAFE, our prayers are with you ALL.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Neighbors were helping neighbors yesterday to clear lanais of furniture and other potential projectiles. Already organized our cul-de-sac for food if we loose power. Out comes my camping stove, Dutch ovens, cast iron skillets, coffee pot and the like. One gas grille ready to join in. We'll wing the menus if needed. And for a little levity, we have plenty of wine, beer and hard stuff!

The State of Florida has done its job. Over 28,000 utility crews have been organized and staged around the state. Tolls on almost all roads have been suspended. Mandatory evacuations have been started in the store line communities with the highest storm threat.

To all in Dorian's path, stay safe and God Bless.
I drove from the DC area to the end of the Middle Peninsula in Virginia Saturday. There was a bit of a slowdown on the beltway, and when I passed, it turned out it was a convoy of utility trucks from New York.

WRT provisions, I’m usually pretty well stocked. I have a gas grill and Coleman stove, a bunch of (USB rechargeable) lanterns and flashlights. I’m a homebrewer, so I can put aside 30 gallons of water. At one point we were most likely to lose power in the winter. But we lost power for several days after a derecho a few years ago, so got a generator after that. Then about five years ago we took a direct hit from a tornado. I had to literally cut a path from the driveway to the front door with a chainsaw. We didn’t have warning for those two to put water away, but didn’t need it.

Y’all Floridians (and Georgians and Carolinians) are in my thoughts.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It is hard to "Like" their comments. But I did it as a show of concern and support. Hopefully folks that live on the eastern seaboard will come out of this with no loss of life, and little or no property damage. Praying that the storm makes a sharp right hand turn and goes out to sea to die. Praying that life for ALL returns to normal quickly.

Reaction Score
Live 20 miles north of Tampa and am not supposed to get ANYTHING.
Half of the gas stations are out of gas and there is no water anywhere.
Funny how the price of gas went to $2.39 EVERYWHERE from $2.23 last week.
Over 2500 complaints filed for price gouging.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Sending prayers to all in the path of Dorian. I am praying all will be safe. I will be making calls to Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina to do a check-in.

To all in the path of Dorian,
Please if you are able to, check in on Boneyard, so we know everyone is safe. I hope the Administrators DO NOT mind if there is a thread created for this.

Reaction Score
I live in West Palm Beach and I believe we have skirted the worst of Dorian. Lot rain and wind but not the real bad stuff....Anyway ---> GO HUSKIES

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Live 20 miles north of Tampa and am not supposed to get ANYTHING.
Half of the gas stations are out of gas and there is no water anywhere.
Funny how the price of gas went to $2.39 EVERYWHERE from $2.23 last week.
Over 2500 complaints filed for price gouging.

Funny how things work. I’m out on the west coast in So California. I wish I could find some gas for $2.39 a gallon. I’d fill up all of my vehicles.

The cheapest gas here available to the general public (not members of discount mega stores) in my neighborhood is $3.19 a gallon. The most expensive being $3.89 a gallon (per gas buddy). Gas in California is high because of all of the taxes the lawmakers regularly put on gas.

When they resolve that a need exists for more revenue, they slap a new 1-3 cent a gallon tax on gas. For us, it’s like death by a thousand paper cuts. There are approximately 40+ million people in California. A lot of them have cars. Only a few use public transportation. And the funny thing is we have 7 gasoline refineries here in the southland.

According to AAA, California has the dubious honor of having the highest gas prices in the country (over $4.00 a gallon in some places, i.e, premium gas in the desert areas). Even higher than Hawaii who comes in second. They do have one refinery there, or they'd be number one. ALL of their gas would have to be imported from the mainland which means additional transportation costs passed on to the consumer. :confused:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
All the preparations that could be made have been made. Hopefully the storm stays off the coast far enough that the damage is minimal. Regardless, there will be significant beach erosion at the very least.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I don't know if many 'yarders know the Abacos.
It is (was), a stunning area, my wife and used to sail out there from the Lauderdale area most summers...a substantial Island...Abaco, with a string of barrier Islands, some small (Man-O-War),
others larger (Guana) ,

Recent history is the locals trying to beat back (unsuccessfully), large scale developments for the 1%
such as the one in the North of Guana..used to be a splendid wilderness-like spot; no longer.

Man-O-War, Guana, Green Turtle Cay, and Elbow Cay with its acclaimed Hopetown harbor with its Candy covered lighthouse, took a frightful beating...local description:

good morning all- We are picking up what is left on Elbow Cay. I have been posting thru out on my blue moon cottage page on FB with pictures and reports. Blu moon is gone nothing is left. my neighbors on all sides homes are also gone wind chimes, dock house and windward mark might be gone as well. Sand piper gone. Sea spray gone completely all boats gone or blown on shore. Hopetown harbour lodge totaled but parts still standing, coffee house gone, most buildings on shore in harbour gone or severely damaged. more reports coming in today. So far no loss of life has been reported in HT but I am not sure how people survived. It is horrific. WE need you help yes! PLEASE do not rush down right now. understand no place for you to stay, no power or supplies. very few docks left. assessing if anything lik hope town and marina area safe. lighthouse marine dry storage collapsed. boats pulled into hurricane hole sunk. Boat harbour boats lost. we need to have heavy equipment to move debris, salvage to pull boats and debris from water.. At this time help like batteries not as needed it is like needle In haystack fix. Most people will be evacuated off island and might need home hosting while they figure out how and where to live. This is a HUGE HUGE project. Elbow is more n=than 90% destroyed. MY heart is broken. We need help for weeks and months to come- BIG Help- Money help life help

(Before)

IMG_5751-wide-2-400x200.jpg

Reaction Score
It took 10 years for them to recover from Katrina in the hardest hit parts of Mississippi. I am sure it will be similar for the Bahamas, unfortunately.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom