Dombrowski hits the bricks | The Boneyard

Dombrowski hits the bricks

Reaction Score
He was the architect of the very successful 2018 team (arguably the best in Red Sox history). But he also gets credit for the very disappointing 2019 team. He spent a lot of money and purged the Sox farm system to get to the top. His successor will have his work cut out for him. He did some good things but a lot of bad things too. Is Theo available?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Please take Neal Huntington off our hands.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He took over a last place club and won a ring. Most of his moves worked out. Thank you Dave!

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
He was good in the short term, but the Sox were not positioned for long term success. He gutted the farm system and appears to have overpaid for starting pitching, maybe out of fear of leaving the cupboard bare. He ignored the bullpen in the off season and left it without any true proven relievers. All this while spending a fortune. The next GM may have to trade Betts or Bradley to free up cash and replenish. I love Mookie, but he may have to be the one given his desire to see free agency and what we can get back in return. I think I read Workman is a free agent after next year, but given the current state of the bullpen, he needs to be resigned.
On a positive note, we paid Pablo $19M this year, but it goes down to only $5M next year.
The Mets pay Bobby Bo until 2035. Only $1.2M so no big deal.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
And who are these guys?
I'm a lowly programmer, so not my job to know. But losing both Kimbrel and Kelly stung. On the flip side, neither had a good season where they landed. There had to be some reliable and consistent relievers out there. We at least needed a closer.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm a lowly programmer, so not my job to know. But losing both Kimbrel and Kelly stung. On the flip side, neither had a good season where they landed.
Letting those guys go was the right move. But his replacement plan didn't pan out.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm a lowly programmer, so not my job to know. But losing both Kimbrel and Kelly stung. On the flip side, neither had a good season where they landed. There had to be some reliable and consistent relievers out there. We at least needed a closer.
I'm just a lowly Mets fan, but we picked up Edwin Diaz in the offseason and I would have considered him a "true proven reliever" seeing as Seattle was 66-0 last season in games that he closed. This season he is terrible. If he had only half as many blown saves as he does we would be in first place.

Based on what I have seen from our competition of late, there are very, very few good bullpens in baseball right now.

Reaction Score
It's the right move, because the organization is in a different spot than it was 4 years ago. And it appears him pushing for the Sale extension big time was what put him in the crosshairs with the owners when he went down with another injury. It would be nice to go out and get a guy from the Tampa organization if there is a young up and comer who's ready (there are probably several).

I wouldn't go overboard on him gutting the farm system. Its possible that Moncada is the only prospect with a solid MLB career out of all the players he gave up to get Chris Sale and Craig Kimbrel. And he refused to put Benintendi or Devers in that trade.
So what he was able to do was identify the minor leaguers he WANTED to keep and traded the other top 50 or top 100 prospects they had.

He traded for Carson Smith and Tyler Thornburg who came off great seasons and they both ended up injured almost immediately. Not sure if its bad luck or our medical staff or him ignoring our medical staff red flags. IF it's bad luck, not his fault.

But yeah it's time for him to go now. We need someone who can rebuild this organization and find the best offer for Mookie. Mookie is cold blooded with this free agency thing. Get two to three really good prospects if you can for him to start the rebuild the right way and work on a contract for Devers.

Reaction Score
No surprise as this has been Dombrowski's MO for years. Buy free agents high and strip the farm system dry to push for 1 to 3 successful seasons (World Series or LCS contenders) and then either or the owner (Marlins) burns it all down once that magic window closes. He did it at Miami (WS '97, '03 [left in '01 though he basically put together this team), Detroit (ALCS '06, '12) and now Boston (WS '18). That said, the Sox got what they wanted from him. Now, its time to turn the page, I guess,

Reaction Score
He had a lot more positives than negatives here. Won AL east 3 years in a row and won the WS with one of the best teams in recent MLB history.
Made successful big trades and small trades (Pearce and Eovaldi acquisitions were huge for us last year in exchange for basically Jalen Beeks). Fired Farrell despite two divisions in a row and replaced him with Cora.
But this organization has to rebuild the farm now and hes not the one you want to do it.
All in all he did his job.

Reaction Score
So now what happens with Cora. Although I like Cora, i would say that given the talent and the payroll, he has underachieved this year. The team seems to be just going through the motions now with no enthusiasm. The new GM may very well bring in his own manager. Cora was perfect for last year's team but perhaps not for this year. Next year??????

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Cora is a top manager, he's not going anywhere.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
As a Mets fan I would gladly trade Callaway and Syndergaard for Cora and Mookie. Deal?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Please take Neal Huntington off our hands.

What kind of compensation is Pitt offering to do that? :)

But seriously my top 2 choices are Forst (oak) and bloom (Tampa)

Third would be the kid in Houston who might get a long look but I’m forgetting his name.

the Q

Reaction Score
He had a lot more positives than negatives here. Won AL east 3 years in a row and won the WS with one of the best teams in recent MLB history.
Made successful big trades and small trades (Pearce and Eovaldi acquisitions were huge for us last year in exchange for basically Jalen Beeks). Fired Farrell despite two divisions in a row and replaced him with Cora.
But this organization has to rebuild the farm now and hes not the one you want to do it.
All in all he did his job.

Historically he might be. Look at his work in Montreal, Florida and early 2000s Detroit.

But this will be an interesting challenge for whoever gets it.

The salary structure/situation is a mess right now.

the Q

Reaction Score
Chaim Bloom is a home run hire.

excited they went outside the org.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Historically he might be. Look at his work in Montreal, Florida and early 2000s Detroit.
But this will be an interesting challenge for whoever gets it.
The salary structure/situation is a mess right now.
This isn't exactly a JC coming to UConn situation. Don't kid yourself, the Sox are still loaded.

the Q

Reaction Score
This isn't exactly a JC coming to UConn situation. Don't kid yourself, the Sox are still loaded.

They were also loaded, allegedly, in 2012. Instead they were stuck with a fat payroll of names.

I’ll be impressed if he can move some of the starters.

Reaction Score
We dont know if 3 of their top 4 starters are going to be injured again or if martinez or even betts will be on the team. I'm not that confident in 2020.

That being said hiring Bloom is an enormous hire for the organization.
This ownership has made the perfect GM hires at the right times.

the Q

Reaction Score
We dont know if 3 of their top 4 starters are going to be injured again or if martinez or even betts will be on the team. I'm not that confident in 2020.

That being said hiring Bloom is an enormous hire for the organization.
This ownership has made the perfect GM hires at the right times.

Yup.

There were a lot of self righteous idiots on Sons of Sam Horn who wanted Ferreira solely because of her gender, but there was a clear list of elite realistic candidates (I.e. not Theo, Friedman, or Hazen):

Forst (oak)
Bloom
Taubman (Hou)

After the media hissy fit the other day, that left 2 elite options and the Sox got one of them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom