Don't we need a true point?? | The Boneyard

Don't we need a true point??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
After purvis who else is there? Brenden Allen or Samuels I'm not to sure either have the talent to run the point.shouldnt KO and staff focus on bringing in a boat bazz type point for 2014?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
After purvis who else is there? Not brenden Allen and Samuels I'm not to sure of.shouldnt KO and staff focus on bringing in a boat bazz type point for 2014?

You're right! I wish Ollie had thought of this.

Quick, someone get Jaybo the UConn Athletic Department phone number!

Reaction Score
A lot of folks talking about Purvis playing the point, i don't see it. Nor do I think Samuel will be ready to start as a sophomore. True PG is the most important piece of this class in my opinion.

Reaction Score
After purvis who else is there? Brenden Allen or Samuels I'm not to sure either have the talent to run the point.shouldnt KO and staff focus on bringing in a boat bazz type point for 2014?

Might not have to get a boat type pg, because there's that small chance that boat stays...as many have said on here, it would do him good even if he has a monster year (lots of good guards in the draft next year)

Reaction Score
I've been saying this for a few weeks. If Boat comes back, the need becomes slightly less acute, but Boat isn't coming back.

This is why the staff is going so hard after Perkins and others.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
Might not have to get a boat type pg, because there's that small chance that boat stays...as many have said on here, it would do him good even if he has a monster year (lots of good guards in the draft next year)

I'd love to see boat and Calhoun stay with us for the 2014 season. DD going but I'd take him another year as well.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
I've been saying this for a few weeks. If Boat comes back, the need becomes slightly less acute, but Boat isn't coming back.

This is why the staff is going so hard after Perkins and others.

I don't think he is either he really thinks he's ready already I don't see it yet but if you read a recent interview from him he's going to go.

Reaction Score
I can't see Purvis at PG full time. He has good ball handling skills, but not a PG mentality. He's more of a combo guard. He can play PG in a pinch, but not someone to run the offense full time. Similar to Ben Gordon, can pass & handle, but we really want them to play to their strength on offense, which is scoring the ball. I don't think Purvis said he wanted to become a PG full time, but handle the ball more & make decisions. At NC State, they wanted him to be more catch & shoot, which limited his ability to break opponents down off the dribble, etc. He needs more freedom. That's my take.

Reaction Score
I'd love to see boat and Calhoun stay with us for the 2014 season. DD going but I'd take him another year as well.
Let me speak for the entire board when I say Calhoun is going nowhere after next year. With DD, Bazz and Boat also looking to go to the next level, I can't see how Omar will be able to stand out enough to leave after next year. If he has such a big year that he attracts serious interest from NBA scouts, we will have probably had such a great run that I'll be more than happy for him.

Reaction Score
Boat will not stay if he gets a whiff of the NBA. No matter how much it might benefit him to do so, if he gets the chance to go pro, hes taking it.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Boat will not stay if he gets a whiff of the NBA. No matter how much it might benefit him to do so, if he gets the chance to go pro, hes taking it.
Yeah, that seems obvious - even if it would be really stupid of the kid.

Anyway, to assuage the concern of the original poster, it's pretty clear that Ollie is targeting a "real" point guard. Perkins is obviously No. 1 on the list, followed by Kaleb Joseph and Jordan McLaughlin Nos. 2 and 3 in some order.

If we should miss out on those guys, he's also targeted Lance Tejada, who's a consensus top 100 recruit, and Keith Pinckney, who was top 100 for a while but dropped this summer.

All five are pure points. Many feel that Perkins is a transcendent talent, and I agree (based, admittedly only upon YouTube highlights).

If, somehow, we don't land any of those guys, I still have confidence that Ollie will find a workable solution. Samuel wasn't exactly considered chopped liver coming out of high school, and most importantly, I suspect there's not a coaching staff in the world that knows more about how to both spot and develop a true point guard.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I think UConn would like a point in the class but I don't see them settling for just anyone. I do see two more guard/forwards in this class.

Reaction Score
I do think point guard is a need, but the Purvis/Samuel combination isn't too bad as a worst case scenario. I'd say there's a pretty good chance that one of the following happens, probably in this order of likelihood:
1) We get another PG in this class
2) Either Purvis or Samuel emerges as a guy who can take over in 2015; or
3) Boatright surprises everyone and comes back

Any one of those would solve our problems.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't be at all surprised if Boatright or Daniels returned. There are going to be a lot of mouths to feed next season - if Napier and Calhoun have the seasons I expect them to have, they are not going to be looking at guaranteed money next season.

Reaction Score
We need power forwards.

We will never lack for PGs under Ollie.

Reaction Score
I personally like Mclaughlin a little more, but Perkins reminds me a lot of Shabazz. Their play style and overall movements seem similar to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom