Dolson, Hartley, Stewart make USBWA all-american team | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dolson, Hartley, Stewart make USBWA all-american team

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I believe this recognition gets a player on the Huskies of Honor wall. Bria and Stef are already there. Stewie, if I'm right, has guaranteed her spot. Since she's a mortal lock for AP and WBCA AA teams. It makes no difference.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I bet there is not one WNBA GM or coach that would take Lucas over DeShields if they had their choice today. IMO, Deshields belongs on that team in place of Lucas.

Reaction Score
I bet there is not one WNBA GM or coach that would take Lucas over DeShields if they had their choice today. IMO, Deshields belongs on that team in place of Lucas.
Maybe, but A) your comparison isn't fair because the criteria are for AA selection this past year's performance and B)Hooper, Liston, Jefferson, Mitchell, and Harrison deserve it more than either of them. Hey, I even think that you could make the case for Alexis Jones (who did play in almost 30 games this year) over Lucas.

Lucas is shooting 39% from the floor (despite a solid 36% from three) which is several percentage points lower than the rest of her team. She has 50% more turnovers than assists. A lot of this is excusable by the fact that led an otherwise weak team to the sweet sixteen as a three seed, but she's less deserving than any of the above.

Reaction Score
The problem this year is that there are a lot of good seniors. When's the last time 8/10 of the team were seniors? Hard for any underclassman to break into that.

Next year should be interesting with so many different faces getting attention.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Which makes no sense. How can they beat UConn without an elite player?
I guess that's why he said "improbable". For the record, I don't think TAMU wins tonight for that very reason...no elite player. But I am assuming that's what the OP meant. Even if they get very very lucky and get by UConn tonight, the lack of an elite player won't take them much further.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I think 8 of the 10 were no brainers...... guess you could argue for Shimmel. I'd take either Hooper or Liston (of course) over Lucas

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Correct, I never said A&M had any elite players. They do have 1st round draft picks in a couple of years. However, I don't discount the possibility that A&M may pull off an upset tonight, even thought I don't think they will. Anything can happen in a game and nothing is guaranteed. Ask Baylor when they played Louisville last year and played A&M in 2011/12. Both games were major upsets and as unlikely as A&M pulling off the upset tonight.

Don't know why some object to fans that don't wear completely dark blue glasses that you can't see anything but UConn out of them. Do I think that UConn will win comfortably YES I DO. However do I also see circumstances if the cards fell just right, that A&M can pull off an upset, YES I DO. Is it likely no, but its still there.

I guess that's why he said "improbable". For the record, I don't think TAMU wins tonight for that very reason...no elite player. But I am assuming that's what the OP meant. Even if they get very very lucky and get by UConn tonight, the lack of an elite player won't take them much further.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Well, the problems is that while she did make the All ACC first team which was 10 players strong, she did not make the Region 2 WBCA (ACC) honor role which was only 7 players strong, so she wasn't eligible for the national award even if those voting might have selected her had she been available.
And while WNBA coaches might select her, it would be for her potential and not for her freshman year stats and she would ride the pine for a year or two before she got a chance to play. Tons of talent, but needs maturing as do all freshman.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Well, the problems is that while she did make the All ACC first team which was 10 players strong, she did not make the Region 2 WBCA (ACC) honor role which was only 7 players strong, so she wasn't eligible for the national award even if those voting might have selected her had she been available.
And while WNBA coaches might select her, it would be for her potential and not for her freshman year stats and she would ride the pine for a year or two before she got a chance to play. Tons of talent, but needs maturing as do all freshman.

I disagree. DeShields is a better player than Lucas RIGHT NOW. She can do things on the court that Lucas can only dream about. DeShields reminds me so much of Maya Moore with the ease with which she can make physical plays. She has the complete offensive package. And quite frankly, she is a darn good defender. Her length and athleticism make her a nightmare for the player she is defending.

Lucas has 6 points against Stanford (0 in the second half). That just isn't AA caliber play, IMO.

Reaction Score
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!......and next year we'll have 3 as well.....MoJeff, KML, & Stewie.....maybe more!?!

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Closer to home Nina Davis or Diamond DeShields? Consider the full person. :)

I disagree. DeShields is a better player than Lucas RIGHT NOW. She can do things on the court that Lucas can only dream about. DeShields reminds me so much of Maya Moore with the ease with which she can make physical plays. She has the complete offensive package. And quite frankly, she is a darn good defender. Her length and athleticism make her a nightmare for the player she is defending.

Lucas has 6 points against Stanford (0 in the second half). That just isn't AA caliber play, IMO.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm comfortable with the selections. I agree that 8 were no-brainers. For Schimmel and Lucas, their 4-year performance may have helped get them the nod. Maggie had 2,500 points. Only 2 UConn players have ever done that, and both were NPOYs.

I don't think I like the regional aspect of the selections, but the results are fine. I'm sure that Hooper, Liston, and DeShields had to be close.

So, the 2 kids from 2010 who started as frosh and stayed at UConn each made AA twice. Even with the defections, that's a good recruiting class--4 AA selections. I expect the 2012 class will have between 5 and 7, the higher number if Morgan's surgery is successful.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
8 seniors and 2 stellar sophs. The class of 2011-15 will be represented by K next year. Count on it.

Reaction Score
Which makes no sense. How can they beat UConn without an elite player?
Great Point. The best team in the country is eliminated by a team with no elite player and yet you must have an elite player to win the national championship????? Duh!

Reaction Score
The selections to the AA team are a joke without naming Diamond. Diamond is the most athletic female ever to bounce a basketball - pro or college. Quiets keep, she is the WNBA GMs #1 pick right now.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
The selections to the AA team are a joke without naming Diamond. Diamond is the most athletic female ever to bounce a basketball - pro or college. Quiets keep, she is the WNBA GMs #1 pick right now.

That's quite a statement. "most athletic female to ever bounce a basketball - pro or college.. AA team are a joke without naming Diamond .. WNBA GMs #1 pick right now."

Care to substantiate?

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
??? Is this a joke? It's a good one, if so. I am betting 10 out of 10 GMs would take Stewart over Diamond today. And probably Chiney. And Sims.

Marion Jones was pretty athletic. So is Maya Moore. Catchings. Holdsclaw. I can think of lots of others. It's interesting that you have three posts so far and this is one of them...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Just as with high school AAs and recruitment ranking, there is a difference between accomplishments at one level and projected success at the next level. In football, the Heisman Award winner is often not a great pro prospect. AA awards are based on what the players did this year. Diamond had a nice season and improved over 30+ games. But she had poor shooting and high turnover games early on. She also takes plays off. I'd have her about 15-18 on this year's performance.

Reaction Score
??? Is this a joke? It's a good one, if so. I am betting 10 out of 10 GMs would take Stewart over Diamond today. And probably Chiney. And Sims.

Marion Jones was pretty athletic. So is Maya Moore. Catchings. Holdsclaw. I can think of lots of others. It's interesting that you have three posts so far and this is one of them...

Not quite sure of the relevance of the number of posts; none of the players mentioned above are/were more athletic than Diamond, just ask them. To the extent you mentioned Marion Jones displays your understanding of the statement. And moreover, you would lose that bet. However, I will admit that the evidence is somewhat anecdotal at this point, but time will tell. The ten AA picked ahead of Diamond vs Diamond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom