Donovan Clingan - 2021 Gatorade State Player of the Year | The Boneyard

Donovan Clingan - 2021 Gatorade State Player of the Year

Reaction Score

-> Bristol Central junior Donovan Clingan is the 2021 recipient for the Gatorade State Player of the Year, Gatorade officially announced on Friday morning.

Clingan, the No. 44 player in the Class of 2022 rankings from ESPN, is also one of three finalists for Gatorade’s National Player of the Year and the only junior among the three. The other finalists are Chet Holmgren, a center from Minneapolis who has committed to play at Gonzaga and Jabari Smith from Tyrone, Georgia, a forward who will play at Auburn next season. <-

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
First, congrats to DC. Second, the NPOY finalist is strange.

Reaction Score
First, congrats to DC. Second, the NPOY finalist is strange.

“Gatorade’s award also recognizes academic achievement and character. Clingan has a 3.53 GPA. He volunteers coaching basketball at the Boys & Girls Club of Bristol and as a Bristol Central Rambassador, helping incoming freshman become acclimated to their new surroundings.”

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
“Gatorade’s award also recognizes academic achievement and character. Clingan has a 3.53 GPA. He volunteers coaching basketball at the Boys & Girls Club of Bristol and as a Bristol Central Rambassador, helping incoming freshman become acclimated to their new surroundings.”

I really don't want to derail this thread. It's a great accomplishment for him and I'm glad he's getting recognition.

That being said...............do you really think no other top 40 players from the class of 2021 or 2022 carry GPA's in that range or do some sort of volunteer work?? Neither the 3.5 GPA or his volunteerism is beyond what many other HS athletes and non-athletes do.

Reaction Score
I really don't want to derail this thread. It's a great accomplishment for him and I'm glad he's getting recognition.

That being said...............do you really think no other top 40 players from the class of 2021 or 2022 carry GPA's in that range or do some sort of volunteer work?? Neither the 3.5 GPA or his volunteerism is beyond what many other HS athletes and non-athletes do.
My only point was the Gatorade Award is not all basketball court performance based. No more/no less. I knew I should have cut the quote off after the word “character”.

Reaction Score

It has a lot to do with dominating the conference you're in. And he clearly dominated the CIAC this year. The character stuff is practically meaningless for these awards. It's nice, but not why he was chosen.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Congrats to a junior-DC for both awards/recognition. Wouldn't diminish these accomplishments-they are significant.

Two shots at DC this summer on campus where he'll be able to chill with some of his future teammates/2022 recruits.

Staff has done an excellent job of managing his recruitment given the visibility he has created with other programs over the last year or so.

We have great closers on this staff and DC is showing his respect to the Program by the two visits.

Will be an interesting summer

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

That being said, nice derailment.

Reaction Score
Weren’t any “rambassadors” when I went there. Just a psychopath named Bruce roaming the halls with a paddle going “freshhhhhhhhhmennnnnn”

Reaction Score
Not knocking, but I think it's understandable to be confused that a guy ranked around #50 as a junior is a top 3 finalist for player of the year in the country which also includes seniors.
But it's not an award for highest ranking or best college prospect, so it doesn't seem crazy that a player of the year who averaged 27 points, 17 rebounds, and 6 blocks would be a top 3 candidate. Obviously the competition is different so it's not an apples to apples comparison but those are very impressive numbers

Reaction Score
From what I can tell the last 3 winners were ranked overall #1 recruits by 247. That said, coaching staff wants him. Hope he wants to be a husky

Reaction Score
He did it with a mask too imagine how well he will play without a mask.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know he has many school options, but home-grown players own this state when they come here. Chris Smith, Scott Burrell, Andre Drummond (as brief as it was). We need the next great Connecticut player.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Theyre afraid. Afraid to love.
Funny or creepy?

Season 5 Idk GIF by Friends

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member