Don't drink the poison. | The Boneyard

Don't drink the poison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You give some kids a little sugar and they get fat and happy.

I'd be more worried about the poison pill if they were going on the road against a MAC team. Given they are playing at a ranked SEC program, I'm less worried about them being a little full on themselves.

Reaction Score
That's what Edsall used to say.

Feels damn good to win.

But don't drink the poison.

Big time road game this week.

Its got the feel of something that's very, very ripe for the picking.

But don't drink the poison.

You're quoting wisdom from a guy who just got blown out at home by a MAC team. Forget Edsall. He's a loser.

Reaction Score
Well it's not exactly a trap game for us so I say just go with the positive. Perfect what's working, trim out a few things that aren't and toss in a few special plays to exploit their tendencies. The big thing we need to clean up is special teams. We need better field position against these guys. Then we need to keep their D on the field.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
You're quoting wisdom from a guy who just got blown out at home by a MAC team. Forget Edsall. He's a loser.
70-63 v.s 3-10-1

Time will tell I suppose....

Substitute mediocre for miserable.

Just curious on your coaching adjective for 3-10-1?

Reaction Score
Yeah things sure were miserable when he was here.

We would never have been great under Edsall. Edsall will never be great anywhere.

I would rather take three steps back to have a chance to be great. I want UConn football to be great. Edsall will never get there. Anywhere. Period. Good riddance. I'm not lamenting 8-5. I want great. Oh, BTW, he had zero class.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Well as long as the players on the team aren't getting into a heated debate over Edsall's merits instead of breaking down film....

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I have zero doubt that our players will be fired up to play on Saturday. Where my doubts start to creep in are when we start talking about whether or not they will be able to handle a true hostile road environment against a team that will have as good as or better players at each position on the field.

We have to play an A+ game and Mizzou has to play a C (or worse) game for this to be competitive. If UConn covers the 20 point spread, I will still be happy with the game though. The experience they will gain from playing in a striped, sold-out and loud SEC stadium will only help them when we hit the road later in the season.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I want UConn football to be great. Edsall will never get there.
Oh, BTW, he had zero class.

Yeah - the way he handled the Jasper situation was classless.
And his HEFTY donation to the Jasper Memorial was classless as well.

Stop twisting the truth, its not the cesspool.

Can you define great and please tell us if we have a great coach now??

Dooley

Reaction Score
Yeah - the way he handled the Jasper situation was classless.
And his HEFTY donation to the Jasper Memorial was classless as well.

Stop twisting the truth, its not the cesspool.

Yeah, any hostility that our fanbase might have had for Edsall should have ended after his hefty donation was one of the main reasons that there is a (long overdue!)Jaz honour inside our stadium.

Reaction Score
I have zero doubt that our players will be fired up to play on Saturday. Where my doubts start to creep in are when we start talking about whether or not they will be able to handle a true hostile road environment against a team that will have as good as or better players at each position on the field.

We have to play an A+ game and Mizzou has to play a C (or worse) game for this to be competitive. If UConn covers the 20 point spread, I will still be happy with the game though. The experience they will gain from playing in a striped, sold-out and loud SEC stadium will only help them when we hit the road later in the season.

If we're being honest with ourselves, we are outmanned at nearly every position this Saturday. A win would even surprise Nostical. I just want to continue to make progress knowing that they are going against better players. I hate the term "moral victories" but I'd be happier than a pig in you know what if we gave Mizzou a scare and looked like a competent football team.

Reaction Score
Lol. Reading here everybody is pumped to be 2-0. Big proclamations in some discussion. It's great to see words transformed into actions. Reality is that we beat 2 teams we're supposed to beat. Edsall's phrase kept popping up in my mind. Coach Booby is still a learning head coach, and he's got to keep a team grounded when winning. With love and care of course.

We are going on the road this week to play a top 25 ranked team.

I have a dream. I'm on Jeopardy. After two rounds of Categories like: world beers, 80's heavy metal, guns, ammunition, world geography, victoria's secret models, sailing, fishing, etc...., I'm up like $45,000 before Alex announces Final Jeopardy. Category: UCONN Football.

I of course wager it all, bc wtf not.

Answer: (i'm a little teapot playing in your head now). These two Division 1A coaches have taken UCONN on the road and beaten top 25 ranked teams.

Question: Who are Bob Diaco and Paul Pasqualoni? Alex. Kaching. Pay me my money.

This of course, all happens next Monday at approx 7:28pm EST

Dooley

Reaction Score
If we're being honest with ourselves, we are outmanned at nearly every position this Saturday. A win would even surprise Nostical. I just want to continue to make progress knowing that they are going against better players. I hate the term "moral victories" but I'd be happier than a pig in you know what if we gave Mizzou a scare and looked like a competent football team.

Agreed. This team is still learning how to win games. Playing competitively against a ranked opponent on the road will be a good building block for this year and beyond. I want to see our guys fight for 60 minutes and stay within 3 scores. I expect mistakes on Saturday and I expect Mizzou to simply make plays that Nova and Army can't. But I just want to see our team fight until the end and keep it competitive.

Reaction Score
You give some kids a little sugar and they get fat and happy.

I'd be more worried about the poison pill if they were going on the road against a MAC team. Given they are playing at a ranked SEC program, I'm less worried about them being a little full on themselves.

It's a winnable game, if we're well planned and mentally prepared to do it. Missouri doesn't make me nervous, and the team shouldn't be nervous either. How we respond to winning as a team, and how we take to the road concerns me.

Reaction Score

We would never have been great under Edsall. Edsall will never be great anywhere.

I would rather take three steps back to have a chance to be great. I want UConn football to be great. Edsall will never get there. Anywhere. Period. Good riddance. I'm not lamenting 8-5. I want great. Oh, BTW, he had zero class.

Damn kid, I thought I was an Edsall hater! I agree with this post except for the three steps back thing. He left this place in good spot. The,right hire after him could have launched us. Instead we got P-eed on!

He took us as far as he could, but he did beyond a solid job here. Enough about him though.

Reaction Score
Damn kid, I thought I was an Edsall hater! I agree with this post except for the three steps back thing. He left this place in good spot. The,right hire after him could have launched us. Instead we got P-eed on!

He took us as far as he could, but he did beyond a solid job here. Enough about him though.

Edsall has been sainted by many because he was solid. Fine for them. Not for me.

Reaction Score

Agree with this.

Everyone wants a win, no question about it. But if I'm being honest as long as we continue to see progress I'll be happy regardless of what the scoreboard says.

Reaction Score
Edsall has been sainted by many because he was solid. Fine for them. Not for me.

Would you stop it? Had I known my poison pill memories brought this out I wouldn't have shared. There isn't a single player on this roster connected to Edsall, and the point of my post is that Diaco has a new challenge in front of him, and that is facing a top 25 team on the road with a young team with a little tiny taste of confidence, but they got to stay humble and grounded and working.

Serrano, had a point, but these players aren't hardened adults, they're baby faced young guys for the most part, and prone to distraction. They got to work their butts and the few older ones got to make sure they don't handle things the wrong way - and Edsall called it drinking the poison.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score

Where did anyone even say that Edsall would have taken us to greatness? For duckck's sake give it a rest.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
I wasnt surprised by the score against Army but have a feeling that HCBD and coach v were holding back huge chunks of the playbook for first two games so when hits this part of the season these tougher teams have less understanding about the offense we are going to use. I agree not to get to full of ourselves but glad that we have already won the same as last y at and only a complete melt down would have us not winning at least 2-3 more games.

Reaction Score
Drinking the poison can mean two things btw. Becoming overconfident, is the way Edsall used to use it, but it could mean being intimidated by that number in front of opponents name, or the roar of a foreign crowd.

We have no reason whatsover to be intimidated by the next opponent and the road environment.

Don't drink the poison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate