Don't be fooled by the numbers | The Boneyard

Don't be fooled by the numbers

Reaction Score
Jack Zergiotis is not a very good QB. His mechanics are terrible. He is inaccurate. Has no situational awareness or even basic football aptitute. He panics in tough situations. He has trouble reading defenses. He has ball security issues.

He has been a good kid and has represented the university well. But his performance under pressure has been extremely poor. We can't win with him.

Reaction Score
I don’t think he is the answer and he had some WTF moments this game but he also wasn’t bad.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
The end of the first half was what he really is. Doesn’t throw it away easily and takes a big loss then throws a terrible pass for an int.

Don’t even get me started on his sliding

Reaction Score
:rolleyes:
Jack Zergiotis is not a very good QB. His mechanics are terrible. He is inaccurate. Has no situational awareness or even basic football aptitute. He panics in tough situations. He has trouble reading defenses. He has ball security issues.

He has been a good kid and has represented the university well. But his performance under pressure has been extremely poor. We can't win with him.
Yes, but he does have "it".

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
He really is a mixed bag. But...my biggest concern is that he just doesn't seem to have a high football IQ. How much football has he played in Canada?

And...I still don't understand why RE doesn't give Steven Krajewski a chance. It feels like there is something going on that we don't know about. It began with not giving him reps last year when he could....and it continues into this season.

Reaction Score
UMass' biggest home crowd this year was against UConn! They need us bad. But they need better facilities to help recruit the northeast as independents.

Reaction Score
Why did Krajewski only get 2 passes?
Yea, and six or seven handoffs in a row when he got in. They could’ve given him a couple short passes or bubble screens to establish a rhythm for him. Hope he stays

Reaction Score
He's got a lot to work on. And clearly Krajewski should have gotten/be getting more of a chance to see what he can do.

He's also done some good things and is a freshman. QB is going to be a big unknown again next year.

Reaction Score
Jack Zergiotis played very well, especially for a true frosh. With him and Steven Krajewski coming back next year at least we will have some experience.

Defense still has huge holes to fill.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The INT right before half was on Edsall. Needed to use a TO to settle everyone down.

As for yardage skewed by 90 yard completion, that is true of every QB who throws a 90+ yard completion.

His peak will always be limited by his mechanics but he did a great job putting air under the ball on touch passes. That is a big progression from 2 months ago.

He needs to know when to throw ball away rather than trying to extend plays scrambling behind LOS.

I think RE put on Steven Krajewski just to show he wasn't ready.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Eh. He floated the ball 25-30 yards with touch. That's not uncommon on long TD's. It's not like it was a WR screen.
Ross completely beat his man. All he had to do was not make a terrible throw which surprisingly he did

Reaction Score
He really is a mixed bag. But...my biggest concern is that he just doesn't seem to have a high football IQ. How much football has he played in Canada?

And...I still don't understand why RE doesn't give Steven Krajewski a chance. It feels like there is something going on that we don't know about. It began with not giving him reps last year when he could....and it continues into this season.

I GUARANTEEE … the Football played in Quebec & Ontario is more passing and wide-open than any played at the high school level in New England or NY. Maybe even including the Prep schools. They PLAY CFL rules. And go watch the tape.

Reaction Score
JK was marginally more accurate passing than in past games and it made all the difference. In the Houston game his 90 yd’er to Ross would have sailed over his head.
And Edsall should have used one of his two timeouts with 23 secs in 1st half to settle JK down. And oh yes-the Huskies covered!

Reaction Score
Brought him in on a couple drives just to hand off. Just like last year. He’ll be the next Boyle slinging it for 400 yds a game at a P5 next year

The first drive they should've gone play-action right after Mensah was stopped on 2nd and short.. that said, my guess is it was planned to be a couple of series to get his feet wet after the time off and unless the team scored on those series that was all it was ever going to be this week. I like Krajewski the best of the three currently there, but I don't think there was ever a serious consideration to play him significant time the first week back.

That said, Boyle transferred down to FCS (Eastern Kentucky) not P5... which would be the likely destination (FCS) should any of the QBs currently on the roster decide to matriculate elsewhere. None of them have shown enough to get a scholarship with a mandatory year to sit out in FBS, let alone the P5 level.

Reaction Score
You guys have to cut Z some slack. He is being coached by a bunch of football Idiot Savants! Minus the savant parts. The kid struggles with what i call basic football stuff like throwing the ball way. But he's a true freshman from Canada. He is playing before he is ready because Randy is terrible at coaching, recruiting, and developing the most important position on the team.

Reaction Score

This is absurd. Jack Zergiotis is a true freshman QB that did not arrive on campus until the summer and that is what he looks like. True freshmen make mistakes, especially QBs, which is why it is rare for a true freshman QB to play let alone start.

Clearly, Jack Zergiotis needs to improve, but you can’t have high expectations for a true freshman QB. Look at the last few Heisman Trophy winners:

Kyler Murray:
True Frosh: backup at Texas A&M. 5 TDS, 7 int.
2nd year: redshirt at Oklahoma
3rd year: backup QB at Oklahoma
4th year: Heisman at Oklahoma.

Baker Mayfield:
True freshman: won starter job, then replaced at Texas Tech.
2nd year: redshirt at Oklahoma
3rd, 4th, 5th year: starter. Heisman in 5th year.

Lamar Jackson:
True freshman: part time starter, started 8 games.
2nd year: Heisman trophy winner.
3rd year: starter

Marcus Mariota:
True freshman: redshirt.
2nd year: first redshirt freshman to start in 22 years at Oregon.
3rd year: starter
4th year: Heisman trophy winner.

Others:
Jameis Winston: redshirted true freshman.
Johnny Manziel: redshirted true freshman.
Robert Griffin III: started 11 games as true freshman. Baylor finished 4-8.
Cam Newton: backup QB as true freshman.
Sam Bradford: redshirted true freshman.
Tim Tebow: backup QB as true freshman.
Troy Smith: redshirted true freshman.
Matt Leinert: backup QB as true freshman.
Jason White: backup QB as true freshman.
Carson Palmer: part time starter as true freshman.
Eric Crouch: redshirt as true freshman.
Chris Weinke: did not start as a 25 year old true freshman.
Danny Wuerffel: part time starter as true freshman.
Charlie Ward: didn’t really play as true freshman and redshirted his second year.
Gino Torretta: did not really play as true freshman.
Ty Detmer: redshirted as true freshman.

Reaction Score
Mensah was wide open on the left at the 2-3 yard line on the final fourth down and he didn't see him, There was a ECU player about 6 feet away. He would have made into the end zone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom