Donovan clingan version of young nikola jokic? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Donovan clingan version of young nikola jokic?

Reaction Score
Clingan - Joker
AK - Dirk
Cam Spencer - Luka
Newton - Shai
Castle - Bron

Bench
Solo- Wade
Stewart -Jimmy butler
Ross- Durant
Diarra - CP3

Bring on #6

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
For those that don’t like the Jokic comp, what other big man in the NBA that has good to great passing skills would be a better comp?

Reaction Score
For those that don’t like the Jokic comp, what other big man in the NBA that has good to great passing skills would be a better comp?
Clingan can pass, but we are aware he averaged less than 2 assists per 40 last year right?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Clingan can pass, but we are aware he averaged less than 2 assists per 40 last year right?
I think similar to Hawkins, it was just because of the role he was asked to play.

Hawkins was a spot up shooter as a freshman because of guys in front of him. When the offense was about him we saw his ability to run off screens.

DC was a rim runner last year (rightfully so). I think when the offense is about him we’ll see a lot more of his passing skills. He showcased them some in his draft highlight reel.

Reaction Score
He's like a bigger Laurynas Birutis.

Reaction Score
Im assuming the comparison would be to Jokic when he was a freshman in college, not after ten years in the nba. I don't think he played college ball, so this is all just a fun thread starter.

All y'all need to lighten up.
Jokic always played like this, he's just a lot better at it now that he's been in the league a long time. He didn't all of a sudden become a point guard trapped in a center's body as an NBA veteran.

Reaction Score
At least it’s not a Marc Suhr or Dan Cyrulik comparison.
That's a very unfair comparison for Dan, especially if you were at opening night at Gampel in 1990. Sure it turned out to be Dan's career night, but what a night to have it.
And, we wouldn't have won the Big East tournament that year without Dan and Toraino Walker holding their own against Mutombo and Mourning in the semifinal and Owens and Coleman in the final.

Reaction Score
To the Clingan is a young version of Jokic crowd will Clingan be jogging the ball up the court, pushing the ball up the court on fastbreaks, pirouetting constantly in the lane for 8 foot teardrops, throwing no look lobs, be the main initiator on offense the entire game, shooting one legged jumpers from all over the court, making 83% of his ft's etc?

Scrappy picked basically the one player in history that there hasn't been any player comparison for and you're going along with it.
So it's possible he can do all those things then?

Reaction Score

Before seeing real time how much better Clingan got this offseason, tbh I'd say his best comp is Walker Kessler but trade some defense for some offense, and with higher upside because of it

Clingan could/should be better next year than Kessler was at Auburn (which is a high bar), but Kessler broke out in the NBA averaging 9 PPG, 8 RPG, 2.3 BPG shooting 72% as a rookie

We expect Clingan to go lottery so the expectations are understandably higher, but I think that's our best comp for now and there'd be no shame if that's what he ends up being like.

There is no comp anywhere in America for Jokic, and probably in the history of American basketball. I'm sure there's some Jokic-lite somewhere in Europe that we'll learn about in a few years. Looking forward to see Clingan battle them in the NBA down the line

Reaction Score
Before seeing real time how much better Clingan got this offseason, tbh I'd say his best comp is Walker Kessler but trade some defense for some offense, and with higher upside because of it

Clingan could/should be better next year than Kessler was at Auburn (which is a high bar), but Kessler broke out in the NBA averaging 9 PPG, 8 RPG, 2.3 BPG shooting 72% as a rookie

We expect Clingan to go lottery so the expectations are understandably higher, but I think that's our best comp for now and there'd be no shame if that's what he ends up being like.

There is no comp anywhere in America for Jokic, and probably in the history of American basketball. I'm sure there's some Jokic-lite somewhere in Europe that we'll learn about in a few years. Looking forward to see Clingan battle them in the NBA down the line
Alperen Sengun is little Jokic lite. I don't like comparing guys to the best but he's the only guy who is in the ballpark with his crazy moves and vision.

Reaction Score
A truer statement is Clingan has more upside potential than Travis .
But Travis was able to play 25 minutes a game at a pretty high level
That 1996 team really had no backup 5.
We’re pretty sure he can double his minutes and maintain that level but until he actually does you never know for sure .
Stamina or rather lack of it for a guy that big has been the downfall of a few. That one of my big IFs for success next year .

No!!! Comparing DC to Travis Knight is like comparing Okafor to Whaley. The 95 and 96 teams would have been cutting down the nets if they had DC. Travis was just a solid role player DC is a star.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Jokic always played like this, he's just a lot better at it now that he's been in the league a long time.

Then he hasn't always played like this. In fact, he's gotten better pretty much every year. Funny thing is I can't find a single post here mentioning Jokic in his first couple years (search feature here does suck though).

It's a bad comparison because the only thing they really have in common is height, and Jokic doesn't play like a typical center. But Jokic's numbers his rookie year don't look out of reach for Clingan.

IMG_3254.jpeg

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Then he hasn't always played like this. In fact, he's gotten better pretty much every year. Funny thing is I can't find a single post here mentioning Jokic in his first couple years (search feature here does suck though).

It's a bad comparison because the only thing they really have in common is height, and Jokic doesn't play like a typical center. But Jokic's numbers his rookie year don't look out of reach for Clingan.

View attachment 89529
Damn he must not be able to pass like that since he averaged only 2 assists his first year.

Reaction Score
The correct functional comparison would be Rob Williams. Devastating rim runner, superb (if underutilized) passer, soft touch to 17 feet, incredible paint/rim protector who’s only an ok 1v1 post defender because of his high center of gravity.

I’m sure certain people will struggle with the comparison, though. For some reason.

Reaction Score

View attachment 89529
Can't tell if this is a reading comprehension issue or a trolling issue.

This isn't difficult, his style of play has always been the same and he's gotten a lot better. That's what typically happens with great players.

The Clingan Jokic comparison is terrible when Jokic was the same age as Clingan is now and it's a terrible comparison every year since. They don't play anything like each other.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
He's like a bigger Laurynas Birutis.
Wait, is this a real person? Lol

I think Kessler and Williams are really good comps (Williams is especially sneaky good) for what DC is right now as a floor. My thing is, if he does get better based on the tools he has, who is the next best comp projection wise?

Reaction Score
Wait, is this a real person? Lol

I think Kessler and Williams are really good comps (Williams is especially sneaky good) for what DC is right now as a floor. My thing is, if he does get better based on the tools he has, who is the next best comp projection wise?
Mostly a joke. I just googled nba center prospect "good passing out of double" and found a random 7 foot guy.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Can't tell if this is a reading comprehension issue or a trolling issue.

This isn't difficult, his style of play has always been the same and he's gotten a lot better. That's what typically happens with great players.

So, you're saying he was just bad at assists his first couple of years, but he tried real hard.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
The Clingan Jokic comparison is terrible when Jokic was the same age as Clingan is now and it's a terrible comparison every year since.

How can it be a terrible comparison every year since when Clingan has only played one season?

Reaction Score
So, you're saying he was just bad at assists his first couple of years, but he tried real hard.
He wasn't bad at assists. He averaged 4.4 ast per 40 compared to Clingan's 1.4 per 40. At the same age as Clingan, Jokic had 4.0 ast per 40 in the Adriatic League.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
He wasn't bad at assists. He averaged 4.4 ast per 40 compared to Clingan's 1.4 per 40. At the same age as Clingan, Jokic had 4.0 ast per 40 in the Adriatic League.
I think it’d be fair to take into consideration competition and the fact that Jokic didn’t have the Final Four MOP in front of him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom