Dom Amore: As UConn football reboots, Randy Edsall is certain the Huskies are bigger, stronger and hungrier to turn the program around… | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dom Amore: As UConn football reboots, Randy Edsall is certain the Huskies are bigger, stronger and hungrier to turn the program around…

Reaction Score
Said it before and will say it now.

This is one of the great experiments many have thought about or contemplated but never had the chance to do. Shut it down and work strictly on body development and building an offense, defense and special teams.

Even if this goes perfectly and UConn wins say 5 or more games and looks like a competent D1 team, no one will ever do this again.

Yes. Absolutely. Because our decision not to play last year had zero to do with the pandemic.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yes. Absolutely. Because our decision not to play last year had zero to do with the pandemic.

You completely misread it. I've also said before and will say it again, the combination of being a new independent and being in a state with very restrictive travel regulations made shutting down the season the right call. UConn's brand didn't have the cache of a BYU or Notre Dame. Cripes NDU had to become an ACC member for the season. Kinda. Point being UConn took a perfect storm to go on hiatus and not worry about playing games while improving the size and conditioning of its roster.

That reality gave UConn the perfect opportunity to shut it down with little to no pushback.

Reaction Score
Hi UConn fans, I have a legit question for you. If your team improves to, say, an average of 7 wins a year, what do you think of your bowl chances since you are no longer in a conference. Most bowls are locked in to conferences and indies only have a realistic opportunity when conferences are unable to fill their contracted slots.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Hi UConn fans, I have a legit question for you. If your team improves to, say, an average of 7 wins a year, what do you think of your bowl chances since you are no longer in a conference. Most bowls are locked in to conferences and indies only have a realistic opportunity when conferences are unable to fill their contracted slots.

If they win 7 games, they'll get into a bowl. I'm sure of it.

Just how attractive playing a 6-6 Southern Mississippi team in front of 684 fans is another question.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

The short answer is "who knows".

I have been surprised with how Benedict has been able to schedule as an independent....so I am sure he also has a plan to address bowl participation.

Reaction Score
The staff and AD talk about making bowls regularly. I think they are pretty sure they will get bowl bids. We are definitely a more attractive name than many of the CUSA schools etc., so we'll find something. The bigger thing I worry about is if/when we get substantially better, if we'll still get crap bowls. Right now, crap bowls sound good. If we win 9+ games and beat a P5 or two, an AAC team and BYU/Boise along the way, we'll be whining about a garbage bowl game.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
The staff and AD talk about making bowls regularly. I think they are pretty sure they will get bowl bids. We are definitely a more attractive name than many of the CUSA schools etc., so we'll find something. The bigger thing I worry about is if/when we get substantially better, if we'll still get crap bowls. Right now, crap bowls sound good. If we win 9+ games and beat a P5 or two, an AAC team and BYU/Boise along the way, we'll be whining about a garbage bowl game.
If conference USA has a contract with a bowl....the bowl can't just skip a CUSA team for UConn...can they?

I would think unless there are conferences that can't fill slots....UConn will find it tough to get a bid.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
No attack on the OP or Dom Amore, they are both good at what they do. Most written has been repeated time and again.
The highlight for myself was the line stating "48 days for the home opener". Our first tailgate in some time! :):D

Agree, almost an understatement. ;)

Yup, imagine RE1.0 taking the 1999 team and playing the 2004 schedule. That's what these last few years have been like. Underdeveloped players and holes all over the roster. Let's be clear, 2 wins and 10 lopsided losses isn't going to cut it this year.

Reaction Score
While it's clear we're demonstrably bigger, stronger, faster and smarter, ultimately whether any of that translates into wins will depend on (no surprise) the quality of our QB play— and having all our players available in this lingering Covid environment. Don’t be shocked if we lose some vaccine skeptics should there be a mandate. We’re living in complicated times.

Reaction Score
If conference USA has a contract with a bowl....the bowl can't just skip a CUSA team for UConn...can they?

I would think unless there are conferences that can't fill slots....UConn will find it tough to get a bid.

Yes, but every year it seems bowls are looking for teams outside the contracts. I think some bowls have even worked together to switch participants for different reasons, like geography. Just too many bowls.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
While it's clear we're demonstrably bigger, stronger, faster and smarter, ultimately whether any of that translates into wins will depend on (no surprise) the quality of our QB play— and having all our players available in this lingering Covid environment. Don’t be shocked if we lose some vaccine skeptics should there be a mandate. We’re living in complicated times.
Yep- and I hope the few key players skeptics change their minds …

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcs1228

Top Bottom