OT: - Doo Wop Lovers | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Doo Wop Lovers

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Fun stuff, Donald.

Anyone interested in learning more should read The Complete Book of Doo-Wop by Dr. Anthony J. Gribin and Dr. Matthew M. Schiff. Chapter 11 is devoted to names, including 45 groups with names of birds and groups with names of mammals, flowers, gems, automobiles, etc.

If you're a fan of Doo-Wop, buy the book. It's 496 pages of endless information and entertainment.
One book I have is authored by both people you listed but it is entitled, "Doo Wop, The Forgotten Third Of Rock 'n Roll". It has the same information as the book you named, as well as history of groups and record labels..

Reaction Score
Cardinals, Crows, Ravens,Falcons
Cadillacs, Edsels, Impalas, Continentals
Teenagers, Schoolboys,Students,Chanters
Chantels, Shirelles, Deltairs, Teen Queens
Elegants, Mystics, Dion and the Belmonts, Four Seasons
Del-Vikings, Marcels, Impalas, Norman Fox and the Rob Roys
Skyliners, Passions, Diamonds, Cathy Jean and the Roommates
Del-Vikings, Deltairs, Dells, Deltones
Deltones, Cleftones, Fi-Tones, Mellotones
5 crowns, Jacks, Teen queens, Mellokings
Skyliners, Kathy Young and the Innocents, Sensations, Kodoks or Kodaks
Spaniels
Ya got me?
Don & Juan, Knockouts, Kalin Twins, Everly Brothers

Reaction Score
Bobby Day, Ben E king
Don Cornelius, Rufus Thomas, Martha Jean Steinberg, Steve Harvey
Dick Clark, Bruce Morrow, Murray the K, Alan Freed
My friend Harold Winley
Willie Winfield add another Pookie Hudson..come on this is hard.

Reaction Score
I mentioned this in another thread, while it isn't totally doo wop it covers much of the same era. There are a series of DVDs called "The Cruisin' Years." Each year features a replica radio program complete with commercials featuring hits from the period hosted by a famous DJ. The 58,59,60 set has Jim Carney (St Louis), Hunter Hancock (LA) , and Dick Biondi (Buffalo). Closer to the mark is the obscure Collectibles label which has such gems as "Harlem Hit Parade." Another offering of less obscure groups and titles "Dootone Rhythm and Blues which features: The Penguins, Don Julian and the Meadowlarks, Vernon Green and the Medallions, The Cuff Links, The Pipes, The Calvanes, and The Pearls. My real things are R&B and 60's and 70's Southern Soul.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
What is considered the very first doo-wop song? The first I can remember is Earth Angel by The Crew Cuts. Mid fifties.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
What is considered the very first doo-wop song? The first I can remember is Earth Angel by The Crew Cuts. Mid fifties.
That was a cover. The Penguins recorded the original song and is normally recognized as the first group to record it. Earth Angel by the Penguins and In The Still Of The Night by the Five Satins are considered the two most popular Doo Wop songs of all time. When the Crew Cuts made their recording was at a time when a number of white acts were covering songs by black artists in an attempt to make them appeal to the white teenager. However, most white teenagers preferred the original recordings. Earth Angel was by far not the first Doo Wop song.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Cardinals, Crows, Ravens,Falcons
Cadillacs, Edsels, Impalas, Continentals
Teenagers, Schoolboys,Students,Chanters
Chantels, Shirelles, Deltairs, Teen Queens
Elegants, Mystics, Dion and the Belmonts, Four Seasons
Del-Vikings, Marcels, Impalas, Norman Fox and the Rob Roys
Skyliners, Passions, Diamonds, Cathy Jean and the Roommates
Del-Vikings, Deltairs, Dells, Deltones
Deltones, Cleftones, Fi-Tones, Mellotones
5 crowns, Jacks, Teen queens, Mellokings
Skyliners, Kathy Young and the Innocents, Sensations, Kodoks or Kodaks
Spaniels
Ya got me?
Don & Juan, Knockouts, Kalin Twins, Everly Brothers
Ya got me? The Pentagons, who recorded "To Be Loved". I believe they were from California.

Reaction Score
"Crying in the Chapel" by Sonny Til and The Orioles is one of the earliest (1953) the same year as The Flamingos and "Golden Tear Drops"

Reaction Score
THIS THREAD COVERS THE YEARS 1950 THROUGH 1962

Can you name at least:

4 Bird Groups, 4 Car Groups, 4 Teenage Groups
4 Girl Groups, 4 Italian Groups, 4 Interracial Groups
4 All White Groups, 4 Groups with the name Del or Dell in their name
4 Groups with the word Tone in their names
4 Groups named after Royalty, 4 Groups with one girl in it
1 group named after a dog, 1 Group named after a well known Government Building *
4 Duets, 2 well known Solo artists who once sang lead in well known groups
4 Black Personality Dee Jays, 4 White personality Dee Jays
The Best Bass Singer, The Best Lead Singer
CLUE * = This Group (Government Building) was from California

Something to do while you sit around the house being safe.
Bird Groups: Wrens, Larks, Cardinals, Swallows
A Capella: Zircons, RobRoys, DellVikings, Camelots
Car groups: Impalas, Edsels, Cadillacs, Jaguars
Best Bass: Bill Pinckney, Best Lead: Jas Shepherd, Rudy West, Richard Blandon
Best Girls: Chantels, Bobbettes, Clickettes, Angels

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Bird Groups: Wrens, Larks, Cardinals, Swallows
A Capella: Zircons, RobRoys, DellVikings, Camelots
Car groups: Impalas, Edsels, Cadillacs, Jaguars
Best Bass: Bill Pinckney, Best Lead: Jas Shepherd, Rudy West, Richard Blandon
Best Girls: Chantels, Bobbettes, Clickettes, Angels
My favorite lead singer was James "Pookie" Hudson of the Spaniels. Best Bass: Gerald Gregory of the Spaniels. Smoothest Bass: Wally Roker of the Heartbeats

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score

As you might expect, Zorro, there's some debate about this but I think many Doo-Wop devotees might cite "It's Too Soon to Know," by The Orioles, which hit the charts (R&B #1, Pop #13) in August of 1948. "Count Every Star," by The Ravens, came 20 months later, followed by "The Glory of Love," by The Five Keys, in 1951.

Chronologically, those three songs pre-date "Gee," "Crying in the Chapel," "Money Honey," and "A Sunday Kind of Love," all of which were issued in 1953. The following year brought such Doo-Wop classics as The Spaniels fabulous "Goodnite Sweetheart, Goodnite" (Yes, TonyC spelling on that one), "Sh-Boom," "Gloria," "Hearts of Stone," "Earth Angel" and "Sincerely," among others.

Great songs, great memories.

Reaction Score
I mentioned this in another thread, while it isn't totally doo wop it covers much of the same era. There are a series of DVDs called "The Cruisin' Years." Each year features a replica radio program complete with commercials featuring hits from the period hosted by a famous DJ. The 58,59,60 set has Jim Carney (St Louis), Hunter Hancock (LA) , and Dick Biondi (Buffalo). Closer to the mark is the obscure Collectibles label which has such gems as "Harlem Hit Parade." Another offering of less obscure groups and titles "Dootone Rhythm and Blues which features: The Penguins, Don Julian and the Meadowlarks, Vernon Green and the Medallions, The Cuff Links, The Pipes, The Calvanes, and The Pearls. My real things are R&B and 60's and 70's Southern Soul.

I remeber listening to Dick Biondi on WLS in Chicago. He was hilarious commenting about his big nose all the time. He went to Buffallo on W-KBW I believe.

Reaction Score
The Ink Spots for those of you who love Doo Wop; you should try this group. There is an excellent anthology Ink Spots Retrospective on YouTube. It runs 21/2 hours, but there are many single cuts available. The group was inducted into the R&R Hall of Fame in 1989. The members so inducted are: Bill Kenny tenor lead, Charlie Fuqua, Derrick Wilson, Jerry Daniels, and Orville Jones. Their height was between 39 and 46. They had numerous #1s. They recorded both ballads and uptempo numbers. My favorite uptempo number is Java Jive; Manhattan Transfer made a famous cover.

The group had three guitar players and one member who played a cello like a standup bass. When Bill Kenny
joined the group in 1936 after winning an amateur contest at the Savoy Ballroom he introduced a new style called Top and Bottom. Kenny would sing the first chorus then the second chorus would be spoken by the bass.
My favorite ballad is We Three (My Shadow, My Echo, and Me).

Some other highlights are If I Didn't Care which sold 19 million copies, two numbers with Ella Fitzgerald., I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire, and The Gypsy which was #1 for 13 straight weeks. The group starts its songs with a riff which remains basically the same. Their music is featured in "Shawshank Redemption." The sound quality on You Tube is less than stellar; if you can find a DVD the sound is far superior. Remember The Platters My Prayer; it is a cover of The Ink Spots. My lone DVD has only 15 songs. Much of their work was destroyed in a huge fire at Universal. Without the masters, we are stuck with what we have.

While I am writing this comment; I am listening to my DVD. I love this music, but my quest has derailed my
daily reviews on films worth viewing. Since I pulled all my acapella and related music; I'm likely to do this again.
Did you receive an e-mail telling you that the Boneyard is still open? We are already addicted, but as far as I know it doesn't add pounds, nor does it contribute to breathing problems. Those of you with serious heart problems may be in another category, but rely on your doctor's advice.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
THIS THREAD COVERS THE YEARS 1950 THROUGH 1962

Can you name at least:

4 Bird Groups, 4 Car Groups, 4 Teenage Groups
4 Girl Groups, 4 Italian Groups, 4 Interracial Groups
4 All White Groups, 4 Groups with the name Del or Dell in their name
4 Groups with the word Tone in their names
4 Groups named after Royalty, 4 Groups with one girl in it
1 group named after a dog, 1 Group named after a well known Government Building *
4 Duets, 2 well known Solo artists who once sang lead in well known groups
4 Black Personality Dee Jays, 4 White personality Dee Jays
The Best Bass Singer, The Best Lead Singer
CLUE * = This Group (Government Building) was from California

Something to do while you sit around the house being safe.
1962 as a cut off, very tough, might have to check with a higher authority, sister graduated HS in 62.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
1962 as a cut off, very tough, might have to check with a higher authority, sister graduated HS in 62.
Doo wop had all but died out by then. Motown was starting to take over and then the British Invasion in 1964.

Reaction Score
"Street Corner Symphony"

I had a misconception that the Belmonts' medley preceded the Persuasions album, but I'm going to rewrite history and begin with the Belmonts. This group was from the Bronx. The founding members were Carlo Mastrangelo Bass/baritone, Fred Milano 2nd tenor, and Angelo D'Aleo 1st tenor. They added Dion De Muci and became Dion and the Belmonts. In 1957 they released "I Wonder Why" on Laurie. They had big hits with "Where or When" and "A Teenager in Love." As Griel Marcus put it: In 1960 Dion went solo, and the Belmonts went nowhere. They bounced around labels until in 1972 they recorded one of the best Doo Wop albums ever "Cigars, Acapella, Candy." It had only 8 tracks including a reprise of "Where or When." Other cuts include "My Lord," "Loving You Is Sweeter than Ever," and "Na, Na, Hey, Hey, Kiss Him Goodbye;" but the key cut is a 14 song medley"Street Corner Symphony." This is a must hear; it is available for free on YouTube.

The Persuasions album "Street Corner Symphony" was released on Capitol in 1971. The full album is available on You Tube. The Persuasions grew up in BedSty in the '50's. They sang on the corners, but their first album Acapella didn't come out until 1968. This is their third album, and it has some notable cuts "Buffalo Soldiers," and a medley of "He A'int Heavy; He's My Brother" and "You've Got a Friend."

From this title we have a Nashville based acapella group which formed to compete on NBC's "Sing Off." They came in 2nd in the second season. If you google Street Corner Symphony that's where you will be directed. They are okay, but really listen to the Persuasions and the Belmonts.

I will return to the Persuasions and write something about both editions of the Drifters my favorite classic doo-wop group. Now listening to the Ravens which many call 'the greatest group." They distinctively had bass/ baritone leads.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
I never liked the sound of the Persuations. The Ravens had the best Bass ever in Jimmy Ricks. Gerald Gregory of the Spaniels, my favorite bass, patterned his style after Ricks. The Drifters had many personnel changes and once fired the entire group and added a new one that had Ben E. King.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
"Street Corner Symphony"

I had a misconception that the Belmonts' medley preceded the Persuasions album, but I'm going to rewrite history and begin with the Belmonts. This group was from the Bronx. The founding members were Carlo Mastrangelo Bass/baritone, Fred Milano 2nd tenor, and Angelo D'Aleo 1st tenor. They added Dion De Muci and became Dion and the Belmonts. In 1957 they released "I Wonder Why" on Laurie. They had big hits with "Where or When" and "A Teenager in Love." As Griel Marcus put it: In 1960 Dion went solo, and the Belmonts went nowhere. They bounced around labels until in 1972 they recorded one of the best Doo Wop albums ever "Cigars, Acapella, Candy." It had only 8 tracks including a reprise of "Where or When." Other cuts include "My Lord," "Loving You Is Sweeter than Ever," and "Na, Na, Hey, Hey, Kiss Him Goodbye;" but the key cut is a 14 song medley"Street Corner Symphony." This is a must hear; it is available for free on YouTube.

The Persuasions album "Street Corner Symphony" was released on Capitol in 1971. The full album is available on You Tube. The Persuasions grew up in BedSty in the '50's. They sang on the corners, but their first album Acapella didn't come out until 1968. This is their third album, and it has some notable cuts "Buffalo Soldiers," and a medley of "He A'int Heavy; He's My Brother" and "You've Got a Friend."

From this title we have a Nashville based acapella group which formed to compete on NBC's "Sing Off." They came in 2nd in the second season. If you google Street Corner Symphony that's where you will be directed. They are okay, but really listen to the Persuasions and the Belmonts.

I will return to the Persuasions and write something about both editions of the Drifters my favorite classic doo-wop group. Now listening to the Ravens which many call 'the greatest group." They distinctively had bass/ baritone leads.
To be sure, The Belmonts weren't the same without Dion but they did have at least one hit with the jaunty "Tell Me Why."

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I never liked the sound of the Persuations. The Ravens had the best Bass ever in Jimmy Ricks. Gerald Gregory of the Spaniels, my favorite bass, patterned his style after Ricks. The Drifters had many personnel changes and once fired the entire group and added a new one that had Ben E. King.
The Ravens version of "Count Every Star" is one of my favorites. Released in 1950. it was an early doo wop hit.

Reaction Score
[/QUOT

Intersting story on how the Drifters were fired in 1958. the were appearing at the Apollo Theater and after a week of performing, one of the original Drifters cursed out the man that brought the show to the apollo Dr. Jive and also the Apollo owner Frank Schiffman and because there had been problems leading up to that incident, their manager George Treadwell fired the whole group and the new Drifters were born fromthe 5 Crowns group that included Ben E. King,Dock Green,Charlie Thomas and Elsbeary Hobbs. "There goes My Baby was the 1st song released by the new Drifters. It was during that time that Benjamin Earl Nelson changed his name to Ben E King.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom