Donald Brown stiff arm | The Boneyard

Donald Brown stiff arm

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
So miss DB! Working the stiff arm early on against Jets. SD offense not much for the run, but nice to see Donald getting the start and some yards.

Reaction Score
And then he gets coathanged and nearly gets his head taken off (he does get his helmet ripped off). Of course the announcers say it should have not been a penalty as it was not a face mask; but last I checked, no one can be tackled by the neck.

Reaction Score
We used to call it getting clothes lined.

Announcers were clueless.

Reaction Score
[QUOannouncers nehead, post: 1083945, member: 2141"]And then he gets coathanged and nearly gets his head taken off (he does get his helmet ripped off). Of course the announcers say it should have not been a penalty as it was not a face mask; but last I checked, no one can be tackled by the neck.[/QUOTE]
The announcers were correct. The clothesline is legal against anyone other than quarterbacks. So is stabbing with a blade shorter than 8 inches, a single finger eye poke, and dosing them with kerosene.. but only if you poke them in the eyes first.

I like Trent Green, but the clothesline has been illegal most, if not all, of his life. Not a hard call to make.

Reaction Score
We used to call it getting clothes lined.

Announcers were clueless.

I kept saying the same thing. Pretty close to a face mask too. Left with a concussion. Tough break.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Three guys watching from my station and the word "clothesline" came out from all three. Lucky it wasn't worse for DB. Oliver looked like an absolute bull tonight. Bounces off tackles and lots of second and third effort. So much for the vaunted NYJ run defense. Wish Donald could have been more a part of this awesome game.

Reaction Score
I called it more of a coat hang because the defensive player made initial contact in the neck area, i.e. clothesline, and then wrapped is armed around Brown's head and basically twisted. Thus, he was hung out like he was on a coat hanger and his helmet popped right off (lucky it was only his helmet). No idea where I picked that phrase-up from.

According to the NFL rulebook, a clothesline tackle is not legal; but...

"Although the NFL does not specifically outlaw “clothesline tackles” in their official rules, the clothesline tackle and similar moves are grouped under a number rules regarding player contact. Because the clothesline tackle is often aimed at a player’s neck or head and also involves a premeditated action on the part of the tackler, it is not only enforced as a personal foul, but also often results in a fine for the offending player. Aside from the vicious nature of the move, clotheslines are also considered dangerous because they can often catch the offensive player unawares and can cause injury if the victim falls awkwardly or is struck in the neck or head. One of the most feared practitioners of the clothesline tackle, before it became illegal, was Dick “Night Train” Lane, whose move was sometimes labeled the “Night Train Necktie.”"

Thus, I expect that Quinton Coples's wallet will be a little lighter after the NFL reviews it.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
The unfortunate reality is that Donald probably lost his starting gig after his concussion to Oliver. That guy blew up and just looks more explosive than Brown. I love DB and I know they are different types of players but you can't ignore Oliver's explosiveness. However, DB is a better pass blocker and that might get him some more play to help protect Rivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom