Don Patterson Retiring | The Boneyard

Don Patterson Retiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well this is interesting....let's see..Mike Cummins has history coaching TE's..Verducci has a LONG history coaching OL as well as coaching TE's...and there is an opening on the coaching staff. Do we see a new TE coach...or do we see a new RB coach?

Reaction Score
Well this is interesting....let's see..Mike Cummins has history coaching TE's..Verducci has a LONG history coaching OL as well as coaching TE's...and there is an opening on the coaching staff. Do we see a new TE coach...or do we see a new RB coach?
Who was coaching the QBs again???? How about that coach...

Reaction Score
Who was coaching the QBs again???? How about that coach...
Lineberg is QB coach..he was Wr coach originally. Corley was originally RB coach..he moved to WR. Patterson went from QB coach to TE coach..he was also Asst Head Coach. Could be a way to bring Quinn in here too..giving him the Asst Head Coach title and TE's or OL.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I don't want Verducci splitting his time doing any.position coaching.

And I want the OL coach to remain coaching OL for continuity.

Reaction Score
I don't want Verducci splitting his time doing any.position coaching.

And I want the OL coach to remain coaching OL for continuity.
He splits his time now...his official title is OC/RB coach

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He splits his time now...his official title is OC/RB coach

Thanks. Sarcasm off.

My point is this off season I want each of them to have one job. That's it. Those two areas were the biggest weaknesses last year. In any organization when addressing a weakness you give it your full effort to try and improve it.

Reaction Score
And that's why I mentioned Quinn. People have been calling for him on here for a while. Bring him in as TE coach/Asst Head coach. He is also a OL coach...even do what Skip did back in the day with Dave McMichael and have Quinn coach the TE's and Tackle's (Paterno did that at PSU for years). Add a guy like that and you have another set of hands to help solve the problem.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
How about Coach V. to Assistant HC and RB coach and we bring in a dynamic, creative new OC? Is Quinn potentially that guy? I don't know how he performed as OC but he's done that job 10 years out of his last 15 as a coach , 7 of them with FBS schools; Cincinnati and Central Michigan. If not Quinn for OC, maybe some rising star like the Yale OC, Joe Conlin, who was discussed here last time around.

Reaction Score
And that's why I mentioned Quinn. People have been calling for him on here for a while. Bring him in as TE coach/Asst Head coach. He is also a OL coach...even do what Skip did back in the day with Dave McMichael and have Quinn coach the TE's and Tackle's (Paterno did that at PSU for years). Add a guy like that and you have another set of hands to help solve the problem.
Quinn does make sense, hes a special assistant right now for Notre Dame. TJ Weist has a similar role at Michigan.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Quinn could be a possibility as he has both a history with Diaco (both assistants in Cincinnati) and Manuel (Warde hired him at Buffalo).

To those professing a new OC, while redeployment of some current staff members may be part of what is done replacing Patterson, I doubt that the overall offensive philosophy will change. When there is more confidence in what the offensive line and QB are capable of, the staff will be willing to open things up more. Until then, there will be some gripes here.

Reaction Score
Big shakeup on coaching staff is not needed as think some stability is needed as pretty sure the last three years there has been a different OC and offensive position coach which then time is spend on building relationships, adjusting to style and philosophy of coach. Defense while having a better baseline than offense still must of benefitted from having same co-coordinators and position coaches two years in a row. Only change is I think we need a full time running back coach as except for Newsome need lot of work there and coach focused solely on backs will help. Perhaps have Verducci coach tight ends as some of their drills are done with line and receivers so more manageable to coach TE's while OC than to be OC and coach backs.

cttxus

Reaction Score
Didn't Coach Patterson handle recruiting in Texas, too? It would be a bummer if all the progress he made here in North Texas, with new commits like Nate Hopkins and 5-6 more on the 2016 offer list, takes a big step backwards.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
Diaco was a much better coach his second year than he was the first year. I'm sure Don had a lot to do with it. I'm glad we had him for the two years we did.
Sat next to his wife in MO, she was a tremendous person, great to talk to. I am sure he was as well.

Many thanks for the time, Coach, I appreciate how you have helped the young men grow!

cttxus

Reaction Score
Sat next to his wife in MO, she was a tremendous person, great to talk to. I am sure he was as well.

Many thanks for the time, Coach, I appreciate how you have helped the young men grow!
Coach Patterson responded to me personally and at length via email shortly after coming on board when I asked him about our QB situation. I could tell from that and the content of his response that he was/is a quality guy. He will be missed but I'm very glad he was part of fundamentally re-shaping our football program over the last 2 years.

Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...on-retires-0109-20160108-story.html#nt=outfit

This suggests the position will be filled quickly and that a big shakeup is not expected.

Don't see Verducci out as OC but this year is a big one for him and the offense. If he's still the guy he deserves a say in the new hire and they can sink or swim together. Given the present situation on offense and CR, the "interested" list could be a barometer of perception among coaches on a few different levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom