Does Gabby play point guard? | The Boneyard

Does Gabby play point guard?

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
From Jim Fuller UConn overcomes ugly opening quarter to win 95th straight
"Another 20 games in stat of note, Williams has 107 assists and the only players in UConn to have more in the first 20 games are Sue Bird (134 in the 2001-02 season), Jen Rizzotti (129 in the 1995-96 campaign) and Renee Montgomery (109 in '08-09)."

And
UConn's sophomores Collier, Samuelson continue to shine
"I also have Gabby Williams joining Sue Bird, Jen Rizzotti, Renee Montgomery, Diana Taurasi and Moriah Jefferson as the only UConn players with 100 assists through 20 games"

Is Gabby a point guard? No, not really. But there is no doubt she has picked up, in a way, some of the most important responsibilities of a PG and that would be to dish out assists.

I had to sit back a moment and take this into perspective. Sue Bird. Renee Montgomery. Jen Rizzotti. Moriah Jefferson. These ladies you expect to be on this short list.

Gabby has worked her way to deserve a mention among these women. Game in and game out she continues to consistently brings skill, control, and brains to every aspect of basketball. Mind you, this is a player that has a tooth knocked out of whack (she consequently received a "splint" from the dentist) from a no call jab to her face...and then laughs about it. It is quite a show, just as they all are saying.

So come on down, folks, and get a look.
This one isn't in town too much longer.

Reaction Score
She is a tremendous, hybrid, jack of all trades player at present.

I can't see her as a "point guard" next year, Crystal should grow in that role quite nicely. I say, why mess with success? She's a multi role player, at times essentially a point forward, dishing out assists, then rebounding with the bigs (over the bigs too!), a super talented ballhawk racking up the steals, and a driving force to the basket with either hand for layups as she skies above everyone. And she also manages to block shots down in the paint. What a player she is out there, I think she's suited perfectly for this team and Geno's style.

She's a big reason, along with our other wonderful players, why there's a big fat "ZERO" in the loss column right now. :D

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
She is a tremendous, hybrid, jack of all trades player at present.

Exactly. And this is the reason why I have always regarded Ashley Battle as my favorite Husky over the years (it helps I was in her graduating class and watched her play in person over 4 years).

I can remember when Gabby was a recruit on our list of prospects. I remember when she signed her national letter of intent and saying to myself, "Really? We just knabbed a player with knee injuries who probably can't jump anymore? Oh boy, at least we have that Canadian girl... (love that Kia Nurse!)

I am so glad I was wrong about her. I love you Ashley Battle but Gabby is the *. So get a big whiff

Reaction Score
She is taking a beating but puts it all on the line every game. They have a lot of talent in the starters but I see her as the ultimate symbol of their success. I hope someone buys her a nice implant if she loses that tooth. They are very expensive and rarely covered by insurance. But those cheap bridges are awful.

Reaction Score
So if Gabby can move to guard next season, is it Z or Crystal Dangerfield that is the starter?

Reaction Score
So if Gabby can move to guard next season, is it Z or Crystal Dangerfield that is the starter?

Offensively in half court sets I'd have her do what she is doing. Defensively she starts off guarding the best guard but ofc we me be switching a lot again - I guess that depends on Az. So I say Az, Collier, Lou, Gabby and Nurse. All five players can defend, Gabby in halfcourt offense plays like she is playing now. No need to reinvent her. She's a beast.

CoachBill

Wise Eye
Reaction Score
Gabby as a Point Guard (next year )

I have actually had this Vision for approximately a month
(prior to then I had conviction that Crystal would be a starter next year)

since that time... I have a strong belief that with her work ethic an off season fully committed to advanced ballhandling work (and extending her Shooting Range)... that Gabby could be given the opportunity to start the season as a potential PG. With the overall growth she has made to this point... I would tend to give her the benefit of the doubt to pull it off
She is already displaying a distinguishable passing appetite and acumen. Certainly we already know she is capable of Defending Point Guards, either backcourt spot)

I think as early as this off season, Geno will come to the Vision / conclusion that he simply has to at least start the year with this year's " Core Four" ( KLS, Napheesa, Nurse, Gabby ) and AZURA starting .. and see how that works.
Already..and certainly by end of this year, he will have to much Trust, Chemistry and Production in bank with the "Core Four ". And I just simply cannot see a scenario where a #1 wnba draft pick caliber player / dynamic talent like Azura Stevens (at 6'5" / 6'6" ) is not day 1 starter . Including what her size / length will bring to Defensive end, Rebounding to compliment those other four.

and while Kia Nurse is capable providing time as a Lead Guard / Ball advancer (which is what she & Saniya basically are currently as starting backcourt) ,,, I believe Geno already knows that Kia is at her best playing Off the ball and free of PG responsibilities. The less thinking, decision making ..the better for her.
and again.. Gabby's open court & off dribble penetration Passing acumen has been distinguishable this season. so certainly with additional work on he handle she could do well in a PG role in the uptempo possessions (minimal)

Imagine the Size / length and athleticism that 5 would provide Defensively and on Boards ... and in Geno's continuity, motion Halfcourt Sets, think of matchup issues for opponents with any of those 5 playing through the lane (cuts, back picks) or Posting up ! can U envision any backcourt defender trying to deal with Gabby in those scenarios

come off he bench with Dangerfield, Coombs, Walker, Gordon, Camara

Reaction Score
Gabby is the *. So get a big whiff

That's just...wrong...in every way imaginable.

blargh.jpg

Reaction Score
From Jim Fuller UConn overcomes ugly opening quarter to win 95th straight
"Another 20 games in stat of note, Williams has 107 assists and the only players in UConn to have more in the first 20 games are Sue Bird (134 in the 2001-02 season), Jen Rizzotti (129 in the 1995-96 campaign) and Renee Montgomery (109 in '08-09)."

And
UConn's sophomores Collier, Samuelson continue to shine
"I also have Gabby Williams joining Sue Bird, Jen Rizzotti, Renee Montgomery, Diana Taurasi and Moriah Jefferson as the only UConn players with 100 assists through 20 games"

Is Gabby a point guard? No, not really. But there is no doubt she has picked up, in a way, some of the most important responsibilities of a PG and that would be to dish out assists.

I had to sit back a moment and take this into perspective. Sue Bird. Renee Montgomery. Jen Rizzotti. Moriah Jefferson. These ladies you expect to be on this short list.

Gabby has worked her way to deserve a mention among these women. Game in and game out she continues to consistently brings skill, control, and brains to every aspect of basketball. Mind you, this is a player that has a tooth knocked out of whack (she consequently received a "splint" from the dentist) from a no call jab to her face...and then laughs about it. It is quite a show, just as they all are saying.

So come on down, folks, and get a look.
This one isn't in town too much longer.
Gabby's play cannot be described as a position, She is unique, the trump card.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
For out Stats experts: How many of Gabby's 107 assists resulted in a basket made by Napheesa?

Reaction Score

(prior to then I had conviction that Crystal would be a starter next year)

since that time... I have a strong belief that with her work ethic an off season fully committed to advanced ballhandling work (and extending her Shooting Range)... that Gabby could be given the opportunity to start the season as a potential PG. With the overall growth she has made to this point... I would tend to give her the benefit of the doubt to pull it off
She is already displaying a distinguishable passing appetite and acumen. Certainly we already know she is capable of Defending Point Guards, either backcourt spot)

I think as early as this off season, Geno will come to the Vision / conclusion that he simply has to at least start the year with this year's " Core Four" ( KLS, Napheesa, Nurse, Gabby ) and AZURA starting .. and see how that works.
Already..and certainly by end of this year, he will have to much Trust, Chemistry and Production in bank with the "Core Four ". And I just simply cannot see a scenario where a #1 wnba draft pick caliber player / dynamic talent like Azura Stevens (at 6'5" / 6'6" ) is not day 1 starter . Including what her size / length will bring to Defensive end, Rebounding to compliment those other four.

and while Kia Nurse is capable providing time as a Lead Guard / Ball advancer (which is what she & Saniya basically are currently as starting backcourt) ,,, I believe Geno already knows that Kia is at her best playing Off the ball and free of PG responsibilities. The less thinking, decision making ..the better for her.
and again.. Gabby's open court & off dribble penetration Passing acumen has been distinguishable this season. so certainly with additional work on he handle she could do well in a PG role in the uptempo possessions (minimal)

Imagine the Size / length and athleticism that 5 would provide Defensively and on Boards ... and in Geno's continuity, motion Halfcourt Sets, think of matchup issues for opponents with any of those 5 playing through the lane (cuts, back picks) or Posting up ! can U envision any backcourt defender trying to deal with Gabby in those scenarios

I don't agree having Gabby at the pg.

1-- She doesn't shoot well from the outside. Thus opposing team would zone and play off of her.

2-- She is a tremendous offensive rebounder. Why take that away? She is a mismatch as a pf. How much of a mismatch is she if you have her play 20 feet from the basket?

3-- Kia Nurse plays better off the ball but she is also doing fine running the offense.

IMO it's better for the team for Kia to play the pg and have Gabby continue to utilize her offensive strengths doing exactly what she is doing. She is a better version of Draymond Green.

Reaction Score
Kia will run the point next season and Lou will assume more of Saniya's role. She is a good ball handler and actually played point for one of the USA basketball teams she was on. Azura will start along with Pheesa and all five will be quick enough to switch on every opponent defensively. Defense will dictate playing time and the offense will work just fine with these five. Crystal will need another season to take over the leadership of this team as the point.

Reaction Score
Gabby is not a point guard. Dolson had multiple 100+ assist seasons, no one every thought of her as a point guard. Gabby is getting a lot of her assist in the same way Dolson did... passing out of the high post or low post.

I get your point, but Dolson isn't really the right comparison. Stef never came close to leading the team in assists. Stef wasn't grabbing a rebound pushing the ball on the dribble. Stef wasn't blowing by a defender off the dribble and then delivering the pass as the defense collapsed. Kelly Faris and Maya Moore are much closer to what Gabby does, actually leading the team in assists without playing point guard because of their ability to make great passes in transition and anticipate action from the high-post position that is the center of the UConn half-court offense. Three rare players whose athleticism and energy also translated into dynamic passing ability.

Reaction Score

(prior to then I had conviction that Crystal would be a starter next year).....

I like it!! (Point guard school this summer!)

CoachBill

Wise Eye
Reaction Score
Gabby is not a point guard. Dolson had multiple 100+ assist seasons, no one every thought of her as a point guard. Gabby is getting a lot of her assist in the same way Dolson did... passing out of the high post or low post.

simply cannot be serious comparing the versatility capacity and perim skills of Gabby to Dolson

Wow

CoachBill

Wise Eye
Reaction Score
Kia will run the point next season and Lou will assume more of Saniya's role. She is a good ball handler and actually played point for one of the USA basketball teams she was on. Azura will start along with Pheesa and all five will be quick enough to switch on every opponent defensively. Defense will dictate playing time and the offense will work just fine with these five. Crystal will need another season to take over the leadership of this team as the point.

Sir... i am extremly confident that KLS will Not have that (combo guard / PG ) role next year .
she will stay at SF , which is perfect for her. (both ends)
She has clearly established herself as one of the Elite shooters / scorers in WBB . Geno is the G.O.A.T. he will leave KLS as she is

Reaction Score
simply cannot be serious comparing the versatility capacity and perim skills of Gabby to Dolson

Wow

Pretty sure I wasn't comparing versatility of the players or perimeter skills... I specifically said high post and low post. Gabby is filling the same rolls that Dolson did in half court sets... hi post/low post. Dolson had 135 assist her senior year... everyone here talked about how the offense ran thru Dolson during her junior and senior year. No one considered her a point guard.

Let me put it another way. Non-point guards in UConns system have accumulated a lot of assist. For example Dolson, had 135 her senior year. A lot of assist in UConn's system doesn't mean you're a point guard.

CoachBill

Wise Eye
Reaction Score
I don't agree having Gabby at the pg.

1-- She doesn't shoot well from the outside. Thus opposing team would zone and play off of her.

2-- She is a tremendous offensive rebounder. Why take that away? She is a mismatch as a pf. How much of a mismatch is she if you have her play 20 feet from the basket?

3-- Kia Nurse plays better off the ball but she is also doing fine running the offense.

IMO it's better for the team for Kia to play the pg and have Gabby continue to utilize her offensive strengths doing exactly what she is doing. She is a better version of Draymond Green.

1 - Gabby was an awful FT shooter and had a bad High post shot as a freshman. She improved both of those signifcantly in 1 offseason (Soph year was Good at both)
She currently has a respectable High post shot. I for one would not bet against her extending that to the Arc by next yr (off-season focus )

2 - where has it ever been written that a PG / backcourt player cannot Offensive rebound ??
might want to watch Lauren Works (creighton) as one current example

3 - point made... Kia plays better (and thinks more freely) OFF the ball. AND she is only being utilized in that role currently due to the emrgency situation of Crystal being out (no other realistic option)

Reaction Score
I get your point, but Dolson isn't really the right comparison. Stef never came close to leading the team in assists. Stef wasn't grabbing a rebound pushing the ball on the dribble. Stef wasn't blowing by a defender off the dribble and then delivering the pass as the defense collapsed. Kelly Faris and Maya Moore are much closer to what Gabby does, actually leading the team in assists without playing point guard because of their ability to make great passes in transition and anticipate action from the high-post position that is the center of the UConn half-court offense. Three rare players whose athleticism and energy also translated into dynamic passing ability.

I think Gabby leading the team in assist is more a case or not having someone like Moriah or a more seasoned Crystal on the team. Man, can't wait to see Crystal in a few years. She has good court vision along with a real knack for passing. She's going to be special...

CoachBill

Wise Eye
Reaction Score
Pretty sure I wasn't comparing versatility of the players or perimeter skills... I specifically said high post and low post. Gabby is filling the same rolls that Dolson did in half court sets... hi post/low post. Dolson had 135 assist her senior year... everyone here talked about how the offense ran thru Dolson during her junior and senior year. No one considered her a point guard.

Let me put it another way. Non-point guards in UConns system have accumulated a lot of assist. For example Dolson, had 135 her senior year. A lot of assist in UConn's system doesn't mean you're a point guard.

really ??

you sure you have watched Gabby in Transition, Open court OR off perimeter / high bpost penetration... with ballhandling and passing. its simply Not even a conversation (comparing to Dolson , or any true post player who gets primarily stationary passing Assists)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom