Does Virginia Tech stay undefeated? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Does Virginia Tech stay undefeated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ahhhh.... gotcha. As an ACC fan whenever I see the word Osceola I think of FSU :oops:

One of these days I hope to visit Mt Washington. I visited Mt Mitchell for the first time this past fall. might try to visit Clingsman Dome later this year (driving of course) :cool:
Mt Washington is amazing in good weather, and dangerous in poor weather. Pick a good day!

Reaction Score
Mt Washington is amazing in good weather, and dangerous in poor weather. Pick a good day!

I know Mt Mitchell can be practically driven up to the summit (having done so many years ago), but correct me if I'm wrong, I believe Mt Washington must still be hiked on foot. (Did so via one of the various trail options, again, many years ago.) I'm sure Mt Mitchell has trails as well.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
So yeah, back to the thread topic...

...VT lost the game to Miami.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I know Mt Mitchell can be practically driven up to the summit (having done so many years ago), but correct me if I'm wrong, I believe Mt Washington must still be hiked on foot. (Did so via one of the various trail options, again, many years ago.) I'm sure Mt Mitchell has trails as well.
Three ways up Mt. Washington - foot, cog railway, and auto road. I have done all three multiple times including on foot with a group of novice campers in what ended up as an August snow storm - we were caught unawares in the middle of a three day hike and were slightly closer to the summit than the tree line so forged on. Quite a bit of snow but luckily little wind and the trail well marked by cairns. Ended up being picked up by a van off the summit after the storm passed.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I was on Washington July 2015, first time in 30 years or so, but my 35th time on the mountain. But I do want to do it in winter.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Sorry for continuing on the different trail but this is my favorite subject behind UConn. I almost took the cog railway once, but I had an excuse I was on my honeymoon. Likely, it was to fogged into run so all the times I've been on Washington I've done it on foot.

While the auto road is intended for, well autos, I've been up that four times. They have a running race up there and I participated in that twice. Back in the 60s I went up twice at night — the goal was to see the sunrise and we didn't want to walk up a trail at night so we figured we could walk up the auto road which worked. Unfortunately, the sunrise is visible about 60 days a year so the odds are against us and it was cloudy both times.

Reaction Score
Virginia Tech has started each half very strong only to see Miami assert themselves in the 2nd and 4th quarters. Miami now leads by 7 with 3 minutes to go.

... and Chanette Hicks just fouled out. VT ain't coming back.

This was an amazing run for Kenny Brooks--he just departed a good run at JMU--and took over at VT--as a new coach with a new team--this was nothing short of amazing--you shall hear more from this Coach. His ability to handle players with dignity impresses me. I'm a Kenny fan.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I was on Washington July 2015, first time in 30 years or so, but my 35th time on the mountain. But I do want to do it in winter.
My sister climbed in winter up Tuckerman's but when they got to the ridge they had to turn back because of wind - incredible photos.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Sorry for continuing on the different trail but this is my favorite subject behind UConn. I almost took the cog railway once, but I had an excuse I was on my honeymoon. Likely, it was to fogged into run so all the times I've been on Washington I've done it on foot.

While the auto road is intended for, well autos, I've been up that four times. They have a running race up there and I participated in that twice. Back in the 60s I went up twice at night — the goal was to see the sunrise and we didn't want to walk up a trail at night so we figured we could walk up the auto road which worked. Unfortunately, the sunrise is visible about 60 days a year so the odds are against us and it was cloudy both times.
The cog railway is a pretty amazing engineering feat - the times I took it was when they still burned coal and the only time I've ever experienced 'smuts' dropping from the ceiling of the passenger car.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
My sister climbed in winter up Tuckerman's but when they got to the ridge they had to turn back because of wind - incredible photos.
I went up to Tuckerman's in the winter of 1974, but that was as far as we had planned. Also have skiied Tuckerman's which is very steep. Far steeper than any lift accessible trails.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I didnt mean to steer this thread off course.... but I'll revisit the topic of mountains after the season in a OT thread.

I'll end with this ... while VPI is greatly improved this season... they aren't quite ready to climb the Summit of the ACC :cool::p:D;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom