Doesn't feel like we're competing | The Boneyard

Doesn't feel like we're competing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'm usual not one to do the mid game thread, but this is extremely lackluster performance.

Doesn't seem like there is any fire and that everyone is resigned to the fact that it's win the AAC or bust.

I don't think this was a very good team, but they are playing like a team that doesn't care.

Ollie included.

Reaction Score
That should mean a loss during the first weekend of the tournament. Not this.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
S
We just aren't as good as we all wanted... happens.

happens; then you are supposed to fix it. Ollie makes 3m per year playing in this crap league...I don't think it is too much to ask that Nolan hit a layup, Purvis hit one free throw and TSam learn to make a .

Reaction Score
It's not too much to ask anyone but it's surely not for a lack of trying. This year has been rough, but nobody was bitching about Nolan last year when he played a solid supporting role. He just had a lot more space to work with the options we had last year.

Reaction Score
S

happens; then you are supposed to fix it. Ollie makes 3m per year playing in this crap league...I don't think it is too much to ask that Nolan hit a layup, Purvis hit one free throw and TSam learn to make a .
if your blaming this year on Ollie you know nothing about basketball.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if anyone is blaming him.

Just seems like something is off aside from the talent level.
Youth and basketball IQ (which goes hand in hand)

Not Ollie's fault Purvis does not know he is standing out of bounds. Not his fault his guys fight each for rebounds. Not his fault Hamilton has a knack for dribbling it off his foot.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Half the team is working it and the other half are watching them work it. It's like we never actually have 5 guys on the floor playing the same game.

It's not what's recognizable as "UConn Basketball".

Reaction Score

Not Ollie's fault Purvis does not know he is standing out of bounds. Not his fault his guys fight each for rebounds. Not his fault Hamilton has a knack for dribbling it off his foot.

The rebounding thing is a lack of communication, and having it happen this often means there is an issue with the way they approach rebounding. That one is on the coach.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

My main gripe is that we seemingly come out flat and have to play catch up most games it seems.

Whether that is preparation, effort, game planning, I can't say for sure. But I do think a lot of that goes on the coach.

If he gets credit for the effort the past two seasons, then in turn, where do we look now?

Reaction Score
The rebounding thing is a lack of communication, and having it happen this often means there is an issue with the way they approach rebounding. That one is on the coach.
I understand what your saying, but Ollie I am sure gets on these guys for lack of communication but at the end of the day he cannot make them talk and get them to have common sense.

Reaction Score
My main gripe is that we seemingly come out flat and have to play catch up most games it seems.

Whether that is preparation, effort, game planning, I can't say for sure. But I do think a lot of that goes on the coach.

If he gets credit for the effort the past two seasons, then in turn, where do we look now?
Ollie has not been perfect this year by any means, but if Calhoun was coaching, Knight, Red, or K, this team is still going to lose 10+ games.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's remarkable that they only lost by three given that they conceded the first ten minutes of both halves.

It's not the most talented team by a long shot, but they compound it with the unforced errors and the aimless wandering for long stretches of these games.

Ollie gets to share the blame - that's why he makes the big bucks - but I'm sure he's as mystified as we are at some of what we see out there.

Reaction Score

How many times has this happened? To multiple people., not just Purvis. MORE THAN I CAN COUNT THIS YEAR! Inexcusable now. It's almost March.

Reaction Score
It's remarkable that they only lost by three given that they conceded the first ten minutes of both halves.

It's not the most talented team by a long shot, but they compound it with the unforced errors and the aimless wandering for long stretches of these games.

Ollie gets to share the blame - that's why he makes the big bucks - but I'm sure he's as mystified as we are at some of what we see out there.
I'm sure he's mystified, but JC would have had more than a few Ts sticking up for his guys against the refs we get.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Ollie has not been perfect this year by any means, but if Calhoun was coaching, Knight, Red, or K, this team is still going to lose 10+ games.

Probably true.

Just tough to imagine UConn teams losing to Yale, Houston and struggling to compete in this poor of a league.

Reaction Score
All true, in fact with JC they may have lost more, BUT!!! - the team on the court would play with more intensity. Something is not right - not just a talent issue. I mean, this team was much better earlier in the year, don't you think?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

It's not Ollie's fault that Purvis stands out of bounds every game, but it is Ollie's choice to keep playing him. As the head coach he is responsible for the overall development of the program. He's in year three as a head coach and he has recruited and developed a team that allows repeated mental mistakes to go unpunished (unpunished is actually a bad term but my internal thesaurus is lacking right now).

Bottom line is that the current team has a shooting guard who can't make 50% of his FT's and commits at least three TO's per game due to lack of awareness. And no one on the bench is in a position to take minutes away from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom