Donny Marshall | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Donny Marshall

Reaction Score
I kind of tuned out the announcers tonight.

A friend of mine who likes watching UConn but isn't really a fan of the team texted me in the first half, "Hate the announcers." I texted back that one of them played at UConn. He texted me back, "Would never know it."

Reaction Score
I said it in the game chat and I'll say it again here, Donny is jealous of the program's titles since he played. He was on some great teams that never won.

Reaction Score
I said it in the game chat and I'll say it again here, Donny is jealous of the program's titles since he played. He was on some great teams that never won.
I have mentioned it before I think it is more about his boy KO being fired and UConn not wanting to pay him. He still holds a grudge about that is my thinking.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
I have mentioned it before I think it is more about his boy KO being fired and UConn not wanting to pay him. He still holds a grudge about that is my thinking.
I think he just goes overboard in not trying to sound like a homer. I think all that bad blood went by the wayside when Ollie collected his $11M and we got #5.

Reaction Score
I think he just goes overboard in not trying to sound like a homer. I think all that bad blood went by the wayside when Ollie collected his $11M and we got #5.
Yeah he even took a swipe at Hurley's playing abilities at Seton Hall during the broadcast which is a bad look. Though Dan wasn't as good as his brother he could shoot the rock and handle the ball.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
One significant problem, which was more glaring tonight than any time in the past, is he talks far too much. He needs someone to tell him that he doesn't need to fill every second of airtime with commentary/conversation.

A second, and it was as bad tonight as it ever was, is that he (I'm guessing overcompensation) feels compelled to sound like a homer for UConn's opponent when he does one of our games. It sounds like he's Johnny Most and were playing the Celtics whenever he does a UConn game.

Reaction Score
The game was far more unwatchable than Donny was unlistenable. Donny doesn’t bug me as much as others. I never reached for the mute.

His joking with Brando about hitting the hotel bar is similar to what Raff does but Raff is universally loved.

Game was tough to watch and normally I watch the rebroadcast but won’t be doing that.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Donny tries too hard to not be a homer. So he always questions calls from the other team's perspective, and only from the other team's perspective

Then he gets on some bad calls for them theme, and sticks with it.

He really shouldn't be doing UConn games.

Reaction Score
I'm curious. A lot of you appear to watch other teams' boards. Do they also complain about Donny's commentary?

Reaction Score
Yeah he even took a swipe at Hurley's playing abilities at Seton Hall during the broadcast which is a bad look. Though Dan wasn't as good as his brother he could shoot the rock and handle the ball.
He's always said good things a out Hurley in print, so I don't think it was a swipe.

Donny talking about Dan in a 2021 NY Post interview:

" I love how he’s no nonsense. He doesn’t candy-coat anything. I think you have to respect how genuine he is when it comes to how he talks to his players, how he talks to the media. That’s the kinda guy that I could play for, because you know where he stands. If you’re dogging it, you’re not gonna play, and he’s gonna tell you. I think he holds every player accountable. When you have a coach like that, your AD, those guys, they gotta get out of the way."

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Donny is much worse when UConn is involved. He wants to root for us, is afraid he’s sounding that way so heaps irrational praise on the other team and refs and takes stupid digs at UConn.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
He clearly doesn't do his homework. He tells random stories, jokes about drinking after the game, and has very little to say that actually applies to playing basketball at the college level (as opposed to stories about having been a basketball player at the college level)...

For example, "Everything is the same here in the building as when I played here, except the floor..." whether that's true or not, it could have led to a conversation about that old floor and how it had some dead spots that the home team could take advantage of. That would have been insightful, not insipid.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
What? I missed that.
He had a spell where he was making jokes about Tim hitting the hotel bar. Must have made four or five attempts.

And di you catch that opening? When Tim leaned his right shoulder into Donny and said, giddily, "Hiii, how you doin'?" That was weird.

Reaction Score
I can't stand him... It's funny, even as a player, I never really liked him. He obviously was a very good player for us but there was always something inherently annoying. When he literally name dropped himself after a nice play I puked a little. "Looking like Donny Marshall on that play..." Never heard an announcer third-person themselves on a broadcast before.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He was really bad. He was trying to allude to Tim Brando as an alcoholic.

Well, there's plenty of history of broadcasters being known boozers.

Reaction Score
Honestly, Tim Brando was worse tonight (and seems to get more annoying with each passing year).
They were both awful, almost never comment about the game. Of course donny chimes in occasionally to suggest anything that goes UConn’s was a poor call. And seriously yammering on and on about how athletic cory floyd is and how he is a rebounding monster at 2.8 per game

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom