Does WCBB "reinforce" with hard fouls? | The Boneyard

Does WCBB "reinforce" with hard fouls?

Reaction Score
The recent Red Sox-Orioles fight (Machado spiking Pedroia, and the payback pitch at Machado's head) got me thinking that in prof. sports it's part of the honor code to protect/revenge your teammates.

Can we think of any example in WCBB of an intentional hard foul or other action as retribution?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The recent Red Sox-Orioles fight (Machado spiking Pedroia, and the payback pitch at Machado's head) got me thinking that in prof. sports it's part of the honor code to protect/revenge your teammates.

Can we think of any example in WCBB of an intentional hard foul or other action as retribution?
Maya going off on Syracuse is the only thing I can think of but that was psychological and not physical. There have been numerous 'hard fouls' over the years but I think based on frustration and not on revenge. People talked about BamBam being our enforcer back around 2000, but that was a different era. I cannot really think of a player retaliating for the abuse DT used to take or Maya or Stewart or now Lou.

Reaction Score
Maya going off on Syracuse is the only thing I can think of but that was psychological and not physical. There have been numerous 'hard fouls' over the years but I think based on frustration and not on revenge. People talked about BamBam being our enforcer back around 2000, but that was a different era. I cannot really think of a player retaliating for the abuse DT used to take or Maya or Stewart or now Lou.
Shea got in someone's grill in an NCAA game. Almost came to blows.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Shea got in someone's grill in an NCAA game. Almost came to blows.
IIRC, Shea fore-armed a player who had fouled a teammate back in the day. I believe she got a technical for it.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
In the WNBA, I clearly remember Erin Phillips's first game for the Sun as a 19-year-old Aussie coming to play in the US. She had the same kind of personality and reputation as Kia Nurse or Caroline Doty -- someone who didn't shy away from contact.

It was just a preseason exhibition game. Nonetheless, the Detroit Shock, coached by Bill Laimbeer, didn't wait for her to do anything. Within minutes of her coming into the game, one of the Detroit forwards decked her with a hockey check. Phillips is about 5-8, and the person who hit her was over 6 feet tall.

Welcome to America, and to the WNBA!

Caroline never played in the WNBA, but I wouldn't be surprised if Kia gets a similar greeting early in her WNBA career. If Darnell is in the stands, I hope he doesn't overreact.

Reaction Score
Brittney Griner goes swinging!!
I'm still mad about that one. She broke Jordan Barncastle's nose and she only sat for two games. Definitely a case of preferential treatment given to a star athlete.

Reaction Score
I'm still mad about that one. She broke Jordan Barncastle's nose and she only sat for two games. Definitely a case of preferential treatment given to a star athlete.

Agreed. Should've had atleast 5 games

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom