Does Kelly guard Shoni Schimmel or Slaughter? | The Boneyard

Does Kelly guard Shoni Schimmel or Slaughter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Who does Kelly guard?

I don't expect Shoni to have another off night shooting. On the other hand, Slaughter has been on fire and keeps coming up big.

Reaction Score
I would put her on Slaughter, if Shoni gets hot you can switch

Reaction Score
Who does Kelly guard?

I don't expect Shoni to have another off night shooting. On the other hand, Slaughter has been on fire and keeps coming up big.

I think it depends on who else is on the floor. Though I didnt watch either Lou game closely, it seemed like against Baylor they had some success with 5 shooters on the floor -- they were able to force Griner away from the basket. If they do that again, Dolson might not have the mobility to stay on the floor, in which case you might have Stewart on Hammond and someone else on Slaughter.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Whichever one Kelly guards, Bria will harass the other. Lil' Mo may get in some licks also.

Reaction Score
The bigger question is who is Slaughter going to guard, choices are KML or Breanna, either way shes going to do a lot of running on defense , not easy to hit 3's with tired legs.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Kelly will guard Shoni, who is far more able to create her own shot than Slaughter is. Slaughter is pretty much just a catch and shoot player, not difficult to guard, imo.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Shoni and Slaughter were Louisville's leading scorers when the teams played back in January, but Slaughter was 1-7 on 3-pointers. Shoni shot 6-16 but 2-7 on 3s. Stewart did not play in that game, btw.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Shoni is a streaky shooter and very willing to take tough shots. We need to encourage her to take tough shots, not open ones.

Slaughter is hot. We need to keep an eye on her at the arc.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
The other side of the question is also interesting. The quote from the Cards' guard Hammond after the game does make you think this might not be simple matching up exercise:

"We went into zone and then we'd wait three passes and go into man," Hammond said. "I think that kind of got them flustered and thinking, 'Well, I thought they were in zone.' And then we started switching screens the last couple of minutes, and their guards couldn't get off clear shots."

UConn will be ready for defense switches.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Why do I think they will have a harder time guarding us than vice versa.

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
My money is that Faris guards Shoni. She is what makes the team go. You can put someone else on Slaughter and make sure she doesn't get the ball... but Shoni is more dangerous with the ball in her hand and you have to put your best defender on her.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I think it depends on who else is on the floor. Though I didnt watch either Lou game closely, it seemed like against Baylor they had some success with 5 shooters on the floor -- they were able to force Griner away from the basket. If they do that again, Dolson might not have the mobility to stay on the floor, in which case you might have Stewart on Hammond and someone else on Slaughter.
Faris on Shonni or MoJeff, and Breanna on Slaughter using her reach to alter Slaughter's 3s.

Reaction Score
Faris on Shonni or MoJeff and Breanna on Slaughter using her reach to alter Slaughter's 3s.

MoJeff on Slaughter? MoJeff is 6 inches shorter than her. I don't see that.
Did you mean MoTuck?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
No, Breanna on Slaughter. MoJeff sharing time with Kelly and Bria on Shonni and Jude.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Kelly will guard Shoni, who is far more able to create her own shot than Slaughter is. Slaughter is pretty much just a catch and shoot player, not difficult to guard, imo.

I understand what you are saying, but I've been asking everyone I meet why no one seems to guard Slaughter. She may not be able to create, but she has had a ton of open shots, and I don't get why. It's not like the scouting report thinks she can't hit them.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I understand what you are saying, but I've been asking everyone I meet why no one seems to guard Slaughter. She may not be able to create, but she has had a ton of open shots, and I don't get why. It's not like the scouting report thinks she can't hit them.

Geno said the same thing during today's press conference: "she's always wide open." He also said that if she makes those 3 with a hand in her face (translated: UConn won't be leaving her wide open), "then God bless her."

Reaction Score

I dunno, before the Baylor game I think she was <30% from 3? I guess Cal should've prepared for it, but not sure about anyone else.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I dunno, before the Baylor game I think she was <30% from 3? I guess Cal should've prepared for it, but not sure about anyone else.
I think that was before the tournament overall.

Reaction Score
Looks like she was 33% before the Baylor game. She was then 7-9 (Bay) and 1-6 (Tn). Would you game plan for her?

Then she was 6-10 vs Cal.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Looks like she was 33% before the Baylor game. She was then 7-9 (Bay) and 1-6 (Tn). Would you game plan for her?

Then she was 6-10 vs Cal.

I'm not sure what it means to "game plan" for a player, but part of your defensive game plan has to be to guard her which is something Cal failed to do on four of her six 3-pointers. The kid basically hangs out beyond the 3-point line. She was wide open because of confusion (Cal defenders were confused on defensive assignments) and also wide open because a defender basically stopped guarding her and drifted in to the paint (for no apparent reason). On two of her 3-pointers, she was guarded but not closely as I think the defenders thought she was too far beyond the arc to shoot. She wasn't and nailed them. She'll shoot from any distance.

As Geno said in the press conference, she'll have to make shots with a hand in her face.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
33% three point shooting is worth the same as 50% for twos which is excellent.

I'm not arguing for a junk defense, or even targeting her with your best defended, all I'm saying is defend her. She was taking uncontested shots. I can hit 3's if I'm uncontested.

Reaction Score
As the SI article pointed out Slaughter is a guard at 6-1, and other teams have a post player guarding her. Breanna is comfortable out there as shown with her double team at mid-court, and steal for a fast-break layup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom