Does This Feel Right To You? | The Boneyard

Does This Feel Right To You?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"Let’s make this clear: Connecticut is an overwhelming favorite to win a fifth straight NCAA women’s basketball championship. If you wanted to bet on it, a $10 wager would net you just $2 in profit. The rest of the field—the 344 other schools—is a 7/2 long shot." Basketball: Experts spell out exactly how and who can beat UConn women

Really? I love how this band of sisters has developed, but I don't feel there is a huge margin for error against some of the top seeds and "remember Tulane." True, those who set the odds rarely lose, but $10 bucks to make 2, I don't feel that. Got another week before FiveThirtyEight starts their run of numbers, but those are the numbers I want to see.

Reaction Score
a couple of considerations, probably, go into these ridiculous odds:
  • offering advantageous odds on others in trying to generate betting in a sport that doesn't get a lot of betting
  • group think: past as prologue, path dependency, etc.
  • an honest sense that UConn has such an enormous advantage in both play-off experience and swagger
  • UConn genuinely has 3 All-American candidates (4 if they were allowed to so nominate) and a couple of other steady players: so not dependent on a single star to carry the load.
  • Geno, Geno, Geno: he's got the whole profession bamboozled.

Reaction Score
"Let’s make this clear: Connecticut is an overwhelming favorite to win a fifth straight NCAA women’s basketball championship. If you wanted to bet on it, a $10 wager would net you just $2 in profit. The rest of the field—the 344 other schools—is a 7/2 long shot." Basketball: Experts spell out exactly h
"Let’s make this clear: Connecticut is an overwhelming favorite to win a fifth straight NCAA women’s basketball championship. If you wanted to bet on it, a $10 wager would net you just $2 in profit. The rest of the field—the 344 other schools—is a 7/2 long shot." [URL='http://www.excellesports.com/news/expert-opinion-uconn-womens-basketball/']Basketball: Experts spell out exactly how and who can beat UConn women
Really? I love how this band of sisters has developed, but I don't feel there is a huge margin for error against some of the top seeds and "remember Tulane." True, those who set the odds rarely lose, but $10 bucks to make 2, I don't feel that. Got another week before FiveThirtyEight starts their run of numbers, but those are the numbers I want to see.

ow and who can beat UConn women[/URL]

MS Lawson---gave the almost good scenario needed to beat Uconn . The most recent FLA game that team tried Kara's senario and it worked for some plays. That IS the weakness of the TEAM defense Geno uses. When someone doubles--means someone is open--and FLA got more than normal easy under the basket shots. Combine that with effective BIGs --(as Kara says) and you have formula for beating Uconn.

Also within that article--or adjunct to it--was; MULKEY APOLOGIZES FOR PUNCH EM REMARKS--
She did as I suspected--gave off handed , un rehearsed, remarks and put both feet in her mouth--speaking from the Emotions of the Moment. Stupid-- but who isn't at times?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
"Let’s make this clear: Connecticut is an overwhelming favorite to win a fifth straight NCAA women’s basketball championship. If you wanted to bet on it, a $10 wager would net you just $2 in profit. The rest of the field—the 344 other schools—is a 7/2 long shot." Basketball: Experts spell out exactly how and who can beat UConn women

Seems too high to me as well. For the uninformed that bet represents 1 to 5 odds, which is almost the equivalent of the odds of the sun coming up tomorrow.

Maybe even money at best. If I wasn't a diehard Husky fan, I'd bet the field. If any other team won, I'd make a nice little profit.... but I just can't do it.

Reaction Score
I seem to recall that last year, the odds were far worse. It was something like putting up a couple of hundred to win 10. My recollection is the odds were so amazing that it got mentioned on national TV a few times.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Technically speaking the odds are based on where the money is bet (the action). At 1 to 5, it appears that almost all the early money is being bet on the Huskies. I would anticipate that once the brackets are set, the line on UConn would increase.

Reaction Score
I would bet heavily on the field.

Not because I think we're going to lose, but because those odds are way out of line relative to our actual chances of winning the title.

Reaction Score
I seem to recall that last year, the odds were far worse. It was something like putting up a couple of hundred to win 10. My recollection is the odds were so amazing that it got mentioned on national TV a few times.
The odds I remember were something like wager $50,000 to win $100. Along the lines of betting the pilot pulling off the landing depicted.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Technically speaking the odds are based on where the money is bet (the action). At 1 to 5, it appears that almost all the early money is being bet on the Huskies. I would anticipate that once the brackets are set, the line on UConn would increase.
I would bet heavily on the field. Not because I think we're going to lose, but because those odds are way out of line relative to our actual chances of winning the title.
My WAG. Barring a major unexpected occurrence (e.g., serious injury to a star player) --When NCAA Tournament begins, we may expect something like this:
UConn, 5-1
Baylor, 8-1
ND, 10-1
Maryland, SC, Washington, 12-1
. . . and so on.​

Remember, this is just my WAG.:rolleyes: The SWAG will come out of Las Vegas.;)

Reaction Score
If Baylor and Uconn end up in the final,just that game alone would be very close to a pickem'.Kib is probably very close to what the odds should be.The oddsmakers will probably start Uconn out at 2-1 or something like that because of the name on the jersey.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom