Does this team seem stronger to you? | The Boneyard

Does this team seem stronger to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Balis has received much praise. And the team seems better conditioned to my eye. Other teams seem to wear out before the Huskies.

What I haven't seen is an advantage in physical strength in the trenches. Our defensive line doesn't really push back the opposing offensive line. And our offense line doesn't really push back the opposing defensive line. So far in our three games, we haven't decisively won the LOS in any game. We don't seem to be any more physical or stronger than any of our opponents including Maine.

Our conditioning was clearly better than Maine in the 4th quarter. They were done and we dominated. But to my eye that wasn't being physically stronger and asserting our will, we just tired them out. A great thing to be sure. But for all we have heard about our guys getting stronger and being more physical, it really hasn't shown up so far.

Agree? Disagree? Different expectations? I'm curious about other comments on this.

Reaction Score
More will power than actual power. I'm disappointed by the OL's inability to move people off the line of scrimmage despite their massive size. As I've said elsewhere, our Oline is tall and I wonder if they have basic leverage problems getting underneath and driving shorter defensive opponents. They also have slow feet and the inability to block from a centered mass neutralizes strength advantages when they are reaching and off balance. The most important capabilities for Olineman are quick feet and the ability to get leverage on the defensive opponent with technique. A much lineman can control a much bigger lineman with speed and good technique.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I think your observation is right on and am left wondering about technique/scheme. Which has been a lingering question for years, unfortunately.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Our o line might be too big. We have one of the biggest lines in the country and most of the others are SEC teams. Our athletes are far inferior to theirs, so we have size at the expense of speed and agility. Having a 320 pound tackle who can't move his feet isn't much help.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I posted this eslewhere but Knappe fights off guys with his arms but doesn't use his lower body to drive them. That's a battle that you are going lose 90% of the time.

Reaction Score
I said at the beginning of the year that I thought our Oline was still going to have issues. They were not Diaco recruits for the most part and he is trying to run his system with guys recruited for a different one. Or at best he's going with some hybrid and trying to make up for lack of speed with size. I think Peart is his only true recruit and he is having a freshman year--some good some bad. As we see more Diaco guys in the line we hope to see improvement.

Reaction Score
Seems to me that we are not connecting on a lot of secondary blocks. Backs and receivers are not getting to where they need to get fast enough and are missing blocks. So holes are closing faster than they should.

Reaction Score
I posted this eslewhere but Knappe fights off guys with his arms but doesn't use his lower body to drive them. That's a battle that you are going lose 90% of the time.
dont think i have see him in a 3 point stance. sumu

Reaction Score
If you're looking for drive blocking or penetration on defense it often comes down to the scheme you're running and the technique you practice. Consider how often we blitz on D and what the assignments are. With 4 down linemen you can at least have 2 speed ends coming on every play. You play what you practice but I'd say the guys are in good shape. Hopefully no more 90° + indoor practices though.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Short answer is yes, they are stronger. It is evident in their body composition and in their 4th quarter stamina. All three games, UConn was the stronger team in the 4th (Even the Navy goal line play. Johnson didn't hit intended hole).

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
I agree on all that... Just think it comes down to execution and really its on the Offensive side of the ball that most concerns me each week- we can't seem to score points.

Reaction Score
Balis has received much praise. And the team seems better conditioned to my eye. Other teams seem to wear out before the Huskies.

What I haven't seen is an advantage in physical strength in the trenches. Our defensive line doesn't really push back the opposing offensive line. And our offense line doesn't really push back the opposing defensive line. So far in our three games, we haven't decisively won the LOS in any game. We don't seem to be any more physical or stronger than any of our opponents including Maine.

Our conditioning was clearly better than Maine in the 4th quarter. They were done and we dominated. But to my eye that wasn't being physically stronger and asserting our will, we just tired them out. A great thing to be sure. But for all we have heard about our guys getting stronger and being more physical, it really hasn't shown up so far.

Agree? Disagree? Different expectations? I'm curious about other comments on this.
I agree with you ... conditioning is greatly improved.
Watched all three games with former D1 linebacker friend who turned to me in the Virginia game and thought that VA defensive front 7 was gassed in the fourth quarter and UVA looked worn down....

Reaction Score
Let's answer the OP directly.

We have been in a stronger mode, dominating line of scrimmage, in each of these games in the second half - sometimes particularly noticeable in the 4th quarter. I would say that is evidence of strength and fitness of our Lines. As for the comment that WE (UConn) is one of the biggest lines in D1 ... I see huge lines all over. Watched Holy Cross play later Saturday & they had a few pounds on each of our OLine. I think you would see over 300 lb average often across 160 teams.

Reaction Score
I said at the beginning of the year that I thought our Oline was still going to have issues. They were not Diaco recruits for the most part and he is trying to run his system with guys recruited for a different one. Or at best he's going with some hybrid and trying to make up for lack of speed with size. I think Peart is his only true recruit and he is having a freshman year--some good some bad. As we see more Diaco guys in the line we hope to see improvement.
I would like to see some Cummings and Verducci guys rolling in as O-linemen pretty darn soon. Cummings is supposed to be the O-line coach so where are his recruits?

Reaction Score

These guys are in incredible shape and are HUGE.
Balis work with the team is impressive. I believe the O line will continue to improve and for the first time in years we have good depth there. We are able to play 4 Quarters. The players love Balis and feel very fortunate that he is at UCONN. Same with the D line. This team although frustrating and boring to watch didn't have any quit in them. They will get better as the season progresses. Listen to them, not me:

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Short answer is yes, they are stronger. It is evident in their body composition and in their 4th quarter stamina. All three games, UConn was the stronger team in the 4th (Even the Navy goal line play. Johnson didn't hit intended hole).

I noticed Johnson missing a huge hole and bouncing it to the outside for a loss earlier in the game too... again I think it's because our OL has been awful for so long... but there are definitely some bigger holes being opened up. They have gotten stronger. There's been a noticeable improvement by the OL. It's still a work in progress though.

Reaction Score
Ron Johnson's gotta do a better job of using that 5'11 220lb frame and start smashmouthing folks in those holes... If he tries to bounce outside one more time I'm gonna throw the remote through 55" ... I hope he doesn't do that against Syracuse this weekend.. I almost did that to my TV this past weekend.... He's gotta trust his power/strength to get yardage in the middle.. head more North/South... Newsome does that more than he does... You'd think it'd be the other way around...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom