Does Gabby play point guard? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Does Gabby play point guard?

CoachBill

Wise Eye
Reaction Score
I think Gabby leading the team in assist is more a case or not having someone like Moriah on the team or a more seasoned Crystal. Man, can't wait to see Crystal in a few years. She has good court vision along with a real knack for passing. She's going to be special...

Crystal definitely can be / likely will be a Special PG (including as a Playmaker)

but Recognition = Gabby has had many PG / Guard caliber Assists

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think Gabby's best position in the WNBA will be as a point guard. She doesn't shoot well enough to be an SG, and I don't think she'll be able to play in the paint against the Tinas and Kiahs of the WNBA. The PG position doesn't put too much stress on her ability to hit jump shots, and it gives her a chance to do everything else that she does well.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
I think Gabby's best position in the WNBA will be...

...whatever the GM and coach want it to be...she comes from Geno's stock which means:
-she is ready to play immediately
-she has a high Basketball IQ
-she is team oriented
-she is strong and physically capable of being in the league

If I was a GM I'd grab her first chance I get in the draft. Doesn't matter which position I need filled I'm happy knowing Gabby would be able to do her thing. Geno has prepared her for it.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Gabby is my favorite player on a team of favorite players!
It is truly amazing to watch her play, as the only thing bigger than her athletic ability is her competitor's heart!
Considering Gabby's attitude, energy, and play, she is moving up my list of favorites too. She is certainly one of my favorites to watch as well.

Last edited:

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score
Wherever Gabby goes in the WNBA I will go see her play as often as I can.
Indianapolis and Chicago are pretty close to where I am, so kind of hoping for
one of them.
But for now I will enjoy her playing for the Huskies for approx another season and a half!
Perhaps next year she can alley-oop it to herself for... THE SLAM!!
Shoot the 3... miss it...rebound... SLAM AGAIN!!
Maybe a wee bit of exaggeration, but I don't put anything past her.
So much fun to watch play the game of basketball.

Reaction Score
Gabby's play cannot be described as a position, She is unique, the trump card.
I agree. So why, I ask of the other posters, ask her to change positions yet again? If it ain't broke....

Reaction Score
Pretty sure I wasn't comparing versatility of the players or perimeter skills... I specifically said high post and low post. Gabby is filling the same rolls that Dolson did in half court sets... hi post/low post. Dolson had 135 assist her senior year... everyone here talked about how the offense ran thru Dolson during her junior and senior year. No one considered her a point guard.

Let me put it another way. Non-point guards in UConns system have accumulated a lot of assist. For example Dolson, had 135 her senior year. A lot of assist in UConn's system doesn't mean you're a point guard.

Agreed. Gabby has a lot of work to do before being close to a true point guard. Her handle and especially her outside shot needs a lot of work. I think Lou at 6'3" and who has a better handle, deadly outside and can pass as good as anyone would be a more intriguing question. Gabby at the 3 would be ideal.

Reaction Score
I agree. So why, I ask of the other posters, ask her to change positions yet again? If it ain't broke....
1) Z & Touly
2) She's 5'11". Let her prep realistically for WNBA success, while being a major contributor in a killer lineup in her senior year

Love this starting lineup:
1- Gabby
2- Kia
3- KLS
4-5- Pheesa
4-5- Z

Bench:
1- Crystal Dangerfield
2- Combs
3- MW
4- Touly
5- NB (Kyla if Butler leaves)