Does the last 4 team CFP selection matter in realignment? | The Boneyard

Does the last 4 team CFP selection matter in realignment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Been hearing theories that an undefeated FSU potentially being left out today would spark immediate realignment.

But being the last edition of a 4 team playoff would make that seem irrational, no?

Then again, ALL of the top 13, sans FSU, is current or future SEC/B1G schools.

I could see that as an argument towards making a P2-centric playoff even with 12.

Reaction Score
The SEC drums are beating....with an increased angry cadence...

You can not leave out a one loss Georgia...you can not leave out an SEC champ like Alabama...BOOM, boom, boom, BOOM.

Although Bama was beaten by two scores by the Longhorns.

BUT...there are folks on the Committee who may not be SEC lovers....I expect some push back and heated discussions...

And some ESPN arm twisting...

I'd seed it for viewing...(and to hell with the SEC)..

13-0 Michigan vs 12-1 Texas
13-0 FSU vs 13-0 Washington

Reaction Score
The SEC drums are beating....with an increased angry cadence...

You can not leave out a one loss Georgia...you can not leave out an SEC champ like Alabama...BOOM, boom, boom, BOOM.

Although Bama was beaten by two scores by the Longhorns.

BUT...there are folks on the Committee who may not be SEC lovers....I expect some push back and heated discussions...

And some ESPN arm twisting...

I'd seed it for viewing...(and to hell with the SEC)..

13-0 Michigan vs 12-1 Texas
13-0 FSU vs 13-0 Washington
That's exactly how it should be with Bama 5 and Georgia 6. But I doubt it happens.

Reaction Score
I don't see how FSU stays in the ACC long term, if it can possibly afford to get out, if they're left out after going undefeated with multiple top 25 wins including over LSU and Clemson

Reaction Score
I see an alternate strategy...

Pair up Michigan-FSU

Texas-Georgia

And if FSU is blown out...well, that just illustrates the need for a P2 heavy playoff with the top P2 teams having byes.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
This isn't going to burn because there will be a (slightly) more plausible solution beginning next season (twelve team playoff).

It is however a bit ridiculous that somehow Texas clearly beating Alabama (in a stronger manner than Bama beat powerhouses Arkansas and Auburn) shouldn't count because it happened in September. The idea that the SEC has some birthright to the playoffs is asinine. The four school playoff, while clearly a better model than it's predecessors, proved to be flawed from year one. Ohio St won it all, demonstrated they were clearly the best team that year, yet was a four seed and was almost left out.

FSU (even without their QB a few less than impressive wins and a weaker conference schedule) and Washington have done everything that should be asked of a school to have the opportunity to compete for the title, Michigan (obviously) has earned a spot and in all candor, there is no unbiased argument to put any SEC school in above Texas. That said, I highly doubt the SEC will be left out.

Reaction Score
FSU heading toward Notre Dame’s relevance. What have you done for me lately?

Claimed national titles3 (1993, 1999, 2013

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Presuming this causes Florida State to ramp up their exit strategy from the ACC, could one option be to explore joining the “PAC2” entity with Washington State and Oregon State?

- Get the league to 8 teams and you can win it every year and guarantee yourself a playoff spot

- Biggest brand in the league = control all of the rule making and politics behind the scenes of league administration

- 8 teams = 5 non-conference games for them to load up on P2 games to “prove their worth” re-seeding for the CFP

- No long term commitment to staying while you fight for a SEC/B1G invite (i.e. no GOR)

- P2 doesn’t have to join the MWC- they can grab Boise and Fresno for a 4 team West Coast Pod or something similar

- Based on the fact that UConn has a linear TV deal as an independent, I have to presume any league with FSU in it can absolutely get a linear TV deal to ensure all of their games are on a channel as well (CBSSN or maybe something with Turner Sports?)

- Only way FSU is leaving to begin with without a B1G or SEC invite is if they sell off part of the AD to PE for $ so I’m not even sure how much the “loss” of TV revenue from the ACC would matter. They’ll also sue for their TV rights regardless presuming they try to leave and “buy back” their rights

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Mike Farrell:

"This is an invitation, not a selection, and that’s just what we have to live with. Florida State won every single game (including two against SEC opponents) and their Power Five conference, yet they were passed over for Texas and Alabama, teams with one loss each. Why? Money. So it’s not a selection committee anymore; it’s an invitation committee, and if you’re rich enough to join the club, then you’re in. If not, you’re screwed. This will happen with an expanded playoff, as teams will be left out of the magical 12 because they just aren’t good enough for TV eyeballs."

"The ACC clearly doesn’t have the TV deal or cache to be a prominent figure in college football anymore, so the 'Noles have to come up with the exorbitant buyout money and get the heck out. SEC, Big Ten, it doesn’t matter, but they need to get into one of those conferences like Texas and Washington to have a chance to win it all. We have seen the last ACC national title winner and it was Clemson in 2018."

Reaction Score
Mike Farrell:

"This is an invitation, not a selection, and that’s just what we have to live with. Florida State won every single game (including two against SEC opponents) and their Power Five conference, yet they were passed over for Texas and Alabama, teams with one loss each. Why? Money. So it’s not a selection committee anymore; it’s an invitation committee, and if you’re rich enough to join the club, then you’re in. If not, you’re screwed. This will happen with an expanded playoff, as teams will be left out of the magical 12 because they just aren’t good enough for TV eyeballs."

"The ACC clearly doesn’t have the TV deal or cache to be a prominent figure in college football anymore, so the 'Noles have to come up with the exorbitant buyout money and get the heck out. SEC, Big Ten, it doesn’t matter, but they need to get into one of those conferences like Texas and Washington to have a chance to win it all. We have seen the last ACC national title winner and it was Clemson in 2018."

Wait Billybud

You've been lecturing us that FSU brings eyeballs for months now

What happened?

Reaction Score
Wait Billybud

You've been lecturing us that FSU brings eyeballs for months now

What happened?

They do bring eyeballs,,,,but, the Committee could not imagine a CFP with the SEC left out....nor put two SEC teams in...Georgia and FSU were left out..

And..FSU having an injured quarterback made for a convenient out...

And it is making for wonderful drama...

I registered that your post was intended as a barb (although I answered as if legit)....Don't worry, the first 40 years of childhood are always the hardest.

Reaction Score
They do bring eyeballs,,,,but, the Committee could not imagine a CFP with the SEC left out....nor put two SEC teams in...Georgia and FSU were left out..

And..FSU having an injured quarterback made for a convenient out...

And it is making for wonderful drama...

I registered that your post was intended as a barb (although I answered as if legit)....Don't worry, the first 40 years of childhood are always the hardest.

You posted an article that said FSU wasn't good enough for eyeballs. That totally contradicts what you have littered our board with all season. I guess the club believes those ratings had more to do with prime time slots and opponents more than anything FSU brings to the table. SEC or not, it's all about the money, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom