Donovan Clingan - 59th Bridgeport J.C.C Classic(Borges Tweets) | The Boneyard

Donovan Clingan - 59th Bridgeport J.C.C Classic(Borges Tweets)

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Mark Armstrong can really play. They’re getting two really good pieces with him and whitmore.

Reaction Score
Clingan will probably have a much more effective "perimeter" game than sanogo. He's got good touch and form but his HS coach admitted he was basically not allowed to take jumpers at BC. He was generally 8 inches taller than everyone else so obviously this makes sense from his coaches perspective. But I think it'll be a surprise tool for him in a couple years.

He's going to need time to adjust up to the speed especially defensively. Having watched him over a dozen times in HS he'll never be able to hedge like Sanogo so Hurley will have to adjust with him on the floor. He's an interesting prospect and I'm thrilled we kept the best in state player home. It wouldn't shock me if his freshman year was a quasi red shirt year.

Reaction Score
He doesn't even need to do it that often, just the occasional threat on the pick and pop so Hawkins/Jackson/Floyd/Castle can take it to the rim without a big in the way.
Agree. Even just a small threat opens up our offense tremendously. With his height and vision, He should be able to make some passes from the top of the key/3pt range that no one else on the floor can make. Thinking off-ball back cuts for alley-oops and fun stuff like that

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Can’t wait to see what he will do against high level college players every day. I’m excited about his potential

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Mark Armstrong can really play. They’re getting two really good pieces with him and whitmore.
Don’t forget they also have Trey Patterson, who is supposedly 6’10 now, on the wing. Their “down year” will be like a 5 seed in the tourney.

Reaction Score
Don’t forget they also have Trey Patterson, who is supposedly 6’10 now, on the wing. Their “down year” will be like a 5 seed in the tourney.
6-5 190 SG Brandon Hausen (TX) is making a lot of Nova folks excited for the future too. (Great shooter -#8 SG/49 overall on rivals, for whatever that is worth).

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Clingan will probably have a much more effective "perimeter" game than sanogo. He's got good touch and form but his HS coach admitted he was basically not allowed to take jumpers at BC. He was generally 8 inches taller than everyone else so obviously this makes sense from his coaches perspective. But I think it'll be a surprise tool for him in a couple years.

He's going to need time to adjust up to the speed especially defensively. Having watched him over a dozen times in HS he'll never be able to hedge like Sanogo so Hurley will have to adjust with him on the floor. He's an interesting prospect and I'm thrilled we kept the best in state player home. It wouldn't shock me if his freshman year was a quasi red shirt year.
Quasi red shirt? Like Sool?

Reaction Score
Hitting 3s (even on occasion) isn't his game. You don't move a 7'1' kid far away from the paint. He has the ability to shoot FTs and hit a midrange jumper but in high school he only needed to be under the hoop the rest of the time.

Will be interesting to see how DH will utilize him.

Reaction Score
Hitting 3s (even on occasion) isn't his game. You don't move a 7'1' kid far away from the paint. He has the ability to shoot FTs and hit a midrange jumper but in high school he only needed to be under the hoop the rest of the time.

Not sure if your point is specific to his high school utilization, but if you have a 7'1 kid that can hit 3's at a respectable clip, you absolutely do move them that far away from the paint, because importantly, it also moves the opposing center away from the paint.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

He's going to be outside the paint more than you think. He'll set screens and if he can get good enough, will take some 3's. But what I expect to see more if DC getting it at the foul line. He can catch there and either (a) hit the midrange (b) pass to cutters and others in the post or to open wing player. Travis Knight was probably the best passing center we've had, and he did that regularly. He's more mobile than DC seems to be.

Reaction Score
He's going to be outside the paint more than you think. He'll set screens and if he can get good enough, will take some 3's. But what I expect to see more if DC getting it at the foul line. He can catch there and either (a) hit the midrange (b) pass to cutters and others in the post or to open wing player. Travis Knight was probably the best passing center we've had, and he did that regularly. He's more mobile than DC seems to be.
A 7'1 big who can pass in the middle of a 4-out offense is a wonderful piece to have.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

Huh? 3>1 last I checked. If he can hit an open 3 regularly you absolutely move anyone away from the paint.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Huh? 3>1 last I checked. If he can hit an open 3 regularly you absolutely move anyone away from the paint.
Briefly. It can kill your offensive rebounding. I’m not a fan of centers spending much time outside, and when they do, the forwards/wings need to cover the boards. In short, I don’t think the paint should ever be empty for more than a moment.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Briefly. It can kill your offensive rebounding. I’m not a fan of centers spending much time outside, and when they do, the forwards/wings need to cover the boards. In short, I don’t think the paint should ever be empty for more than a moment.

This assumes a lot of things. But on a mathematic level an offensive rebound attempt may not be worth it if you give up a transition 3 or dunk....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom