Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Originally Published: November 21, 2011

Don't forget about UConn

Early buzz is on UNC and Kentucky, but the Huskies might be just as good

By John Gasaway
Special to ESPN Insider

Most of the country is talking about North Carolina and Kentucky this November, and rightfully so. Both teams have looked great in the early going, and the meeting between the Tar Heels and the Wildcats in Lexington on Dec. 3 should be exciting for NBA scouts and college basketball fans.
Then again, another top-five team looks pretty good right now, and it happens to be the defending national champion 4-0 Connecticut Huskies. The Huskies' schedule to this point has been soft(Columbia, Wagner, Maine and Coppin State), but there's much to learn even when a team is cruising through the easiest portion of its season. After all, the Huskies have played 268 possessions of basketball without their unquestioned leader and featured scorer from last season, Kemba Walker. How's that working for them? Who has stepped up, and has the absence of their star led to any interesting adjustments from coach Jim Calhoun?

Even before Thanksgiving, here are some early observations:
Link: http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-col...id/7264837/cbb-uconn-more-talent-many-realize

Reaction Score
Not sure what the policy is here, but posting complete articles from pay sites is usually a no-no.

This part can't be right, can it?
Get used to this win streak.
The last time the Huskies lost a regular-season game was March 5, when Notre Dame visited Gampel Pavilion in Storrs and came away with a 70-67 win. Since that day Calhoun's team has won 15 consecutive regular-season games, . . .

Reaction Score
good reads, but one thing that is always funny is when writers don't really watch the games. If these guys had watched the games, there's no doubt they would have included the tidbit that despite the hype of AO and AD, our best and most improved big to this point has been Tyler..

Reaction Score
I think unc looks the most polished right now, followed by OSU, UK, and Syracuse. Uconn will make up that ground in February.

Just to nitpick: not sure why they are using 'regular season.' The ND game was the final regular season game, so uconn's regular season win streak is a somewhat less than amazing 4.

Reaction Score
As I said in the other thread with this post, please don't cut and paste whole articles in here due to copyright laws. General rule of thumb is you can cut and paste about 10% of an article and then provide the link.

Another web site put up a pdf copy of this article. It's their problem if they're over stepping their bounds. I'm just linking to it. Here's the link,

http://cdn.ianbethune.com/ESPNuconn11-22.pdf

Reaction Score
I think unc looks the most polished right now, followed by OSU, UK, and Syracuse. Uconn will make up that ground in February.

Just to nitpick: not sure why they are using 'regular season.' The ND game was the final regular season game, so uconn's regular season win streak is a somewhat less than amazing 4.

UK looks anything but polished right now IMO. I would argue that UConn and UK have the most talent, followed closely by UNC. I agree with you that UNC, OSU, and Syracuse appear to be closer to a finished product than are other teams with less continuity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom