Don Amore: UConn no longer recruiting Devin Robinson | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Don Amore: UConn no longer recruiting Devin Robinson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Amore's been very consistent these last few months in that the staff wanted a PF and a PG to round out the class. And that's exactly what they've brought in.

Having said that, if the reports of us having a good shot at Robinson were evenly remotely still true post-IU visit, there's no way the staff would have just given up and not at least tried to bring him in for First Night. Whether it's the whole SF vs. PF thing or just that he's leaning toward Indiana, I'm sure this is more Robinson's decisions than the coaching staff's.

Reaction Score
I think IMO he wants to play the 3 and at Uconn he is most def guna play the 4 most of the time. We are already loaded 1 thru 3. Cassell and Tsam at pg. Cassell, Dham, Omar or Purvis at SG. Omar or Dham at the 3. And that's if boat doesn't come back.

Reaction Score
I hinted at this last night in that vague post I did.. Talk is he only wants to play the 3 and uconn said no.

U

UCONNfan1

Just because UCONN stops recruiting someone does not mean that the staff isn't still looking at other kids. It's possible they realized it seemed like a huge long shot to land him and decided to put their time and energy into someone else.

Reaction Score
I agree that he probably wants to focus more of his time at the 3 and saw UCONN as a bit crowded. I assume the coaching staff didn't paint a rosy picture for him because they are upfront and honest. I am sure we are in a good position for many players in 15'. I, for one, am not at all worried by not getting Robinson. Maybe Ollie will continue to pursue Swift as a longer term project/program guy, who will hit his stride with a few years of development. Robinson is likely looking to play immediately. I am not sure that is a good fit given who we have on next years roster.

Reaction Score
Just because UCONN stops recruiting someone does not mean that the staff isn't still looking at other kids. It's possible the realized it seemed like a huge long shot to land him and decided to put their time and energy into someone else.

This is what's perplexing. They have close ties to his AAU team, they had his last visit, they are going against Indiana and Indiana has 3 or 4 players ahead of him at the 3. Long shot? This was not a long shot. It seems to be a difference of needs and fit. This was a recruitment that was coming down to the wire.

Reaction Score
Just because UCONN stops recruiting someone does not mean that the staff isn't still looking at other kids. It's possible the realized it seemed like a huge long shot to land him and decided to put their time and energy into someone else.

We've been recruiting Robinson forever...stopping now is wasting all that time and effort we already put into him. Don't buy this.

To me, he'd be the perfect player to fill this class. Hamilton is a 2/3 while Robinson is a 3/4...I don't see an issue there. We also recruited Larrier to the end who overlaps with Hamilton more than Robinson would have. This baffles me. Would love to get a true explanation on this from someone in the know rather than just speculation.

Reaction Score
Given the info that's been put out there, I don't think they just stopped now, seems like interest has cooled for awhile.

We've been recruiting Robinson forever...stopping now is wasting all that time and effort we already put into him. Don't buy this.

To me, he'd be the perfect player to fill this class. Hamilton is a 2/3 while Robinson is a 3/4...I don't see an issue there. We also recruited Larrier to the end who overlaps with Hamilton more than Robinson would have. This baffles me. Would love to get a true explanation on this from someone in the know rather than just speculation.

Reaction Score
I don't like the look of our frontcourt in 2014. Barring the unforeseen, either Facey or Lubin will be starting at the 4 (with Nolan/Brimah at the 5). Neither of those guys has the skill of a Daniels, who can credibly shoot it from deep or attack off the dribble. We'll basically have two lane-clogging F/C's who make life harder on our uber-talented backcourt.

Deandre Daniels has just become our most important recruit for 2014.

Reaction Score
They didn't stop recruiting DR because they are stupid, it just made sense for one reason or another.

We have Hamilton and he and Robinson play the same position. We have Purvis, Calhoun, Samuel and Sam. All are 6'3" or more. We are going to be a big team and we will have have tall, talented guys all over the court.

Right now, I am satisfied with what we have and I think KO is too. We still have the spring to fill any potential vacancies that become more evident later. We are in great shape.

Reaction Score
I don't like the look of our frontcourt in 2014. Barring the unforeseen, either Facey or Lubin will be starting at the 4 (with Nolan/Brimah at the 5). Neither of those guys has the skill of a Daniels, who can credibly shoot it from deep or attack off the dribble. We'll basically have two lane-clogging F/C's who make life harder on our uber-talented backcourt.

We will be playing a fairly large version of small ball. I expect to see a lot more versatility on the floor with a little less beef.

Reaction Score

Why do you have to have someone like DeAndre at the PF spot? I like him there, but its not necessary to have someone with his skillset at PF in order to win. We won a title with KFree, an athletic big who could finish inside, get garbage baskets and hit an occasional jumper. We won another title with Josh Boone starting at PF, who had no offensive game outside of garbage baskets and putbacks around the rim. We went to a FF with Jeff, who had a nice back to the basket game and could hit a jumper out to 15 ft. We won another title with Roscoe playing the bulk of the minutes at PF, Roscoe's offensive game was severely limited, he basically floated around on the perimeter on O shooting an occasional deep jumper. None of these guys were anything alike, so I'm not sure why you think going forward for hopefully the next 20 years of KO's coaching career he's going to feature the same type of player as DeAndre at PF.

Also, once again you're making baseless assumptions on players you've never seen play, as long as the NCAA doesn't strip Facey of all of his eligibility he will have a very good career here.

Reaction Score
We will be playing a fairly large version of small ball. I expect to see a lot more versatility on the floor with a little less beef.

This seems to be a good description. It's small ball no matter what. Maybe they figured that Robinson really wasn't going to be the interior presence that Deandre is no matter what. But in that case, this would conflict with 99's contention that UConn wanted Robinson as a 4.

Reaction Score

You do realize that prior to last year, Uconn always had "two lane-clogging F/C's" on the court at the same time, right?

Reaction Score
From what

From.what i read about Lubin he can hit the 17fter and in one of the articles he was knocking down 3's. If teams want to go small Ham at the 4 a more skilled DD. Obviously, thats not the first choice but Robinson wants to play the 3 and I see OC and Ham getfing most of those minutes. Purvis, Sam and TS rotating thru both gaurd positions and how can we say for sure DD and Boat are going pro.
My guess is if there are any nice players left in spring and either or both leave we will add players but coaching staff can't move without knowing this, and Robinson can't wait.

Reaction Score
UConn is in on a lot of bigs for 2015. Some will be coming for First Night. That being said, it is always very difficult to land a top 50 center. There are only a handful of those.

Hope they can land one of Cheick Diallo, Carlton Bragg, Ivan Rabb, Doral Moore, Moustapha Diagnem, Jesse Govan, Chance Comanche.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
UConn is in on a lot of bigs for 2015. Some will be coming for First Night. That being said, it is always very difficult to land a top 50 center. There are only a handful of those.

Hope they can land one of Cheick Diallo, Carlton Bragg, Ivan Rabb, Doral Moore, Moustapha Diagnem, Jesse Govan, Chance Comanche.
That's the all-name squad right there.

Reaction Score

Daniels is not a prototypical power forward, most don't hang out beyond the arc and maybe ideally they shouldn't. Lubin can reportedly shoot out to 17 feet, that's far enough. We will have plenty of guys who can score from outside. Since when is having two guys around the paint a situation of clogging?

Reaction Score
We can go crazy hypothesizing about why we moved on from Devin Robinson. Whether that was Devin's call or our coaching staff at this point it doesn't really matter. We are moving on either way.

I am happy with the class as is and I am sure the coaching staff has a better handle on our long and short term needs. I am not going to question that. Ollie will go after the players that fit the playing style (and character) for the type of team he wants to field. I am just a loyal fan, not a coach. AND I did stay at a holiday Express last night, but I won’t attempt to play the role of coach on this message board.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
History isn't going to be a great recruiting guide. Ollie's quick multiple headed attack is going to take us in new directions. Who knows how it will work out but it will be fun to watch.

Reaction Score
We stopped recruiting Robinson because he only wanted to play the 3. I'm bummed because for the longest time I thought he was UConn bound. Hate to break it to Robinson but wherever he chooses to go he will quickly find out he doesn't have the handle to only play the 3, a lesson a lot of tall college recruits find out. I thought he would have been perfect playing Deandre's role but oh well. Players today get way too hung up on positions, back in the day there were 2 guards, 2 forwards and a center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom