Does This NCAA Announcement Mean What (I Think) It Says? Eligibility Extension? Roster Expansion (for one year)? | The Boneyard

Does This NCAA Announcement Mean What (I Think) It Says? Eligibility Extension? Roster Expansion (for one year)?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I was checking the NCAA news and came across this announcement.
At first, I thought this was an update on overall decisions made in relation to how COVID is affecting winter sports (there's a number of issues covered). Here's a link for the whole thing:

But the lead paragraph caught my attention:

"Winter sport student-athletes who compete during 2020-21 in Division I will receive both an additional season of competition and an additional year in which to complete it, the Division I Council decided. The same flexibility was provided to student-athletes after the spring season was canceled in 2020 and the fall season was seriously impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic."

So, I scanned around to see if anyone had gone a bit further on this. The only thing I came up with was this article from Maine that Raoul posted. What caught my attention there was that teams will be allowed to carry an extra roster slot in 2021-22 because of this (if they can afford it). An excerpt from the Bangor Daily News:
- "Competition during the 2020-21 winter season will not count toward the NCAA’s eight-semester, five-year eligibility limits for scholarship athletes."
The NCAA has allowed schools to provide additional scholarship money beyond the usual limits to accommodate any roster increase. Seniors return for a fifth year won’t have their scholarships counted towards the NCAA maximum.
- "For example, 15 full scholarships are allowed in women’s Division I basketball. So if UMaine head coach Amy Vachon has five seniors on full scholarships and they all decided to return, that would theoretically enable her to carry 20 scholarship players during the 2021-22 season."

So, should I read this literally? Is every athlete on the UConn or ND roster who suits up for the schools up for an extra year of eligilbility during another year (presumably 2021-22) to achieve it. Now, the article pointed out, not all schools will be able to afford this so this might help the "have's" of the sport?

Now, this came out a week ago. I've either missed the ensuing hubub (that's kind of a big deal, no? I mean, for instance, does Dara get three years?) Or am I misunderstanding this?

Any input appreciated.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Although I have not really read anything much on this, I had heard it. So far as I know, it is exactly what it says. Presumably, a precaution against the fact that this season will be problematical throughout, even if in the end everything goes according to plan.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
So, should I read this literally? Is every athlete on the UConn or ND roster who suits up for the schools up for an extra year of eligilbility during another year (presumably 2021-22) to achieve it. Now, the article pointed out, not all schools will be able to afford this so this might help the "have's" of the sport?

Now, this came out a week ago. I've either missed the ensuing hubub (that's kind of a big deal, no? I mean, for instance, does Dara get three years?) Or am I misunderstanding this?

Any input appreciated.
If I understand your question correctly: Yes.

People don't realize how far-reaching (and, imho, absurd) this decision is. Essentially, 2020-21 will be a "freebie" year for all fall and winter athletes, in the sense that it won't count against either the 4 years of eligibility or the 5-year clock. So yes, players can end up playing 5 full seasons as a result.

(FYI this was discussed on the main board after the announcement came out: Winter Sports Extra Eligibility)

Dillon77

Reaction Score
(FYI this was discussed on the main board after the announcement came out: Winter Sports Extra Eligibility)

Thanks for your opinion -- always interesting -- and the reference back to the initial posting. As note in my post, I was wondering if I missed it (have had a hectic week concentrating on other matters). And, I just missed it.
Truth be told, I've almost given up on what qualifies as the "main board" and which is the "general." I used to think of the main as "UConn-centric," (and all the odd fun things that also pop up), but I'm always guessing wrong. Been on I-80 too long. :rolleyes:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Thanks for your opinion -- always interesting -- and the reference back to the initial posting. As note in my post, I was wondering if I missed it (have had a hectic week concentrating on other matters). And, I just missed it.
Truth be told, I've almost given up on what qualifies as the "main board" and which is the "general." I used to think of the main as "UConn-centric," (and all the odd fun things that also pop up), but I'm always guessing wrong. Been on I-80 too long. :rolleyes:
Yeah, the nomenclature is a bit wonky, as one wouldn't think that "main board" and "general board" would be two counterposed things.

If I may add further clarifying mud to the water, I'd say the "general WBB" board is, in effect, primarily for non-UConn threads so they don't compete for space with the UConn-centric content on the "main" board. However (more mud incoming), plenty of items of general interest do get posted, and are welcomed, on the "main" board particularly when they also impact UConn, e.g. the extra-year-of-eligibility folly announcement.

I generally (or is it mainly? :) ) make it a habit to toggle back and forth between the main forum and subforum just to make sure I'm not missing out.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Yeah, the nomenclature is a bit wonky, as one wouldn't think that "main board" and "general board" would be two counterposed things.

If I may add further clarifying mud to the water, I'd say the "general WBB" board is, in effect, primarily for non-UConn threads so they don't compete for space with the UConn-centric content on the "main" board. However (more mud incoming), plenty of items of general interest do get posted, and are welcomed, on the "main" board particularly when they also impact UConn, e.g. the extra-year-of-eligibility folly announcement.

I generally (or is it mainly? :) ) make it a habit to toggle back and forth between the main forum and subforum just to make sure I'm not missing out.

Thanks for the try at clarification, which might be equivalent of trying to de-salinate the Dead Sea.

I, too, try to spend time on both sites but gauging where to put "basketball at large" stories or even stories about certain schools (ahem, like that place in northern Indiana) can be challenging. When it's in-season, I find the "general" side works pretty well, but when we're treading water, the main area has an appetite for a whole range of stories.

On that note, back to the de-salinization project.... :rolleyes: :cool:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
This board exists so that threads dedicated solely to other teams have a home. If UConn is even indirectly affected, it’s fine to post on the other board. We don’t even mind threads about other teams of general interest (for ex, coaching change, key injury, big matchup,etc) on the other board as long as the board isn’t swamped with them.

Honestly, i set this up last season as a home for the Oregon/Oregon State fans to rave over Sabrina and the PAC 12. There were actual Oregon play by play threads on the UConn board that made me crazy. The fans were just being fans and I empathized with their desire to talk about their favorite teams with a large audience but the main board is for UConn topics and UConn fans we’re getting annoyed so I made this home for the PAC 12 crew.

having said that,I think having fans of other teams post here is awesome. The UConnfans with an interest in other teams or conference have a chance to talk basketball in a sorta friendly environment. There are some boards where UConn fans aren’t treated well. Its worked out well, overall.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
This board exists so that threads dedicated solely to other teams have a home. If UConn is even indirectly affected, it’s fine to post on the other board. We don’t even mind threads about other teams of general interest (for ex, coaching change, key injury, big matchup,etc) on the other board as long as the board isn’t swamped with them.

Honestly, i set this up last season as a home father Oregon/Oregon State fans to rave over Sabrina and the PAC 12. There were actual Oregon play by play threads on the UConn board that made me crazy. The fans were just being fans and I empathized with their desire to talk about their favorite teams with a large audience but the main board is for UConn topics and UConn fans we’re getting annoyed so I made this home for the PAC 12 crew.

having said that,I think having fans of other teams post here is awesome. The UConnfans with an interest in other teams or conference have a chance to talk basketball in a sorta friendly environment. There are some boards where UConn fans aren’t treated well. Its worked out well, overall.

Thanks again, Nan. (Hey, long time - no chat...hope all is well with you and yours).
I remember your explanation and a few times dutifully would put some ND stuff on the general board to find out -- (maybe a) surprise -- it was posted on the main board! Well, being rivals will do that.... ;)

Besides being a place for "other" teams, I thought the general board was a perfect home for WNBA news and @Shades just took it and ran, much to the benefit and delight of the entire board.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom