Dolson's moving screens | The Boneyard

Dolson's moving screens

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
those were all her fault... knocked over one kid and got away with it and followed up by doing it again in the same sequence.

I read somewhere on here (cant find it thats why I started a new thread) "the guards were partly at fault".... I totally disagree. Those were terrible screens.

Reaction Score
She was doing a belly bump while still moving her feet. She could have been called on it even more.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I posted a comment in the game thread after isolating on her. IMO, she has a bad habit of moving into the defender being screened. She rarely stops and sets her feet. I would think opposing coaches are going to be whispering to the refs about it.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Been doing it since she got to Storrs. She's too important to be in foul trouble.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I recall Meg mentioning 1) MOVING SCREEN and ya got away with it and 2) it's partially caused by guards not driving their defender in to her. Dolson then gets tempted to peel off the defender when it should happen the other way.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I'll bet she and CD are working on that this very minute. We just can't have her getting into foul trouble.

Reaction Score
Stanford noticed it last year out there and she will need to be on the court for UCONN to win.......

Reaction Score
Megan was blaming the guards, but it's not the guards fault. Stef doesn't even wait for the guards to start moving, she literally doesn't ever stop to set the screen. Something she needs to work on, because refs are going to call her for it. (And it's not the NBA where it'd be a good screen..heck..or even the WNBA)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Megan was blaming the guards, but it's not the guards fault. Stef doesn't even wait for the guards to start moving, she literally doesn't ever stop to set the screen. Something she needs to work on, because refs are going to call her for it. (And it's not the NBA where it'd be a good screen..heck..or even the WNBA)

I disagree. I think both the guards and Stef are at fault. You mention that Stef doesn't wait for the guards to start moving when it's the guards who need to wait for Stef to stop before they start running their defenders into Stef. Stef is at fault by continuing to move in order to compensate for the guards' impatience. I hope the coaches are working with both Stef and the guards to address the issue.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Cat, and TJI are spot on correct in that it is both the guards and Stef's fault. Part of it is timing, the guard moving before Stef is in place and/or cutting to far off of the pick so that Stef is tempted and slides into the player going above the screen. Stef must not move and let the guard suffer the consequences for not scrubbing the defender off on the screen. Other times it is indeed Stef's fault. I would say it is 60/40 the guard's fault. Megan saw the same thing I brought up in the game thread. Bria in particular is too impatient.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Regardless whose 'fault' it is, the guards are not going to get called.... Stef is.
Precisely. But the guards need to be aware of how their execution can place another player in jeopardy.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Stef is tempted and slides into the player going above the screen. Stef must not move and let the guard suffer the consequences for not scrubbing the defender off on the screen. Other times it is indeed Stef's fault. I would say it is 60/40 the guard's fault. Megan saw the same thing I brought up in the game thread. Bria in particular is too impatient.

Stef needs to stop being tempted... period.

not only was she moving she was barreling over the defenders (all while all eyes are on that action because the ball is in the area)

guards had nothing to do with Stef blatant movement on that sequence IMO (haven't paid too much attention to other times BUT this one stood out.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I don't know that anyone is saying they did on that sequence, but to ignore the consequences and, therefore impact, of the guards misplay seems a little narrow sighted. It is, after all, a team game. No doubt, Steph needs to learn. But, like a point guard putting it where a receiving player can make a catch and the receiving player moving to the ball so it's not a turnover, each has a varying degree of responsibility.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I understand that... BUT Stef was extending her arms and belly, a lil more than just "sliding over".

she belly bumped the defender... actually defenders!

as I mentioned I dont know how often her screens are good/bad etc. BUT the one I saw was all her fault.

what Bria, Tiff or any other guard needs to do has nothing to do with what Im talking about on "this play".

Reaction Score
And most of the time, Bria/Kelly/Doty/Tiffany haven't even moved yet, they're just dribbling, and Stef barrels through people. That's not the guards fault.

I like that she's aggressive, she just needs to stay still.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Stef needs to stop being tempted... period.

not only was she moving she was barreling over the defenders (all while all eyes are on that action because the ball is in the area)

guards had nothing to do with Stef blatant movement on that sequence IMO (haven't paid too much attention to other times BUT this one stood out.
I don't disagree about Stef needing to hold her position and not be tempted, but much of the fault lies in poor execution of the picks starting out way too soon and too high. The temptation the guards must resist is setting up too high and moving too soon before Stef can take a set position and instead running a defender through Stef as she is moving. The result is a collision between Stef being in motion and a defender running into her and a moving screen call. The laws of physics dictate the collision appearing worse for the defender. Cat and I said it is both the guards and Stef. One sequence tells you nothing. It went on last year and is happening again this year. It is an issue that Geno and CD will indeed have to address with all involved. The timing and position is critical.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I don't disagree about Stef needing to hold her position and not be tempted, but much of the fault lies in poor execution of the picks starting out way too soon and too high. The temptation the guards must resist is setting up too high and moving too soon before Stef can take a set position and instead running a defender through Stef as she is moving. The result is a collision between Stef being in motion and a defender running into her and a moving screen call. The laws of physics dictate the collision appearing worse for the defender. Cat and I said it is both the guards and Stef. One sequence tells you nothing. It went on last year and is happening again this year. It is an issue that Geno and CD will indeed have to address with all involved. The timing and position is critical.
I hear all that... the ONE play Im talking about was ALL Stef's fault.

I havent paid much attention to all the OTHER times, I just noticed this one because it obvious and I was surprised that she did should a silly thing (belly bump)

I'll pay more attention to the screen and roll from now on, may even go back and look at previous games.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Speaking of screens, I bet Geno was not happy with Banks after she let Bria run right into the Pacific player at midcourt. No bueno. That girl flattened Bria, I hope they show Stef that video and what she could potentially do if she would just stay still. She's 6'5! She doesn't need to move to be an effective screener.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I hear all that... the ONE play Im talking about was ALL Stef's fault.

I havent paid much attention to all the OTHER times, I just noticed this one because it obvious and I was surprised that she did should a silly thing (belly bump)

I'll pay more attention to the screen and roll from now on, may even go back and look at previous games.
Do and watch last years, too. Note how far out the guards are setting up sometimes. Often Stef has taken one position, probably near where they set in practice and then has to move higher but the guard has started to move by then. It is still a work in progress. I have heard neither Geno nor Chris comment on it.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Speaking of screens, I bet Geno was not happy with Banks after she let Bria run right into the Pacific player at midcourt. No bueno. That girl flattened Bria, I hope they show Stef that video and what she could potentially do if she would just stay still. She's 6'5! She doesn't need to move to be an effective screener.

yeah she did

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Yea, and you could see that coming a mile away. I was calling it out. But she couldn't hear me through the TV screen (let alone the fact I had recorded it). :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
You guys are right. My question is: why has the coaching staff not remedied this problem in over a year's time. She is certainly an intelligent girl, and Geno has stated that she knows the game better than any other team member....confusing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom