Dom Amore: In this game of inches, UConn football survived to beat Temple | The Boneyard

Dom Amore: In this game of inches, UConn football survived to beat Temple

Reaction Score

-> During the timeout, defensive coordinator Matt Brock huddled with his starters to set the strategy. One of the refs told Mora to make sure his players stayed on the field, because whatever happened, they would likely be reviewing it.

Then UConn lined up, Tui Faumuina-Brown, Jack Barton, Jelani Stafford, Dal’Mont Gourdine, Langston Hardy in front. “Coach Brock wanted to make sure we had the right call,” linebacker Jayden McDonald said. “We kind of knew they were going to come in with a tush push, so we were set in one of our ‘bear fronts” to stop that, and it was just man-on-man. Who’s going to be the bigger man.” <-

-> “They’ve run that successfully in the past; that’s a hard play to stop,” Mora said. “The tush push, or brotherly shove, whatever it is. Just root hog, we got to get under them so they can’t drive their legs, and you’ve got to have guys come over the top.”

Douglas took the snap, and ran straight into the wall as defensive back Durante Jones came vaulting over the top of the heap. The Temple quarterback lost the ball as he hit the tushes in front of him, and it bounced away from the pile. Jordan Wright was there to scoop it up and with no time on the clock and he raced to the end zone to secure six unnecessary points and the very necessary victory. <-

-> “I saw that ball out, I knew I had to score,” Wright said. “… Coach Brock called an amazing call. I don’t even think (Douglas) ever possessed the ball; as soon as he tried to come up, it was already out. I turned around, like God’s gift it was there and I picked it up and got to running. I knew no one was catching me. I told them, ‘meet me in the end zone.’ Coach was telling me to get down, but we needed that, I needed the fans to feel that, I just wanted them to know we appreciated them and thank them for coming and giving us a piece of the excitement.” <-

Reaction Score
Everyone knew he should have gone down. Coach told him to go down then he should have, but I doubt he heard coach tell him to. The crowd was screaming and jumping and the UConn sideline was following him down the field cheering. It was a great moment and glad the young man ran with it. Years and frustration and disappointment and then this one play changed all of it for me. The stop was amazing. Had he just fallen n the ball would have still made it amazing, but the sweetness of seeing him run with it and the reaction of the crowd was priceless.

Reaction Score
Everyone knew he should have gone down. Coach told him to go down then he should have, but I doubt he heard coach tell him to. The crowd was screaming and jumping and the UConn sideline was following him down the field cheering. It was a great moment and glad the young man ran with it. Years and frustration and disappointment and then this one play changed all of it for me. The stop was amazing. Had he just fallen n the ball would have still made it amazing, but the sweetness of seeing him run with it and the reaction of the crowd was priceless.
In every instance of that play, you want the guy to take it all the way, except maybe this time. It’s hard to go against everything you’ve been taught.

Reaction Score
It doesn't matter but he should have just fallen on the ball. That wins the game and that is the goal. But it was nice to see him score.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
You said it perfectly. And I don't think anyone could rightly criticize Wright for running in the ball in for the score. His explanation for doing so is really the only legitimate reason; to show appreciation to the fans. It would have been different if we were up twenty points or whatever, but to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat deserved an exclamation point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom