• Yes!

Votes: 39 73.6%
  • No

Votes: 14 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Only a few more months until the beginning of the season! Mo will be starting her senior campaign and while I'm looking to take my time and enjoy every moment of her senior season, the big question at season-end is will she pass Taurasi for #1 on the career assists list?

Here are Mo's assist totals each year:
Fr. - 69
So. - 195
Jr. - 191
TOTAL - 455

She needs 193 this season to tie DT; right on par with what she was putting up the last 2 seasons. Here is the list of players with over 500 assists (not sure how accurate it is b/c it's a wiki page): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Connecticut_Huskies_women's_basketball_players_with_500_assists

Go Mo!

ap617979652312.jpg

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Only a few more months until the beginning of the season! Mo will be starting her senior campaign and while I'm looking to take my time and enjoy every moment of her senior season, the big question at season-end is will she pass Taurasi for #1 on the career assists list?

Fr. - 69
So. - 195
Jr. - 191
TOTAL - 455

She needs 193 this season to tie DT; right on par with what she was putting up the last 2 seasons. Here is the list of players with over 500 assists (not sure how accurate it is b/c it's a wiki page): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Connecticut_Huskies_women's_basketball_players_with_500_assists

Go Mo!
Wiki is usually very accurate. Studies have shown it's greater than 97% accurate. Right up there with Encyclopedia Britannica. And once again, it's accurate, as per the UCONN media guide.

Reaction Score

Fr. - 69
So. - 195
Jr. - 191
TOTAL - 455

Go Mo!

ap617979652312.jpg

Fr. - 69
So. - 195
Jr. - 191
TOTAL - 455

Go Mo!

ap617979652312.jpg
I wish, that assist per minute or total minutes played, was included in the stats. DT was amazing. To have that many assist and score the way that she did, is just amazing to me. Even at the pro level, it's extremely difficult to find a great scorer, with high assist numbers. Tiny Archibald? Maybe Oscar Robertson?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Yes. Definitely. Not surprising really. She's a great player and plays (has played) with a far greater collection of scorers. And she doesn't have to carry the team. That DT (still) has it from the two guard spot boggles my mind.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I had forgotten that Kelly was that high on the list.

I think it will be a function of how many minutes she gets. We are an extraordinarily deep team. How much do you play her in the AAC games?

HGN

Reaction Score
I voted 'No'.......Though Mo is a great player , AA , and can distribute the ball , DT was All World. Both have played with outstanding scoring teammates and have stayed relatively healthy. Neither have had to sit out long stretches with injuries which allowed them to be on the floor for assists. Mo will come close to DT's record but I don't think Geno is going to play her or many of the starters too deep in ballgames because he has such a deep bench. And he wants to develop those players. Maybe 3 or 3.5 quarters and the starters will be coming out. Unless its a very close game.

JMHO.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
My mind is made up. Don't try to confuse me with facts. Nobody surpasses Diana. :)

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
With a deeper bench, I would assume that Mo plays less minutes than last year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I voted yes - I do not see Mo's minutes being greatly impacted this year because she is the engine that runs the uconn offense. While both Kia and Chong can run point, the team functions better with Mo. And her minutes have never been that high anyway. It is easier to integrate the new players into a high function offense with Mo at the point than it is with her on the bench. I would not be surprised if she led the team in minutes at around 28.

Reaction Score
And even if they do surpass her in numbers they will never surpass her in Greatness.
True, Diana is the greatest in my eyes. She had attitude, skills, natural leadership traits and swag. She didn't mind throwing a elbow or two or getting up in an opponents face. She stuck up for her teammates. Not many UConn players do that these days. Mo, may or may not get her in assists. But Diana carried the scoring load also. Could you imagine D, playing with KML, Morgan and Breanna? Yikes!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
As is stated in this thread I started a while back:

http://the-boneyard.com/threads/a-uconn-record-mo-jefferson-could-set-in-2015-16.75910/#post-1291974

...Mo will need to average five assists per game over what would ideally be a 39-game season. That's attainable as long as everyone on the squad executes on an open shot. KML helped everyone's assist stats, so maybe KLS will do the same. However, she probably won't play those kinds of minutes with Moriah.

Overall, I vote yes...if UConn plays 39 games.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I love Mo, and I think she comes very close, but I voted no, because of the absence of Kaleena, who was one of the greatest finishers of all time. I think Moriah will have between 175 and 210 assists, but most likely about 190. If Natalie is a strong finisher in the post or Lou plays like K did her first year, that will help Moriah's assist total. This could come down to the last game or two ... and UConn will need to play as many games as possible.

In terms of the subject line, "Does Mo Jeff Pass DT?" I think Mo Jeff passes EVERYONE she races against, so why would Dee be any different? :)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I love Mo, and I think she comes very close, but I voted no, because of the absence of Kaleena, who was one of the greatest finishers of all time. I think Moriah will have between 175 and 210 assists, but most likely about 190. If Natalie is a strong finisher in the post or Lou plays like K did her first year, that will help Moriah's assist total. This could come down to the last game or two ... and UConn will need to play as many games as possible.

In terms of the subject line, "Does Mo Jeff Pass DT?" I think Mo Jeff passes EVERYONE she races against, so why would Dee be any different? :)
Interesting fact - KML shot .518 from the field last season well below the team average of .540 - for Mo's assist numbers, thank goodness she graduated!!! :cool::rolleyes::) Basically, passing the ball to KML last season was a 50-50 proposition, while most of the rest of the team was closer to a 60-40 proposition - you don't get an assist and a half for a three point shot!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Interesting fact - KML shot .518 from the field last season well below the team average of .540 - for Mo's assist numbers, thank goodness she graduated!!! :cool::rolleyes::) Basically, passing the ball to KML last season was a 50-50 proposition, while most of the rest of the team was closer to a 60-40 proposition - you don't get an assist and a half for a three point shot!
Interesting! I wonder, though, if a disproportionate number of assists were on baskets by Kaleena. Or if a disporportionate share of K's baskets came on passes. She's a great spot-up shooter, and I recall many treys were in transition from Mo.

Many of the high percentage shots were on dribble penetration, where there was no assist, or on fast breaks, where there might not have been an assist. I'd be curious about the distribution of recipients of Mo's assists. I'm thinking Stewie, Morgan, and Kaleena had the most baskets.

If you are assuming that K shot .518 after a pass and the rest of the team shot over .540 after a pass, that's a leap in logic.

In terms of comparing last year with next year, will K's replacement (the 5th starter) shoot over .518?

Maybe I should change my vote. I forgot that Napheesa will shoot .700. :)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting! I wonder, though, if a disproportionate number of assists were on baskets by Kaleena. Or if a disporportionate share of K's baskets came on passes. She's a great spot-up shooter, and I recall many treys were in transition from Mo.

Many of the high percentage shots were on dribble penetration, where there was no assist, or on fast breaks, where there might not have been an assist. I'd be curious about the distribution of recipients of Mo's assists. I'm thinking Stewie, Morgan, and Kaleena had the most baskets.

If you are assuming that K shot .518 after a pass and the rest of the team shot over .540 after a pass, that's a leap in logic.

In terms of comparing last year with next year, will K's replacement (the 5th starter) shoot over .518?

Maybe I should change my vote. I forgot that Napheesa will shoot .700. :)
All good questions, and ones I doubt anyone will actually research - but Uconn does run an inside out offense typically which meant a lot of the assists were from Tuck and Stewart passing out of the post when double teams came. My post was really tongue in check.

But I do expect Uconn to run an efficient high assist offense this coming year as they do pretty much every year. I cannot remember the last year that they were not in the top five in offense, shooting percentage, and assists.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
True, Diana is the greatest in my eyes. She had attitude, skills, natural leadership traits and swag. She didn't mind throwing a elbow or two or getting up in an opponents face. She stuck up for her teammates. Not many UConn players do that these days. Mo, may or may not get her in assists. But Diana carried the scoring load also. Could you imagine D, playing with KML, Morgan and Breanna? Yikes!

Don't really need to imagine: she did play with Sue, Tamika, and Swin. Followed by Ann/Maria, Wilnett, and BT.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Don't really need to imagine: she did play with Sue, Tamika, and Swin. Followed by Ann/Maria, Wilnett, and BT.

Ha, You take the team of Ann, Maria, Wilnett, BT and Moore. I'll take Breanna, Morgan, KML, Hartley and Dolson. I'll be happy to play for all the money in the world.

During the meat of their respective careers, Moriah will play with far more talent than DT ever did.

Last edited:

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Ha, You take the team of Ann, Maria, Wilnett, BT and Moore. I'll take Breanna, Morgan, KML, Hartley and Dolson. I'll be happy to play for all the money in the world.

During the meat of their respective careers, Moriah will play with far more talent than DT ever did.

The part of the discussion I was extending was about finishing when the ball was delivered to you in the right place. All 9 of those girls did it well.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
All good questions, and ones I doubt anyone will actually research - but Uconn does run an inside out offense typically which meant a lot of the assists were from Tuck and Stewart passing out of the post when double teams came. My post was really tongue in check.

But I do expect Uconn to run an efficient high assist offense this coming year as they do pretty much every year. I cannot remember the last year that they were not in the top five in offense, shooting percentage, and assists.
I look for a highly efficient offense and lots of assists. As noted, I think Moriah will flirt with the record. One thing that might prevent it would be Moriah shooting more. Given her percentages, that would be a good thing.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Speaking of Sue. If she hadn't been injured her FR year, Jefferson would most likely be chasing her. At her rate (almost 5 apg) Bird would have been up around the 700 mark. Easily outdistancing DT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom