Donyell to CCSU | The Boneyard

Donyell to CCSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Congrats to Donyell. Kind of bummed that he won't be on our bench, but I'm thrilled to see another UConn alum as a head coach.

He's got quite a job in front of him. Hope he can turn CCSU's program around.

Reaction Score
His interview must have been just amazing, since all evidence pointed to this job going elsewhere--and him to Rutgers--just last week.

I hope he does well.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He has paid his dues as an assistant and it's great for him to show his stuff as an HC now. Wish him well.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Who will he fill his staff with. Lots of UConn guys out there. Will he take from Ollie?

Reaction Score
Who will he fill his staff with. Lots of UConn guys out there. Will he take from Ollie?
Was literally about to ask that very question. Needs someone for the associate head coach role. Wouldn't be surprised if he takes one.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
It's only up from here Donyell! You can't get any lower than 351 in RPI, BPI and just about every ranking in the country!

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Was literally about to ask that very question. Needs someone for the associate head coach role. Wouldn't be surprised if he takes one.
I would think we would give looks to Ricky & Scotty.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Very happy for Donyell. The only issue there is will he being there compel us to keep scheduling CCSU? Because we need to be done with that and I thought Howie leaving was going to accomplish that.

Reaction Score
Burrell is someone I hadn't thought of.

Personally, of our remaining members of the bench, (outside of KO obviously) I'd most like to keep Ricky. Seems to be doing really well on the recruiting trail.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Congrats to DM. Only bummer is we now have to keep CCSU on our schedule. Hopefully Yell gets them good soon.

Reaction Score

Ricky's not going to leave UConn for CCSU, even if it's as associate head coach.

If I were to guess, I'd say Burrell has a very good chance at earning that role, with Taliek (huge AAU presence & connections in NYC) brought on as a recruiter.

No idea who else is on the list (Donyell surely has extensive contacts that go well beyond his alma mater), but if you're looking for UConn guys who'd end up at CCSU you have to move past our bench to find ones who'd take the job.

Reaction Score
He's not turning CCSU around, they just on a different level. CCSU can't recruit like most programs. No team in the Northeast Conf will ever dominate, they take turns. I think it's a good move for Donyell. He can focus on recruiting and coaching. I think he'll be successful and I think he'll move on, but in the short term is a very positive move for CCSU, a win win.

Reaction Score
He's not turning CCSU around, they just on a different level. CCSU can't recruit like most programs. No team in the Northeast Conf will ever dominate, they take turns.
It took Howie 2 years to build the program, and from years 3-through-11 under him, they had just one losing season.

In his last 9 years they had 8 losing seasons, including 9-51 combined in the last two.

Donyell would very much be turning the program around if he lifts it back to in-conference respectability. And while you're correct that nobody in the NEC really dominates, Wagner's finished first or second in the conference for five of the last six seasons, and Robert Morris strung together four straight 20+ win seasons before falling off a cliff this year.

Reaction Score
It took Howie 2 years to build the program, and from years 3-through-11 under him, they had just one losing season.

In his last 9 years they had 8 losing seasons, including 9-51 combined in the last two.

Donyell would very much be turning the program around if he lifts it back to in-conference respectability. And while you're correct that nobody in the NEC really dominates, Wagner's finished first or second in the conference for five of the last six seasons, and Robert Morris strung together four straight 20+ win seasons before falling off a cliff this year.

I see what you're saying. I can agree with that

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Very happy for Donyell. The only issue there is will he being there compel us to keep scheduling CCSU? Because we need to be done with that and I thought Howie leaving was going to accomplish that.

I had the exact same thought.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Congratulations to the Reading Reed!!

Ya think the Blue Devils will shoot 500 fts/day?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I kind of look at it the other way: I like having the UConn family tie-in for as many of our cupcakes/OOC games as we can. At least it adds an element of interest. Geno does it with Rizzotti at UHa.

Hell, at this point we could schedule a nice little tournament like the old CT Mutual Classic, but have it feature only schools with UConn family coaches. Right now we'd have QU, SCSU, CCSU, Rutgers and DePaul. Anyone else I'm missing? Not a bad little collection of varying potential.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Ricky's not going to leave UConn for CCSU, even if it's as associate head coach.

If I were to guess, I'd say Burrell has a very good chance at earning that role, with Taliek (huge AAU presence & connections in NYC) brought on as a recruiter.

No idea who else is on the list (Donyell surely has extensive contacts that go well beyond his alma mater), but if you're looking for UConn guys who'd end up at CCSU you have to move past our bench to find ones who'd take the job.

I know I'm in the minority, but I'd love to see Taliek on the UCONN staff, assuming KO wants to stay in the family.

He's got those good connections as you say, and a dirty/city attitude that I think would translate well to the kids (frankly, the guys on this team could use a bit of that NYC street sauce).

Reaction Score
He's not turning CCSU around, they just on a different level. CCSU can't recruit like most programs. No team in the Northeast Conf will ever dominate, they take turns. I think it's a good move for Donyell. He can focus on recruiting and coaching. I think he'll be successful and I think he'll move on, but in the short term is a very positive move for CCSU, a win win.
I think CCSU is now set up to move on from the NEC. They're the only public school in that conference. In the next 2 years their main sports (football, wbb) along with expectations of better MBB play will probably help them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom