Does Dangerfield Start Tomorrow vs. LSU? | The Boneyard

Does Dangerfield Start Tomorrow vs. LSU?

Does Dangerfield start tomorrow vs. LSU?

• Yes

Votes: 19 13.9%
  • No

Votes: 118 86.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I say, "Yes." It's gonna happen anyway, so just go ahead and get it over with and let's get on with everyone (not just Crystal) learning their new roles. We have big games to play - soon!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Dangerfield is the...

off the bench! Change of pace, watch and observe while getting some lessons from the coaches

Reaction Score
Can't crush Saniya. j66 is probably right, but her head is a consideration. We need her head in the game all year. I suspect the Baylor game told Saniya what is coming, but we will see what we see. A game is just one game.
Saniya Chong shall start--has Crystal Dangerfield earned it??? That's for Geno. I say she is great, she is talented, she has icey veins, plays at a high level. But at this point--I think from Rocky's view point of consider Ms Chongs feeling--and a team chemistry--Crystal will do the team a service coming off the bench--in late Dec or Jan--if she plays up to the Baylor game--she cannot then be denied. \

Reaction Score
I'm with everyone: sympathy for Saniya, caution about working in the freshman too soon. And I certainly don't know when she will start, though I'm confident it will be before conference play.

Because: Thursday night, it wasn't the 19 points in an incredibly pressure-packed game
It was:
1. The tremendous other productivity (assists, rebounds, steals)
2. The fantastic leadership: she was ordering veterans around and really running the offense

So, it's not a question of "a spark off the bench" the way Gabby was the previous two years. Given the players available this year, the fact is that the team plays better when she's on the court. Why would you want to have the team play less than optimally?

Reaction Score
How come no one considered poor Heather Buck's feelings during her senior season when she was not named an automatic starter simply because of how long she had been at UConn?
Chong worked so hard she earns the respect. Buck may work hard but lack of luck....LOL

Reaction Score
A wrinkle you may see Geno use is to start Natalie for about 4 minutes and then bring Gabby in. She (Gabby) can not continue getting early fouls. Most likely won't happen, but it would not shock me. Gotta change her mojo up!

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Some people on here have really short memories...did you not see the Florida State game? Chong was arguably the best player on the court that night.

Dangerfield had an okay showing against FSU and an outstanding game against Baylor. Everyone will likely end up disappointed if they expect Crystal to play at that level every night. She's a freshman who will likely have some up and down games over the course of the year, like virtually every other freshman who has played at UCONN not named Maya Moore.

Chong is a very solid player and I expect we will see her as a starter all season and she'll be a nice contributor. Dangerfield will be the spark off the bench, and if she is hot like she was against Baylor, she'll log most of the minutes during game action.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
A wrinkle you may see Geno use is to start Natalie for about 4 minutes and then bring Gabby in. She (Gabby) can not continue getting early fouls. Most likely won't happen, but it would not shock me. Gotta change her mojo up!
Also you may see more minutes for Kayla against LSU. One thing this team cannot afford is injury, and as hard and as fiercely as these young ladies play everyone on a short bench needs to be involved.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Sinaya starts until further notice.

Crystal has had one very good game. We are going to need to see more of this - consistancy. Come January she may be a starter but I don't think Geno or the staff know yet. I like Crystal coming off the bench a giving a charge to the game.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As a long time UConn WBB fan and frequent seeker of wit & wisdom from the BY, I felt it was time to join the fun and start posting.

IMHO, it is a moot point whether Saniya or Danger start at PG vs LSU. Danger will play the majority of minutes and will be on the floor when the game is on the line because she makes everyone on the floor better.

In another thread there was much speculation that when UConn went on their 16-2 run in the 4th qtr, it was because Baylor was out of gas. I don't think that was the case, since Mulkey was constantly running in subs off the bench. UConn went on their run once Danger started running the show. Baylor had no answers for Danger. It opened up the court for Lou to spot up for 3's and Gabby and Collier to find space down low to operate.

One final point. Danger will be the best thing that happens to Kia who, during the 1st 2 games, has accepted the enormous responsibility of running the offense at PG, finding more opportunities to score and being a defensive stopper. There were even a few instances when UConn played zone that I observed Kia physically moving other defenders into their proper position on the floor. Danger will allow Kia to simply do what she does best, "play hard!"

I could not help but see Geno's barely concealed joy after the Baylor game, like a kid on Christmas that just found out he has a brand new toy.....like a new Ferrari.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Saniya will start, but eventually she will come in for Kia. Saniya isn't a point guard, she is a shooting guard, but her and Kia are running point, until Crystal can get up to par, and take the reign. Saniya know that she will be coming in off the bench for Kia, so it will not be a surprise to her. Saniya will still be playing, she just won't be starting.

Reaction Score
Sinaya starts until further notice.

Crystal has had one very good game. We are going to need to see more of this - consistancy. Come January she may be a starter but I don't think Geno or the staff know yet. I like Crystal coming off the bench a giving a charge to the game.
It wasn't just Crystal's stat line that was impressive. Maybe it's just me, but I thought the team executed much better on offense when Crystal was in the game. When she's not in the game the offense seemed to lack purpose: bad passes, turnovers, jacking up shots early in the clock or just taking poor shots. I don't see why you don't let her make this team hers right now and let her have her growing pains. Either way she's going to be our PG at some point and the sooner she gets comfortable with her new teammates the better off the team will be this year and beyond. I like Saniya too but she is what she is. This is her fourth year on the team and she's not going to suddenly morph into an AA, and she certainly isn't going to be able to help after this season. Let Crystal start, keep Kia at the 2 where she has the most experience within the UConn system, and Saniya can continue to come off the bench to spell the guards as needed as she has done for the past three seasons.

Reaction Score
I'm with everyone: sympathy for Saniya, caution about working in the freshman too soon. And I certainly don't know when she will start, though I'm confident it will be before conference play.

Because: Thursday night, it wasn't the 19 points in an incredibly pressure-packed game
It was:
1. The tremendous other productivity (assists, rebounds, steals)
2. The fantastic leadership: she was ordering veterans around and really running the offense

So, it's not a question of "a spark off the bench" the way Gabby was the previous two years. Given the players available this year, the fact is that the team plays better when she's on the court. Why would you want to have the team play less than optimally?
I agree. When we play Texas, we want Crystal at the helm. To get that done she must start the next three games so that her teammates get comfortable with her as the quarterback, and she gets comfortable in that role. (Quater-backing at the helm) My English teacher just fainted.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Geno has always been loyal to his upperclassmen and he won't change now! Saniya will start but Crystal Dangerfield will play the major minutes!
It's like that old saying, It's not who starts but who finishes! Who plays in crunch time!

Reaction Score
Chong needs to start. She had issues with confidence in the past and demoting her will not help her confidence. This team needs at minimum to be 7 deep and she is a big part of it. It is clear that Danger's upside is much higher and that she is a real PG and will start every game of her career starting with next season but this season she should be the one who brings energy from the bench together with her amazing skills.

Reaction Score
It puts a point guard in to play point guard. Seemed to work better that way.
Unless CD is going to play 40 minutes I don't see why it matters.

It 'worked better' for one game do far.

It has advantages, but at what cost?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As a long time UConn WBB fan and frequent seeker of wit & wisdom from the BY, I felt it was time to join the fun and start posting.

IMHO, it is a moot point whether Saniya or Danger start at PG vs LSU. Danger will play the majority of minutes and will be on the floor when the game is on the line because she makes everyone on the floor better.

In another thread there was much speculation that when UConn went on their 16-2 run in the 4th qtr, it was because Baylor was out of gas. I don't think that was the case, since Mulkey was constantly running in subs off the bench. UConn went on their run once Danger started running the show. Baylor had no answers for Danger. It opened up the court for Lou to spot up for 3's and Gabby and Collier to find space down low to operate.

One final point. Danger will be the best thing that happens to Kia who, during the 1st 2 games, has accepted the enormous responsibility of running the offense at PG, finding more opportunities to score and being a defensive stopper. There were even a few instances when UConn played zone that I observed Kia physically moving other defenders into their proper position on the floor. Danger will allow Kia to simply do what she does best, "play hard!"

I could not help but see Geno's barely concealed joy after the Baylor game, like a kid on Christmas that just found out he has a brand new toy.....like a new Ferrari.

Not nice of you!!! You didn't allow much to disagree with. How can I nit pick??

Danger field as you and Bags point out played one heck of a game at Bu and well at Fla. My belief that Dangerfield will come off the bench--BECAUSE Geno, in the past, tried to work Freshmen in a bit at a time.
I agree with Bags it's not a coaches job to consider a bench sitters feeling--and that WILL be Geno's last concern. Chong has given Uconn good to better minutes--she and Crystal together gave Baylor fits--
If Geno pushes her a bit too far--and she fails--it may slow her Div 1 development--only ONE person knows how or how much to push--is Geno. I agree that the team ran smooth against Baylor, with a few blips.
I believe --it's Chong starting--soon in Dangerfield. As UCmiami pointed out earlier---Dangerfield probably will not worry too much about starting as long as the minutes are there that too works for Geno.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom