Donovan’s Work Ethic | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Donovan’s Work Ethic

Reaction Score
I think he will be fine down low but defending on the perimeter will be really tough for him. Adama isn't the best on the perimeter either but he's gotten much better from the time he came to UConn. Hopefully, Clingan follows a similar path.
He's nearly Mark Eaton's size, he should never be asked to guard the perimeter.

Reaction Score
He has 6-7 inches on him? Honestly at his size he might not have to jump for defensive rebounds. Just have the coaches position him in the right spot. He’s going to go over the back on offense and get called for it though because he legitimately has a shot at every ball there too.

Reaction Score
Hmmm - photoshop on the BY?

DC has grown physically in the past 9 months - its amazing that he has added that much bulk
He realizes that he needs that bulk to survive the D1 season. He has really good foot movement for a young big man. The question remains - can he defend at this level vs the more experienced players? That will determine PT. I am very excited to see him wearing the UConn uniform.
He’s really wide at the hips and maybe pushing 7’2+

Reaction Score
We’ve had a bunch of skinny 6’9” or taller guys in our history that have been pushed around pretty good down low over the years, some looking like they would snap. Just wondering how he’s going to fare against serious physicality down low. . In high school he never faced what he’s about to experience but he is up against Sanogo in practice at least.

Reaction Score
I think folks are still underrating the potential impact DC can have in cheap buckets and offensive rebounds this year.

Imagine a big on the other team checking Adama and getting beat up and then the All-American goes to the bench and this monster comes in. There is no relief.

I predict he plays 8-12 minutes/game but has great per/min productivity and gets us 2-3 cheapy buckets per game on put backs or lobs or foul shooting. Throw in 3-4 rebounds per game as well and that is an A+ backup at the 5

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I think folks are still underrating the potential impact DC can have in cheap buckets and offensive rebounds this year.

Imagine a big on the other team checking Adama and getting beat up and then the All-American goes to the bench and this monster comes in. There is no relief.

I predict he plays 8-12 minutes/game but has great per/min productivity and gets us 2-3 cheapy buckets per game on put backs or lobs or foul shooting. Throw in 3-4 rebounds per game as well and that is an A+ backup at the 5
This is my hope. We know the physical potential is there, but how soon can he impose his will on guys that shouldn’t have any business getting in his way? I think his performance against the mid majors will tell us a lot about our expectations for him this year.

Reaction Score
Would he be looking up at that big kid from Purdue? Seems like a duo like Purdue where the smaller more agile guy played more.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I was going to add that he'll be playing behind Sanogo as well but it's more than that. I've seen a lot of posts about how Clingan won't be ready to contribute this season and there's even been posts saying he'll be a bust.
I really have no idea if he will or won't. You can't teach height but you also can't teach footspeed. If he was at Iowa, I'd have little doubt about his impact. But I don't think he will ever be able to play D the way Hurley has (so far) wanted his 5 to play. The big question mark for me isn't Clingan, it's Hurley. Run a system to maximize his abilities and he can be really good. The problem this year, is whether we play differently with him than with Sanogo or whether that confuses the team.

Reaction Score
I really have no idea if he will or won't. You can't teach height but you also can't teach footspeed. If he was at Iowa, I'd have little doubt about his impact. But I don't think he will ever be able to play D the way Hurley has (so far) wanted his 5 to play. The big question mark for me isn't Clingan, it's Hurley. Run a system to maximize his abilities and he can be really good. The problem this year, is whether we play differently with him than with Sanogo or whether that confuses the team.
I’m most anxious about this as well. Will Hurley pigeon hole DC into the high-hedge; that would be concerning. Fine, experiment a bit with the DC high-hedge and see how Clingan adapts…..or will Hurley come to adapt to Clingan’s skill set?!

Reaction Score
I’m most anxious about this as well. Will Hurley pigeon hole DC into the high-hedge; that would be concerning. Fine, experiment a bit with the DC high-hedge and see how Clingan adapts…..or will Hurley come to adapt to Clingan’s skill set?!
We’re going 0-8 against Creighton in the next 4 years if we run Clingan high hedge

Reaction Score
A lot of this board is sleeping on Donovan. I think if he didn't play at a public high school in Connecticut fans would be talking him up much more.
I've seen him play in person 7 times and I agree absolutley. He played in a mediocre circuit and in the CIAC. I still saw him carry his team and absolutely destroy Northwest Catholic, who had one of the best 17-year-olds in the country up against Donavan. He's big, athletic, and skilled. What more could you want?

Reaction Score
I've seen him play in person 7 times and I agree absolutley. He played in a mediocre circuit and in the CIAC. I still saw him carry his team and absolutely destroy Northwest Catholic, who had one of the best 17-year-olds in the country up against Donavan. He's big, athletic, and skilled. What more could you want?
Was at Mohegan for the Championship Game. The two bigs hung in there with him, but DC wore ‘em down in the second half. That has to say something.

Reaction Score

Your comments on DC are all true.. One element of his toolkit that I believe is underrated are his passing skills. Can really be impactful on offense re: ball movement/hitting open man when you have a 5 with that talent

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
We’ve had a bunch of skinny 6’9” or taller guys in our history that have been pushed around pretty good down low over the years, some looking like they would snap. Just wondering how he’s going to fare against serious physicality down low. . In high school he never faced what he’s about to experience but he is up against Sanogo in practice at least.
Yes, Sanogo is expected to be BE player of the year; that's a pretty good practice partner,

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
A lot of this board is sleeping on Donovan
Well they have to sleep somewhere. We know they can’t sleep on Springs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom