Dom Amore: ‘Oh, my gosh. It’s real;’ Jana El Alfy follows her dreams from Egypt to UConn | The Boneyard

Dom Amore: ‘Oh, my gosh. It’s real;’ Jana El Alfy follows her dreams from Egypt to UConn

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

“Before I signed, I felt like, ‘yeah, I’m going to UConn,’” El Alfy said Monday, after a practice with the Egyptian national team in Cairo. “Then, when I signed the papers, I was like, ‘oh my gosh, it’s real. A dream came true. Everything is becoming real. I’m going to UConn.’”

“UConn is well known for people who know basketball,” El Alfy said. “Wherever people know about basketball, they know UConn has the best women’s program. All my friends, teammates, coaches, they know about UConn and what an amazing university it is, that they have an amazing program, an amazing coach.”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Burn a whole year of eligibility because why?

I asked this questions. Some of the responses were that 1) she wouldn't play this year. Just practice and get accustomed to the tea, and 2) the earlier she comes in, the earlier she can go to the WNBA. I'm thinking 1.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Entering UConn in the second semester...practicing with the team/getting a head
start with academics/weight program/nutrition program...would NOT burn a year of
eligibility. That would happen only if she played in a game in the second half of the
season. It's a good bet...imo...especially since Jana has said she plans to graduate from
high school early.

Reaction Score
I'd bet against it. Yes it could help her with the transition athletically, academically and culturally, but not sure that she (or anyone else for that matter) would be ready for high level D1 competition.

Reaction Score
I'd bet against it. Yes it could help her with the transition athletically, academically and culturally, but not sure that she (or anyone else for that matter) would be ready for high level D1 competition.

I’m not disagreeing, but Talia von Oelhoffen (Oregon State) and Olivia Miles (Notre Dame) both came a semester early in 2021 and had some good minutes in Pac-12/ACC play. Jana could easily do the same.

Reaction Score
Burn a whole year of eligibility because why?
Not unless she actually plays. And I dare say, Geno would be unlikely to play her unless she was providing valuable minutes. In which case, that wouldn't be "burning" a year of eligibility at all

Reaction Score
I asked this questions. Some of the responses were that 1) she wouldn't play this year. Just practice and get accustomed to the tea, and 2) the earlier she comes in, the earlier she can go to the WNBA. I'm thinking 1.
And if she was good enough for us to be worried about her leaving early for the WNBA - so much the better.

Reaction Score
Not unless she actually plays. And I dare say, Geno would be unlikely to play her unless she was providing valuable minutes. In which case, that wouldn't be "burning" a year of eligibility at all
Saylor Poffenberger

Reaction Score
If she did it would be a red shirt year. Still 4 years left. UConn men have a player, Alex Caraban, who did that last year.

If she were to play even a minute, she would burn a year of eligibility. Only three years left at that point. If she only practices and doesn't play in any games, then she would still have four years.

Some players who have started their athletic careers second semester have found there are social issues. The freshmen have already bonded and become close friends. If you don't have a very outgoing personality, it can be problematic.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If she were to play even a minute, she would burn a year of eligibility. Only three years left at that point. If she only practices and doesn't play in any games, then she would still have four years.

Some players who have started their athletic careers second semester have found there are social issues. The freshmen have already bonded and become close friends. If you don't have a very outgoing personality, it can be problematic.
If you see her NBA World camp interviews, she is very outgoing and speaks excellent english. The fact that she wants to be a shining light and example for an entire continent makes me pretty sure she is no shrinking violet.

Reaction Score
I think we have to consider this a possibility for the following reasons. With Ice out and Amari not deemed worthy by Geno of being in the rotation (at least so far), we have a three big rotation with Dorka, Aaliyah and Ayanna. In a big game Geno only used Ayanna for a few minutes, so he doesn't have confidence in the third big yet, but I think he will.

Regardless a rotation of only three bigs is very vulnerable to injury. I'm not saying how likely it is, but if Jana came in and was showing more than Amari right away, that could be a four big rotation this year, or at a minimum a big that is case of injury could be used instead of going small ball, which is likely if Amari was the only option.

Another factor is next year. My best forecast is the C minutes next year will go to Ice and Jana, with Amari an injury backup option. Maybe Amari will lift her game and make it a good three player competition, but regardless the C position will have to rely on inexperienced newcomers. Amari will be a junior that unless things change will have no real game experience. Ice will have limited summer and preseason, and will be recovering from injury, and Jana would be a true freshmen.

Two of those three probably have to be ready for action whether they are ready or not. They do not have the luxury of learning for a year or two behind more experienced starters. From that perspective getting Jana some playing time this year and a head start on next year might make sense.

Reaction Score
I think we have to consider this a possibility for the following reasons. With Ice out and Amari not deemed worthy by Geno of being in the rotation (at least so far), we have a three big rotation with Dorka, Aaliyah and Ayanna. In a big game Geno only used Ayanna for a few minutes, so he doesn't have confidence in the third big yet, but I think he will.

Regardless a rotation of only three bigs is very vulnerable to injury. I'm not saying how likely it is, but if Jana came in and was showing more than Amari right away, that could be a four big rotation this year, or at a minimum a big that is case of injury could be used instead of going small ball, which is likely if Amari was the only option.

Another factor is next year. My best forecast is the C minutes next year will go to Ice and Jana, with Amari an injury backup option. Maybe Amari will lift her game and make it a good three player competition, but regardless the C position will have to rely on inexperienced newcomers. Amari will be a junior that unless things change will have no real game experience. Ice will have limited summer and preseason, and will be recovering from injury, and Jana would be a true freshmen.

Two of those three probably have to be ready for action whether they are ready or not. They do not have the luxury of learning for a year or two behind more experienced starters. From that perspective getting Jana some playing time this year and a head start on next year might make sense.
"With Ice out and Amari not deemed worthy by Geno of being in the rotation (at least so far)"- I think it more accurate to say .... With Ice out and Amari having not proved herself worthy of being in the rotation (at least so far)

Reaction Score
Several posts regarding Jana entering for the spring semester. Hypothetically, what would happen if all four of next year’s class were eligible to enter and decided to enter early. That would result in 16 players in the roster. Is that allowed? Does the extra COVID year permit more than 15 players?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Jana's mobility may make her very much like her idol, B Stewart. Her game is like Stewart's making Uconn a world beater.

Reaction Score
Given El Alfy's penchant for scoring, if she teams up with Hudy, and gets stronger, many Natties are in our future.
A mobile, running, jumping El Alfy will be unstoppable and will take WCBB go a new level. Watch out!!!!

Reaction Score
and still growing.... I"m putting the whole stash down on El Alfy and the Huskies, coming up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom