Donyell Marshall 1994 Highlights | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Donyell Marshall 1994 Highlights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It was a track meet. 102-96
Ray with 36.
UCLA the only team in the country that could keep up with us in a running game. That was a real good UCLA team with Edney, Bailey (who killed us ) and the O'Bannon brothers.

Our tough break was one we didnt have a part in. The round before Missouri had UCLA dead. Up by one with UCLA needing to go full court in under 4 seconds. Missouri played the worst matador defense Ive ever seen. Edney got the ball and went coast to coast for a fricking layup in under 4 seconds. I mean one Missouri player, just one, couldnt impede his progress just a c-hair? Ive hated Missouri ever since.

Toby Bailey - career game - biggest difference. Think he was drafted solely on that game when he left early. Yep, killed us

Reaction Score
Most dominant single season of any Calhoun era UConn player. That team also ran some great stuff really well. That was a really high IQ basketball team overall and Sheffer had amazing court vision.

As much as I saw of Doron and Yell back then, after watching this I'm still amazed at how good they were. Doron was as good a passer as anyone that ever played college hoops. One poster mentioned that 2 seconds after a team scored on us, we'd score on a break. And this happened regularly with Doron to Donnie or Yell or Ray. It didn't matter who was on the receiving end as they all had great hands and could finish at the rim. Great team to watch and Yell was an absolute beast throughout that season. Loved the way he ran the court and was unstoppable inside.

MrP

Reaction Score
Couple observations:
1. DM was a GREAT finisher, and dunked everything he could with tremendous authority.
2. His long arms made a lot of those entry passes (to him) possible. His length overall defined the parameters of what he could do on the court, and made his teammates look good on what otherwise should have been turnovers
3. I was shocked how much many of his shots reminded me of Caron. Such polished, diverse offensive games
4. He HAD to be cherry picking on some of those uncontested dunks. I mean c'mon... He was camped out at a dead standstill while no one was within 15 feet of him. I know we had a great running game, but that's not a fast break.
5. Lock DHam in a room Clockwork Orange style with this video.

Reaction Score
Wasn't he our highest recruit ever in that era? I recall the hype and hope being off the charts.

Also I think he was the standard we (or at least I) unfairly put Stanley up to.

He was the first HUGE recruit of the JC era. Donyell was so dominant that season; there was absolutely nothing that he couldn't do. It's been over 20 years and I still can't believe he missed those free throws. Still shocked. If anyone expected Sticks to be another Donyell then they sorely overestimated Stanley. Better athlete without question, but skill wise Sticks could not touch Donyell.

Reaction Score
UCLA under Harrick was filthy during those years, the NCAA should of shut the entire program down.

Reaction Score
He was the first HUGE recruit of the JC era. Donyell was so dominant that season; there was absolutely nothing that he couldn't do. It's been over 20 years and I still can't believe he missed those free throws. Still shocked. If anyone expected Sticks to be another Donyell then they sorely overestimated Stanley. Better athlete without question, but skill wise Sticks could not touch Donyell.
Yeah I agree just saying Donyell set standard that has yet been duplicated. Our guards continue to set new standards with Bazz setting a new bar. Centers still lag behind Okafor (Andre left early) and Forwards behind Donyell (DD had promise but also left early). Jeff, and Thabeet were very good I will say.

In fact wasn't Donyell our last AA at the Forward position?

Wow talking about this makes me realize we're overdue for a new era of Bigs at UConn. Perhaps this current and incoming collection will leave a mark and start a new run.

Reaction Score
Rudy was a second-team All-American in 05-06. Pretty sure he was the last one.

I think we all agree that DHam has the talent. Hopefully he can figure a few things out over the next 8 months and be ready to blow the doors off next year.

Reaction Score
Yeah I agree just saying Donyell set standard that has yet been duplicated. Our guards continue to set new standards with Bazz setting a new bar. Centers still lag behind Okafor (Andre left early) and Forwards behind Donyell (DD had promise but also left early). Jeff, and Thabeet were very good I will say.

Wow talking about this makes me realize we're overdue for a new era of Bigs at UConn. Perhaps this current and incoming collection will leave a mark and start a new run.

Rudy was a first team all-american and Charlie V was as big of a recruit as Donyell was. I can't think of anyone else on their level.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I think we all agree that DHam has the talent. Hopefully he can figure a few things out over the next 8 months and be ready to blow the doors off next year.

Rudy?

Who am I forgetting?

Reaction Score

ESPN had him as a 2nd team, NABC as first team. Rudy was immensely talented, but I, like many here I think, never thought of his career as being "all-america" like. goshdarn George Mason!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Rudy?

Who am I forgetting?

I'm a dumas. I got caught up in the Donyell years and was thinking Rudy Johnson.

Saw the 05-06. Rudy Gay. Got it.

Reaction Score
I'm a dumas. I got caught up in the Donyell years and was thinking Rudy Johnson.

Saw the 05-06. Rudy Gay. Got it.
I saw your "Rudy?" and assumed it was another Boneyard meme I just wasn't aware of...

Anyway, I think our list of top 10 recruits all-time is this:

Corney Thompson
Donyell Marshall
Charlie Villanueva
Rudy Gay
Andre Drummond

I believe Rip, KEA and DeAndre were just outside the top 10.

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
He was the main reason I started liking Uconn.

I was 8 years old didn't know much about college basketball growing up in NY.

Donyell Marshall, Calbert Cheaney, and Isiah Rider caught my eye and I decided to go with the blue and white jerseys because blue is my favorite color.

Ray Allen came soon after, turned into my favorite player, got his Uconn jersey and the rest is pretty much history, great year his junior year, with Marbury out at GTECH and Iverson at GTOWN.

Kittles at 'Nova too.

Reaction Score
Thanks @tcf15 ! I loved that team that year. I thought Donyell was going to be great pro he had so many tools. I was just a few years graduated from UConn at the time and having seen our growth from the 90 and 91 seasons when I was on campus I thought our teams would just get better and better. Which they did. He was a dominant player on a team I really liked.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
In his time, Donyell was a bigger recruit than Rudy or Charlie.
I remember the Hartford Courant's Sunday magazine having a several page article on Donyell, (featuring a life-size reproduction of his hand) before he had played a game. It was the days of Huskymania.

Reaction Score
The leap he made from his sophomore to junior seasons was unreal. He went from solid to dominant -- we had never seen anyone like him before.

For someone so skinny, he managed to be a pretty good rebounder as well.

Can we get a Rip highlight reel next?

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
I was only 5 when Donyell Marshall was a junior at UConn, so I never really got to see him play. Fortunately, with the people who have shared their collection of games with us to put up on UCHG, I've been able to watch some of his games. I've been watching the 1994 games over the last couple of months and decided to put together a vid of Donyell Marshall from that season. Enjoy.

Unreal @tcf15 Amazing work once again. Though you make me feel a little old as this was my sophomore year at UConn! :)

Those games were electric that year. I remember losing my mind in the Gampel student section on the 360 against Seton Hall.

Reaction Score
I was only 5 when Donyell Marshall was a junior at UConn, so I never really got to see him play. Fortunately, with the people who have shared their collection of games with us to put up on UCHG, I've been able to watch some of his games. I've been watching the 1994 games over the last couple of months and decided to put together a vid of Donyell Marshall from that season. Enjoy.

Great Job with the video of Donyell . One of my all time favorites. He was instrumental in the rise of the program! Great days to be a UConn hoops fan.

Reaction Score
By the way, that BC game (starting around 12:45) is one of the best games we've ever been involved in. 2OT, with a great duel between Donyell and Billy Curley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom