Does Hamilton do more when he does less? | The Boneyard

Does Hamilton do more when he does less?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not meant to be a riddle or enigma wrapped in a conundrum. Just a thought.

In the first couple of minutes last night DHam tried to force the pace and picked up two TOs in three possessions. Ollie pulled him. His play calmed down and he played his usual stat stuffing self with 9 assists, 8 boards, but only 4 points. But here's the thing, he only took 5 shots and made 2. Not bad.

So, he affected the game but with minimal point total. He only had two more TOs the rest of the game. He really let this game come to him. So how do he balance the need to be aggressive and the need to play within himself?

He has the offensive skills to be a prolific scorer. Right now he is a volume scorer rather than an efficient one. I think he can do a little more by doing a little less. He will need on occasion to force the action. He can almost always find a shot in the lane. Sometimes it is a well contested shot. Yet often he can still make that shot. It's picking and choosing when to attack that will make him and even better player.

I sometimes forget that he's still a sophomore but these days that doesn't seem to matter. So how do you lke your Hamilton. Forcing the action? Or a little more passive?

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
aq6xp.gif

Reaction Score

In the first couple of minutes last night DHam tried to force the pace and picked up two TOs in three possessions. Ollie pulled him. His play calmed down and he played his usual stat stuffing self with 9 assists, 8 boards, but only 4 points. But here's the thing, he only took 5 shots and made 2. Not bad.

So, he affected the game but with minimal point total. He only had two more TOs the rest of the game. He really let this game come to him. So how do he balance the need to be aggressive and the need to play within himself?

He has the offensive skills to be a prolific scorer. Right now he is a volume scorer rather than an efficient one. I think he can do a little more by doing a little less. He will need on occasion to force the action. He can almost always find a shot in the lane. Sometimes it is a well contested shot. Yet often he can still make that shot. It's picking and choosing when to attack that will make him and even better player.

I sometimes forget that he's still a sophomore but these days that doesn't seem to matter. So how do you lke your Hamilton. Forcing the action? Or a little more passive?

I like to think of Hamilton like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!

Reaction Score
I think it's less about being aggressive or passive and more about shot selection and decision making. His 4 turnovers last night are still ugly. He had 9 assists but still only had a 98 ORtg because of them.

Hamilton shys away from contact so he never gets to the line, and he instead just makes his shots low percentage attempts. He's a willing passer, but his instincts and handle still have a long way to go.

Reaction Score
In our first loss to Cincy, Hamilton shot 2/11 and had 5 pts with 8 rebounds and 8 assists. In Saturdays loss at Cincy, he was also 2/11 with 5 pts, 8 rebounds, and 5 assists. When we lost to Temple at the XL, he was 2/13 with 6 pts, 9 rebounds, and 2 assists. Im not blaming him for those losses, but I think it shows how important Daniel Hamilton is to this team.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
In our first loss to Cincy, Hamilton shot 2/11 and had 5 pts with 8 rebounds and 8 assists. In Saturdays loss at Cincy, he was also 2/11 with 5 pts, 8 rebounds, and 5 assists. When we lost to Temple at the XL, he was 2/13 with 6 pts, 9 rebounds, and 2 assists. Im not blaming him for those losses, but I think it shows how important Daniel Hamilton is to this team.
Or how important it is for him not to shoot 10 times when nothing is falling. It's one thing if Rashad Anderson's 3s aren't falling and he keeps shooting, but if you're a 39% FG guy to begin with... please stop chucking up shots.

Reaction Score
I like to think of Hamilton like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!
Is this from a movie? If not it's inspired.

Reaction Score

On the first part, how does he have the skills to be a prolific scorer? There seem to be more and more threads talking about Hamilton being a good shooter/scorer. He's a career sub 40% shooter and low 30s 3point shooter. That's not a shooter. As stated, his average handle, unwillingness to create contact, and inconsistent decision making do not enable him to finish or create shots for himself. So he's not a scorer. I thought he'd evolve into a 16-17/night guy. Other than perhaps passing, he really hasn't improved at all offensively.

On the second point, less is more with DHam. It's not just the shooting component, at times he absolutely dominates the ball and 4 guys watch him pump fake, jab step, go behind the back, spin, pick up his dribble, play on his pivot foot, etc in a 5-10 second process of total ballstopping. We are a better team if he is getting the ball and making a quick decision/move.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Kid is in a sophomore slump/funk! He's a much better scorer than he's demonstrated in quite a while. KO is letting him play through it. IMO his ability to break out of this slump is a key to how far this team goes, second only to JA's development.

I was happy to see him stick with his player on defense and still get defensive rebounds. It remains to be seen if he can do this against better teams. This is an example of why just looking at box scores is insufficient. In the recent losses there were quite a few threes made by DHam's player during those end of game runs. I love his willingness to fight for defensive boards. But not at the expense of leaving his player wide open.

Reaction Score
@Palatine Why is your avatar the logo of the 2009 final four?
I just thought that the 2009 team doesn't get enough recognition. For some schools just making the final four is an amazing accomplishment. But because we won the NC every other time we made the final four, the 2009 team gets a little lost. I change my avatar from time to time. A final four banner is nothing to sneeze about. So, it's a tiny tribute.

Hell, I graduated in 1975. If we had a final four banner to hang in the field house, we would have kneed and prayed before it. If someone suggested back then that we would ever have had a final four banner...that would get hauled away to Norwich.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I just thought that the 2009 team doesn't get enough recognition. For some schools just making the final four is an amazing accomplishment. But because we won the NC every other time we made the final four, the 2009 team gets a little lost. I change my avatar from time to time. A final four banner is nothing to sneeze about. So, it's a tiny tribute.
I loved that 2009 team. Incredibly athletic - Stilts, baby Kemba, Dyson - tough - Adrien - skilled - AJ - and with the greatest college shot blocker I've ever seen - Thabeet. It's my all-time "if/only" team -- if Dyson doesn't get hurt ...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It's not just what Hamilton does, it's where on the court and when in the offensive sets he does his work.

I've said in a few different threads that Gibbs and Hamilton gain the most from Adams playing well.

Hamilton is much more effective working from the wing than he is from the top of the key.

Reaction Score

They're also the last "vintage" UConn team that steamrolled through the regular season and was Top 5 wire to wire. They should be celebrated.

Hopefully we can get back to that level in the next 2 years.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

Hell, I graduated in 1975. If we had a final four banner to hang in the field house, we would have kneed and prayed before it. If someone suggested back then that we would ever have had a final four banner...that would get hauled away to Norwich.

I think that team should be recognized and appreciated.

I still think if Dyson didn't get injured we would have won that FF, or at the very least we would have beaten Sparty to a bloody pulp. Also, I've never experienced a fanbase with more total d-bags than were present in the MSU crowd that day. I've always chalked it up to the horrific state of the Detroit economy in those days, but that's no excuse for the way some of them acted at that game.

I also graduated in '75. We didn't know what a Final Four banner was. We were lucky if we could figure out a way to beat Holy Cross, who we played home and away in those years, even though we were never in any conference with them. Weird.

Reaction Score
When the rest of the team doesn't struggle for baskets, it opens up the options for everyone.

Reaction Score
I would re-title this thread - Does Hamilton do more when he shoots less.

On the plus side: assists and rebounds Negative: turnovers

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
As Dirty Harry would say, "A man has to know his limitations."
Purvis, DHam and Gibbs have not understood their limitations all season.
Most of this teams's losses can blamed on this.
This last game Purvis seems to have made the adjustment and played a great game.
Gibbs is still venturing into the lane.
DHams biggest flaw is not giving up on a play and forcing a bad pass or shot instead of kicking it back out. He over estimates his abilities.

Reaction Score
DHam makes a move, it's an improvement when he spends less time with all the fakes/contortion nonsense, but then he gets into the lane and he is looking to pass. He needs to look to shoot when he first gets open and pull the trigger with confidence. He can still pass but he gives up open shot looks all the time. I know he hasn't shot well but I think it is because he hasn't been committed to being a go to scorer. Simplify his game and it will up his makes I think.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
As long as he ain't Denham Brown against Mason in a few weeks. Though my bet it is Omar Fukkin Calhoun taking the final shot in a nail bighter

Reaction Score
Hamilton is not built to be THE guy, he's built to be a Draymond Green type of dynamic 2nd guy that has unbelievable synergy with a guy like Kemba or Bazz. If he somehow, improbably stayed 4 years, him and JA would be one of the absolute best 1-2 combos this program has ever seen.

Reaction Score
I think that team should be recognized and appreciated.

I still think if Dyson didn't get injured we would have won that FF, or at the very least we would have beaten Sparty to a bloody pulp. Also, I've never experienced a fanbase with more total d-bags than were present in the MSU crowd that day. I've always chalked it up to the horrific state of the Detroit economy in those days, but that's no excuse for the way some of them acted at that game.

I also graduated in '75. We didn't know what a Final Four banner was. We were lucky if we could figure out a way to beat Holy Cross, who we played home and away in those years, even though we were never in any conference with them. Weird.

I'm younger than you so who knows if this factors into my take, but I think the 09 team with Dyson easily beats MSU and almost definitely loses a 4-6 point game to that UNC team. Both of Roy's title teams were absolutely STACKED as far as college game goes, and I think only the 04 or 99 team beats either of those UNC teams.

Reaction Score
As long as he ain't Denham Brown against Mason in a few weeks. Though my bet it is Omar Fukkin Calhoun taking the final shot in a nail bighter

This team is already very fundamentally flawed. Outside of Purvis or Gibbs chucking an insane 31 foot shot, I wouldn't begrudge anything else that happened.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

No way I would have already hauled it to Norwalk (Class of '73)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom