Don't ignore basketball | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Don't ignore basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Without UCONN BB does the state invest $1b in infrastructure etc which helps applications. Also, didn't we see a massive increase in applications for admission after each national championship? Might be wrong but don't think so. UC BB = more $'s and an subsequent increase in applications, state investment resulting in higher average SAT scores of applicants...all noted on this board previously.
Nobody is arguing the importance of UConn BB or what it has done for the university as a whole. BB also gave us entry into major college football. That still doesn't change the fact that the current conference reorganization is all about football.

Reaction Score
Maybe in terms of money in general.

But let's be honest, UConn is no one without basketball. UConn doesn't have football without basketball. And in that case, for UConn, everything is about basketball.

Of course. Success on the basketball court opened the door for everything else. But the times have changed now as football is the sports juggernaut in this country. I fear that as time goes on, if you aren't in a conference that is respected football wise, then everything else will start to suffer. Oftentimes the perception of the customer is the reality and in this case the customer wants football that is not only good, but football that has name recognition as well. These conferences are going to give that to them with "super conferences" and I would much rather Connecticut be in one then out of one. There is no "sizzle" in the Big East football conference and I'm not sure where that will come from without some sort of dramatic shifting around of teams. It just seems more likely to me that the league will be picked apart rather than built up.

Reaction Score
Of course. Success on the basketball court opened the door for everything else. But the times have changed now as football is the sports juggernaut in this country. I fear that as time goes on, if you aren't in a conference that is respected football wise, then everything else will start to suffer. Oftentimes the perception of the customer is the reality and in this case the customer wants football that is not only good, but football that has name recognition as well. These conferences are going to give that to them with "super conferences" and I would much rather Connecticut be in one then out of one. There is no "sizzle" in the Big East football conference and I'm not sure where that will come from without some sort of dramatic shifting around of teams. It just seems more likely to me that the league will be picked apart rather than built up.

Is the country sizzling about UConn football? The general answer is no. Most press has been bad thus far. Sure, we can turn it around - but this idea of just not factoring in basketball at all is absurd. Basketball should play at least an equal role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin
Top Bottom