formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Seems like it's inevitable..

Took Harbaugh longer than I thought to pass the buck:

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Brown was a good DC for a school like UConn. He had a one trick defense that was good against bad to average teams. In general his defenses were fun to watch. But.. that defense loved to give up third and long with those blitzes.

If they are making this decision, I would have to think that means Harbaugh is getting an extension.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Brown was a good DC for a school like UConn. He had a one trick defense that was good against bad to average teams. In general his defenses were fun to watch. But.. that defense loved to give up third and long with those blitzes.

If they are making this decision, I would have to think that means Harbaugh is getting an extension.

I agree with everything you wrote, well said. DB did have a few good years at UM though.

Reaction Score
My memory and timing may be all over the place but I recall Brown as our DC when we upset Louisville and bludgeoned Bridgewater in doing so. Seem to recall that was around the time the ACC was deciding between us and Louisville. But maybe my memory is off a bit.
Gained a lot of respect for bridgewater getting hurt and playing through that beating our defense gave him

Reaction Score
When DB was our DC, defense was far more exciting than offense. It was awesome.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I think this is the best observation. His break the bank aggressiveness works good when an offense only has 1-2 players who are top level performers. Start playing high level P5 where every player on offense is a threat and it becomes easier to pick apart the aggressiveness and find the holes in the D.

Reaction Score
Brown did a great job at Michigan and his defenses have really kept Michigan competitive, but something happened this year. Here is how his defenses ranked:

2016: Total defense 1, Scoring defense 2
2017: Total defense 3, Scoring defense 13
2018: Total defense 2, Scoring defense 16
2019: Total defense 11, Scoring defense 25
2020: Total defense 84, Scoring defense 96

Harbaugh's offenses have not been that successful at Michigan which is the main problem. Look at the rankings:

2016: Total offense 58, Scoring offense 11
2016: Total offense 105, Scoring offense 91
2016: Total offense 50, Scoring offense 21
2016: Total offense 68, Scoring offense 44
2016: Total offense 78, Scoring offense 68

Add in that Ohio State's recruiting has been much better than Michigan's since Harbaugh became head coach. In that time frame, Ohio State's recruiting classes have ranked higher every year but 1 and OSU has recruited 20 5-stars to Michigan's 6.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Brown did a great job at Michigan and his defenses have really kept Michigan competitive, but something happened this year. Here is how his defenses ranked:

2016: Total defense 1, Scoring defense 2
2017: Total defense 3, Scoring defense 13
2018: Total defense 2, Scoring defense 16
2019: Total defense 11, Scoring defense 25
2020: Total defense 84, Scoring defense 96
Hard to believe that's coaching. Like you alluded to, that's looks like recruiting.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
For Brown's defense to work properly, you need speed and good linebackers. Yawin Smallwood looked like a surefire pro in that D. But, that is something that our D has not had for years. At this point, he would be a bad fit scheme wise.

Reaction Score
For Brown's defense to work properly, you need speed and good linebackers. Yawin Smallwood looked like a surefire pro in that D. But, that is something that our D has not had for years. At this point, he would be a bad fit scheme wise.

Randy recruited almost all of that talent, so he should be able to figure it out. Recruiting has picked up as an independent and one thing Randy generally knows is how to find athletes. I just love the aggression. I’ve never been a fan of any other team in any sport that played such great D that I preferred watching it to scoring points. (Although, that D scored points)

Reaction Score
Randy recruited almost all of that talent, so he should be able to figure it out. Recruiting has picked up as an independent and one thing Randy generally knows is how to find athletes. I just love the aggression. I’ve never been a fan of any other team in any sport that played such great D that I preferred watching it to scoring points. (Although, that D scored points)
Was Randy a great recruiter during his first term here, or was he superb at taking second-tier athletes and making them into first-tier football players? So far, he has not done that in his second-term, and I am, along with some others on The Boneyard, growing impatient for change. If we did not care about accountability, Randy has a lot to offer as a coach. But a better than winning record is what UConn needs in the 2020s.

Reaction Score
Was Randy a great recruiter during his first term here, or was he superb at taking second-tier athletes and making them into first-tier football players? So far, he has not done that in his second-term, and I am, along with some others on The Boneyard, growing impatient for change. If we did not care about accountability, Randy has a lot to offer as a coach. But a better than winning record is what UConn needs in the 2020s.

I think Randy can find football players. Whether or not he can win games with them is my greater concern. The game is a lot different than it was 10 or 15 years ago. We can’t pound the ball up the middle behind a huge offensive line like we used to and win a lot of games. He’s got to embrace the modern game and open up the offense.

I still think he can put together a very physical and capable defense in terms of athletes though. Don Brown would just make them better.

Reaction Score
I think Brown's defenses are predicated on very good CB play. Leaves them in man coverage. Sink or swim
Allows the FS making plays against the run. Allows him to be creative with the front 7. He had everything here. 2 NFL DTs, NFL speed rush end, 2 NFL LBs, 2 NFL CBs, NFL FS and Tymeer Brown who was pretty good and when he got hurt I think he brought in Andrew Adam's, another NFL guy. Then left after Rutgers and Louisville announced they were leaving. He's no dummy. He wasn't getting the level of play from his DBs, that's why his D took a dive at UM.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
The list of Solid coaches this school has had is amazing, he was one I enjoyed

Reaction Score

All the way back to the 60's when we had three NFL coaches at one time: Forzano, Rutigliano and one other who's name escapes me.

Reaction Score

The Giants current O-line coach Dave DeGuglielmo (97-98) was here as well as Steve Spagnuolo (87-91).

Reaction Score
It's fun to see what former assistant coaches have done at other schools, for better or worse.

The Syracuse list includes:
Major Applewhite
Tom Coughlin
Duffy Daugherty
Lester Dye
Doug Marrone
George O'Leary
Ed Ogeron
Nick Saban
Bud Wilkinson and, since it's the season for giving, Syracuse's gifts to UConn:
George DeLeone
Randy Edsall