Don Brown possibly considered as uMess coach | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Don Brown possibly considered as uMess coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
NO. People forget that this is the first year of Brown's system. Give him and the players another year to work out the kinks and his defense will be even better than Orlando's was.

i think a lot of fans forget that the day we hired Donald Brown we heard a lot from Maryland fans. they said they loved him, and his recruits loved him. they also said they wanted him fired after the first year, but then in year two, when the whole thing came together, they thought he was the greatest thing since sliced bread. we might as well give him some time. at the time a lot of them were pissed that they basically traded him for edsall

Reaction Score
I'm speechless. We returned 9 starters? Hmmm, let's see we graduated 3 LBs, and lost a safety to academics, but sure go w/your math to make a point. We lost the starting MLB before game 1. We played 1/2 the year w/o 2 all-conference performers. We have NO ability to switch in LBs, as the backups are true frosh (and when you play a truie frosh here, you get b* slapped for burnming a red shirt and jeopardizing our 2016 BCS hopes). We lost a decent backup DE to 1AA. To that, we introduced 2 RSFr to play meainigful roles, including starting games. But we'll stick with the math that says we returned 9 starters. In that parallel universe Agbor is our starting safety and we should never see Brown, Jones or Jennings.

Aside from the math, we introduced new schemes. Too fast? I'll debate that as one could reasonably argue we did. Folks act like the 10 UConn D was like the Steel Curtain. I guess that was another team getting walloped by Michigan, Temple, Rutgers and others. This was the same D that had the HC conclude he'd rather put his faith in the O on our own 19 on 4th down in the most important game then trust his D. They were good folks, but they weren't great.

Look at the D in the beginnnig of the year when it was fresh, playing against bowl teams Vandy and ISU. Look at them when they are on the field for 35 minutes against Louisville.

Are they perfect, no. Are they good, yes. Anyone who would not be troubled to see this DC leave is simply so jaded by this season that they are losing rationale thought and has not a clue what either they are seeing this year or hope to see next (maybe take a second and think what it would do to kids to learn a 3rd scheme in 3 years).

Idiotic.

We lost Bama & Lutrus as starters. 11-2=9.

Reaction Score
We lost Bama & Lutrus as starters. 11-2=9.

Thank you. I guess that I've now become an issue, where some think it's more important to pick a fight than to add to the discussion.

Sio Moore was a starter last year. He was second team all league in some people's eyes. Would he have been a starter if Greg Lloyd never blew his knee out? Who knows. But why does that matter.

Harris Agbor was a starter last year. Yes, he shared time at Safety with Mike Lang, but he started more games and he started the last games.

It is not my argument that we returned 9 starters, and 4 of them had been named by some as playing at an all league level. Those are facts. Telling me why you think Don Brown succeeded this year, comparing numbers of this year to last year, would add to the conversation.

Reaction Score
Somehow, I think you are missing the fact that you are making my exact point for me. That the excuse he's giving the D for this year existed, in spades, last year.

You are missing my point. Both years the excuses were the same. As Phil Steele said (more or less) "Last years Uconn team was the luckiest team in Div 1a". Same excuses, same bad offensive PRODUCTION, few plays difference get to BCS bowl in weak BE one year and no bowl the next. Don't throw the interception Vandy, catch a pass against Louiville, no fumble vs. WM and ... BE champs and maybe BCS bound with only 3 loses.
Coach P wins coach of year in BE ahead of helicopter man.

Reaction Score
You are missing my point. Both years the excuses were the same. As Phil Steele said (more or less) "Last years Uconn team was the luckiest team in Div 1a". Same excuses, same bad offensive PRODUCTION, few plays difference get to BCS bowl in weak BE one year and no bowl the next. Don't throw the interception Vandy, catch a pass against Louiville, no fumble vs. WM and ... BE champs and maybe BCS bound with only 3 loses.

1. If that's your point, I missed it because you pretended it was germane to the discussion people were actually having as opposed to the one you wanted to have. My bad.

2. LOL. The excuses were the same? What excuses did we need last year? We were 8-4, shared the Big East crown and won the Fiesta Bowl. You think we needed excuses because Phil Steele said we were lucky? LMFAO. Excuses are for losers. Not winners. Last year's team didn't need them.

Reaction Score

Ain't that the truth.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.761782,-73.985205

Reaction Score
Don Brown's defense was horrible the first year at Maryland, and vastly improved in year two. Relax.

Reaction Score
Forget the two starters we lost from last years D, the biggest loss to this year's D vs last year is Jordan Todman, a guy who kept the chains moving and the defense off the field. Put last year's Jordan Todman on this years team and we probably have 4 more wins putting us at 8-2. The success or failure of the offense has an indirect effect on the success or failure of the defense.

I'm not an expert on football stats, but when the year is over it will be interesting to compare last years sack, turnover, yards per carry, yards per pass numbers of the two defenses.

Reaction Score
I have to roll my eyes a bit at those that are so eager to lose Brown. If anyone deserves to see how things shake out, it's the guy who has had recent success in other places. That's not P, that's not DeLeone, that's Brown.

I get that the scheme change frustrated people since what we were doing before seemed to work (though I'd argue that you can place multiple losses in the years prior to this directly on our defensive scheme and playcalling). But let's try to live in reality here. Football coaches are egotistical SOB's by nature. Asking them to not change schemes or to do things someone else's way is like asking them to breathe through their ears. It isn't going to happen.

Reaction Score
Forget the two starters we lost from last years D, the biggest loss to this year's D vs last year is Jordan Todman, a guy who kept the chains moving and the defense off the field. Put last year's Jordan Todman on this years team and we probably have 4 more wins putting us at 8-2. The success or failure of the offense has an indirect effect on the success or failure of the defense.

I'm not an expert on football stats, but when the year is over it will be interesting to compare last years sack, turnover, yards per carry, yards per pass numbers of the two defenses.

The pass defense numbers will be significantly worse this year.

Reaction Score
The pass defense numbers will be significantly worse this year.

To be honest, our pass efficiency defense is 70th in the country. Not as bad as you would think. And most of the year we were without our top cornerback. I'd be interesting to see what we finished last year, but I cant find it.

Reaction Score
If Brown leaves for UMass I know a pretty good DC who will most likely be out of a job in State College...he would also make a EXCELLENT coach in waiting candidate too! He goes by the name of Tom Bradley!

Reaction Score
Our D almost won the Vandy game with no help from the offense, Our D produced how many three and outs against Iowa State in the first half of that game? Were we not in the WV game for three quarters? The D was not the reason we lost last week either. We lose against Buffalo if not for a great defensive performance.

I count two bad games for the D this year, Western Michigan and Pittsburgh.
As much as I love the players (and coaches), the defense was significantly more UN-disciplined than in the past. Way too much movement for my tastes. I watched a lot of shifts leave a lot of big holes. I want the system to flourish, I want the players to like it, and I want to WIN.

Reaction Score
If Brown leaves for UMass I know a pretty good DC who will most likely be out of a job in State College...he would also make a EXCELLENT coach in waiting candidate too! He goes by the name of Tom Bradley!

I'm pretty sure Bradley turned down an interview when PP was hired. As long as there is no "blood" on his hands he'd be a great choice.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Am I the only one that was frustrated by the incredibly passive defense of years past? I always felt that our Defense was good despite the scheme and not because of it. We just had some very very good players on defense. I think that this scheme is much harder for young players to do well in than the old one, but my impression is that with more experience in the respective systems, the new system could yield better results.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one that was frustrated by the incredibly passive defense of years past? I always felt that our Defense was good despite the scheme and not because of it. We just had some very very good players on defense. I think that this scheme is much harder for young players to do well in than the old one, but my impression is that with more experience in the respective systems, the new system could yield better results.

Let me preface this by saying that I don't think Brown should be let go, it is his first year here. He needs to be given a fair chance.

With that said, the defense has been concerning to me. I look for consistent improvement each game in learning the scheme. It appears that the offense has been picked up (Let me emphatically state that just because a scheme has been picked up doesn't mean we are any good. Players can't catch, and qb's can't throw).

I have seen a linebacker corps that has actually regressed through the season as a whole. Smallwood is the only player has improved as the year has gone on (I love his game). Sio Moore looks absolutely lost, as does Jory Johnson, Blown responsibilities, playing on their heels, just not good.

Reaction Score
If you blitz you need to know how to play the middle. The middle zone. The Backers and the Safeties have to cover, unlike a standard zone. When I watch the Power Hour sometime you wonder whether or not there are Backers in the game because the other team has TE's wide open. Guys look lost over the middle.

Reaction Score
This was the same D that had the HC conclude he'd rather put his faith in the O on our own 19 on 4th down in the most important game then trust his D. They were good folks, but they weren't great.
Idiotic.
That play wasn't a bad bet at all. They couldn't stop the run.

Reaction Score
That play wasn't a bad bet at all. They couldn't stop the run.

Sunseri was lighting us up in the second half too. His point was that we had to go for it, because there was no way we were going to stop them.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
If UConn has come to be known for anything "traditionally" (if you can consider 10 years a tradition) in D1A, it's a solid run game and a strong defense. I believe Brown has done a pretty good job of keeping with that reputation this year. We are losing games because our stud quarterback who can score baskets from the second deck in Gampel ironically has a 45% completion percentage.

Reaction Score
Moorhead is being linked with Fordham. No link, just the word on the street.

Reaction Score
Doesn't surprise me about Moorehead since he played there.

Reaction Score
Thank you. I guess that I've now become an issue, where some think it's more important to pick a fight than to add to the discussion.

Sio Moore was a starter last year. He was second team all league in some people's eyes. Would he have been a starter if Greg Lloyd never blew his knee out? Who knows. But why does that matter.

Harris Agbor was a starter last year. Yes, he shared time at Safety with Mike Lang, but he started more games and he started the last games.

It is not my argument that we returned 9 starters, and 4 of them had been named by some as playing at an all league level. Those are facts. Telling me why you think Don Brown succeeded this year, comparing numbers of this year to last year, would add to the conversation.

How many games did Jones, Brown, Smallwood, Jennings, or Johnson start last year? I must have missed those games. We returned 9 starters and added 5 new ones, interesting. You have some interesting posts, but whenever your facts fall a but short, you argue that someone is attacking you. It's an interesting tact to deflect the logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom