Donyell Marshall has "the answer" | The Boneyard

Donyell Marshall has "the answer"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I haven't followed this year at all for Buffalo & Donyell, but decided to do a little research after seeing his name brought up in the Miller thread, and came upon this article.

UB assistant and former NBA standout Donyell Marshall has ‘the answer’

The whole thing is worth reading, but here are a couple of excerpts for the lazy:

----

Marshall started thinking seriously about coaching over the last five years of his playing career, which ended in 2009. He spent summers over that span coaching an AAU youth team that he owned.

“Coaching the AAU team, I saw the connection I had with kids,” Marshall said. “Basketball is about X’s and O’s. But I also think if you can get the kids to play hard for you, and respect you, and if they know you love them, they’ll run through a wall for you. I think I was able to do that with my AAU team, and I felt like I could be good at this.”

He dove right in. UConn alumnus Karl Hobbs was head coach at George Washington and hired Marshall as an assistant in 2010.

“I remember one day at GW, one of our big guys was walking on campus, slumping along, and we were standing there watching,” Hobbs said. “And I recall Donyell telling him, ‘Hey, hey, walk like a big man! Stick your chest out. Pick your head up. You’re a big guy.’ I would have never thought to say that to a big guy. That was an aha moment to me. It was a little thing but it was a big thing.

“I watched him work with our big guys, how he was able to connect with them and teach them all the fundamentals of the game,” Hobbs said. “My players always wanted to be around Donyell. They would come by his apartment. As a head coach you love that because relationships and knowing what these kids are thinking is 80 percent of the coaching.”

----

Oats takes full advantage of Marshall’s experience. Marshall is responsible for coaching the big men. But he also works with perimeter shooters on the side.

“He’s kind of like the big man-slash-shooting coach,” Oats said. “It’s good for the guys. He played in the league, and he’s humble. He wants to give back.”

“He brought us to his house before the Kent State game,” said UB guard Jarryn Skeete. “And we got to see he’s got every UConn player jersey signed, every top player he played with signed − LeBron, Kobe, Steve Nash, Gilbert Arenas. He’s got a UConn pool table, UConn flooring in his basement. … He’s actually a really cool dude. He’s super down to earth.”

----

And here are a few other things I've been able to dig up with some very cursory searches about Buffalo's season:

- They lost their top 3 and 5 of their top 8 rotation players from last year's 23-10 team that made the NCAA's under Bobby Hurley. New coach is Nate Oats, who has them at a respectable 17-14 and 3rd in the Mid-Atlantic
- They were 60th in Kenpom last year, 155th this year.
- Their current roster is waaaaay undersized, with only one player (reserve freshman Ikenna Smart) taller than 6-foot-8. Smart's minutes seem to be limited by foul trouble rather than productivity
- Buffalo's incoming recruiting class is, by their standards, outstanding. It's led by big (6-foot-11, 250 lbs) 3-star center Brock Bertram and springy (6-foot-8, 210 lbs) 3-star PF Quate McKinzie, both of whom signed in the fall after Donyell's arrival (it's not clear if that was a factor). They are also considered favorites for 3-star PG Jalen Harris. I went back 10 years, and never in the program's history have they signed more than one 3-star recruit

----

It's nice to see Donyell doing well. I'm not one who thinks the staff needs a shake-up, but if one comes in the next couple of years, hopefully Donyell will have had so much success by then that he becomes the obvious hire.

Reaction Score
I haven't followed this year at all for Buffalo & Donyell, but decided to do a little research after seeing his name brought up in the Miller thread, and came upon this article.

UB assistant and former NBA standout Donyell Marshall has ‘the answer’

The whole thing is worth reading, but here are a couple of excerpts for the lazy:

----

Marshall started thinking seriously about coaching over the last five years of his playing career, which ended in 2009. He spent summers over that span coaching an AAU youth team that he owned.

“Coaching the AAU team, I saw the connection I had with kids,” Marshall said. “Basketball is about X’s and O’s. But I also think if you can get the kids to play hard for you, and respect you, and if they know you love them, they’ll run through a wall for you. I think I was able to do that with my AAU team, and I felt like I could be good at this.”

He dove right in. UConn alumnus Karl Hobbs was head coach at George Washington and hired Marshall as an assistant in 2010.

“I remember one day at GW, one of our big guys was walking on campus, slumping along, and we were standing there watching,” Hobbs said. “And I recall Donyell telling him, ‘Hey, hey, walk like a big man! Stick your chest out. Pick your head up. You’re a big guy.’ I would have never thought to say that to a big guy. That was an aha moment to me. It was a little thing but it was a big thing.

“I watched him work with our big guys, how he was able to connect with them and teach them all the fundamentals of the game,” Hobbs said. “My players always wanted to be around Donyell. They would come by his apartment. As a head coach you love that because relationships and knowing what these kids are thinking is 80 percent of the coaching.”

----

Oats takes full advantage of Marshall’s experience. Marshall is responsible for coaching the big men. But he also works with perimeter shooters on the side.

“He’s kind of like the big man-slash-shooting coach,” Oats said. “It’s good for the guys. He played in the league, and he’s humble. He wants to give back.”

“He brought us to his house before the Kent State game,” said UB guard Jarryn Skeete. “And we got to see he’s got every UConn player jersey signed, every top player he played with signed − LeBron, Kobe, Steve Nash, Gilbert Arenas. He’s got a UConn pool table, UConn flooring in his basement. … He’s actually a really cool dude. He’s super down to earth.”

----

And here are a few other things I've been able to dig up with some very cursory searches about Buffalo's season:

- They lost their top 3 and 5 of their top 8 rotation players from last year's 23-10 team that made the NCAA's under Bobby Hurley. New coach is Nate Oats, who has them at a respectable 17-14 and 3rd in the Mid-Atlantic
- They were 60th in Kenpom last year, 155th this year.
- Their current roster is waaaaay undersized, with only one player (reserve freshman Ikenna Smart) taller than 6-foot-8. Smart's minutes seem to be limited by foul trouble rather than productivity
- Buffalo's incoming recruiting class is, by their standards, outstanding. It's led by big (6-foot-11, 250 lbs) 3-star center Brock Bertram and springy (6-foot-8, 210 lbs) 3-star PF Quate McKinzie, both of whom signed in the fall after Donyell's arrival (it's not clear if that was a factor). They are also considered favorites for 3-star PG Jalen Harris. I went back 10 years, and never in the program's history have they signed more than one 3-star recruit

----

It's nice to see Donyell doing well. I'm not one who thinks the staff needs a shake-up, but if one comes in the next couple of years, hopefully Donyell will have had so much success by then that he becomes the obvious hire.
My alma mater. Would love to have him for shooting and bigs but what we really need is another Donyell.

Reaction Score
Would love to see him on our bench. I believe Enoch and Brown can greatly benefit with having him here. Also he has reached a level of success no one on our bench has reached. That includes the HC. If he can help with their recruitment imagine what he can do for our program. This guy bleeds UConn. Ollie it's time to make a change.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Would love to see him on our bench. I believe Enoch and Brown can greatly benefit with having him here. Also he has reached a level of success no one on our bench has reached. That includes the HC. If he can help with their recruitment imagine what he can do for our program. This guy bleeds UConn. Ollie it's time to make a change.
Christ, dude. The four guys on the bench have 4-straight 20-win seasons, won a title two years ago and have a top-5 recruiting class coming in this fall.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

Our head coach has a national title; might want to re-think this statement.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Sold.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Christ, dude. The four guys on the bench have 4-straight 20-win seasons, won a title two years ago and have a top-5 recruiting class coming in this fall.
Monks%27_Corridor.jpg

Reaction Score
Do you think if we put Foxen's jersey on him and started him against Cinci anyone would notice?

Reaction Score
I been saying this for a while Donyell makes so much sense

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I been saying this for a while Donyell makes so much sense
...and he expressed interest in joining the staff. I think he was a little bummed about either Ricky or Kevin's hire.

Reaction Score

I don't think anyone is advocating forcing one of the staff out, but if someone were to leave, I'd love to see Donyell on the bench.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Don't want Donyell on the bench. Just gonna leave that here.

Reaction Score
Don't want Donyell on the bench. Just gonna leave that here.
? Donyell was one of our earliest big time commits, and that I will not forget to somewhat quote the godfather, but having successful big players translate their skills to players doesn't always happen. Hobbs and Moore are great point guards. How's that working out this year? You really have to have the talent to work with. Gibbs didn't have those skills, and coaching wasn't going to help that. Donyell made a ton of money in the pros and does not need to do this so it seems he has a passion for working with young players. Why in the world would we not want him?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Can't say that without a little more insight. What you got?
? Donyell was one of our earliest big time commits, and that I will not forget to somewhat quote the godfather, but having successful big players translate their skills to players doesn't always happen. Hobbs and Moore are great point guards. How's that working out this year? You really have to have the talent to work with. Gibbs didn't have those skills, and coaching wasn't going to help that. Donyell made a ton of money in the pros and does not need to do this so it seems he has a passion for working with young players. Why in the world would we not want him?
We have a connection to Donyell more so than most other players. It makes him harder to fire. We are in the business of winning championships and producing a national title contender every year. Giving way to personal relationships and "staying in the family" clouds that business plan IMO.

Reaction Score
We have a connection to Donyell more so than most other players. It makes him harder to fire. We are in the business of winning championships and producing a national title contender every year. Giving way to personal relationships and "staying in the family" clouds that business plan IMO.

Ok, thought you were implying some unseemly issue with Donyell. Anyway, I don't think you can say no to Donyell if he is succeeding elsewhere. We've got a full staff of coaches we are "loyal" to due to their connection to the program. None of them are as valuable as Donyell in terms of notoriety and recruiting potential. Why draw the line now. We could always replace someone with Donyell.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
I can understand not wanting to stick with UConn guys only on the staff. But to expressly dismiss the idea of an otherwise qualified candidate because he went to UConn is weird.

Reaction Score
When you think of how we focus on guard play. Using screens. In and out. Need rebounding and a steady not great but steady post presence. Wouldn't Texas jake voskuhl fit this better any big we have had?? He should be considered

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
UConn needs a big man coach and he would be just that. I am open to others but something needs to change going forward.

Reaction Score
Matrim, great research on Donyell. I really don't know what coaching skills Donyell has but his Husky credentials are impeccable, and if he can motivate kids to play hard and "run through a wall" don't we need some passion and enthusiasm on our bench? Have you looked at our coaches during a game lately? I've seen more animated people on a funeral home slab. Donyell could have gone to any program in the US with his skills but chose UCONN. Was an NBA star. He's not qualified and doesn't deserve a shot to be an assistant coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom