Does Uconn | The Boneyard

Does Uconn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
does need to bring another team with them to get into the ACC to make an even number ?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
there are tons of threads on this subject on the "realignment board". the short answer seems to be "wait and see", and "if ND goes to the ACC, they'd probably take UCONN too". there's lots of info over on that board... :)

there's a chance that it may be as long as 2 years before things shake out.

Reaction Score
ND may never join a conference in football...I guess they think it's still 1970 and that they're relevant. I think a more likely scenario would be UConn and Rutgers...

Reaction Score
ND may never join a conference in football...I guess they think it's still 1970 and that they're relevant. I think a more likely scenario would be UConn and Rutgers...

I agree. If ND does decide to join a conference I think the Big 10 is much more likely
than the ACC.

Nobody should be holding their breath on this. The ACC knows it can get UConn and/or
Rutgers any time they want to, so they're not going to be in any rush. They'll investigate
all their options first.

Reaction Score
I do not know the figures, but the individual T.V. contract with ABC that N. D. has precludes any rushing to another conference & share their revenue. It would be to their advantage to help rebuild the Big East & commit to playing X amount of games with the B.E. football conference.

Reaction Score
Another forum for this thread was created so this may/should be moved soon, but I'll add some ND perspective. I think they know that eventually they'll have to join a conference. That fact is more acceptable and possibly even preferred with the younger alumni than those "who still believe it's 1970". It will happen when 4 16 team conferences are created. ND is very much connected and in contact with U of Texas. UT's movement and network contract with a conference will forshadow ND's next step.

Would be shocked, if it were ever the B10. The only people that think this makes since are people that aren't affiliated with ND. Location means nothing, except in the terms that most speculate that ND will become more of a regional school if they join the B10. Besides the Chicago area, ND significantly less alumni in the Midwest then the east coast. When they recruit for football they get to tell recruits that they will play in every corner of the country, not close to every Great Lake. ND has very little in common with the large B10 land grant schools. They are also in no hurry to let UM or OSU decide their fate.

The ACC has appeal and is plausible. ND would like the connection to schools like Duke, UNC, and Virginia. The ACC has a weak tv contract and a grandfathering of it's NBC home game contract could work without having to share anything. The ACC would benefit by having it's teams exposed nationally on NBC. That may not last forever but would work in the new conferences that wants a better tv contract.

As far as the subject of ND's relevancy in football is concerned the answer is moot. It simply doesn't matter. I understand how that makes fans of other schools feel. What does matter is that as long as people love them or hate them they will tune in to watch them win or lose. There is a reason that ND football dealings make the front page of sport sections in Miami, LA, NY, Seattle, Chicago etc. Not to be rude but a weak losing ND has more value then UConn and Rutgers football combined to a conference. Football decides all, this isn't even about a single other sport.

There is always suggestions that the BE kick ND out. Where I'm confused by this position is who exactly would be kicking them out? The other Catholic schools? The other BBonlies? That's half the conference. Essentially that means the football schools would want to break off and form their own conference. The Catholic schools and BBonlies form their own. ND is still independent in football and has a home for all other sports. The football schools are then significantly weaker regardless. The BE got exactly what they signed up for. ND didn't join the BE with the stipulation that they would join for football even if it meant saving the conference. When they joined the BE they already played BC and Miami and there wasn't much else to speak of in the BE...maybe VTech. This isn't strictly about money and BCS payouts. ND has a 6 billion plus endowment. Sorry to say it is what it is. They are a national university with alumni the world over who are steeped in tradition and success...no matter how long ago it was...people are still alive who witnessed it. 20 years from now if UConn never wins another NCAA will you not still remember when you dominated both men's and women's basketball and how glorious it was. Take that same sentiment and spread it across the world...then you'll get it.

Reaction Score
UCONN's dominance in mens ans womens basketball is already known across the world. Just as many people know who UCONN is as they do ND.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
UCONN's dominance in mens ans womens basketball is already known across the world. Just as many people know who UCONN is as they do ND.

As much as I hate ND, and I do with every fiber of my body, that...would just be... no.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
As much as I hate ND, and I do with every fiber of my body, that...would just be... no.
Yeah, but half the people around the world just think they are a cathedral in Paris.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yeah, but half the people around the world just think they are a cathedral in Paris.

And those people think UCONN is ..well... the Yukon. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom