Does Central Florida Deserve to go to the NCAA's? | The Boneyard

Does Central Florida Deserve to go to the NCAA's?

Reaction Score
These guys won 20 games, and made it to the semi-final game of the conference championship. They won 7 of their last 8, and pushed UConn hard all game.

Seems to me they deserve to be the fourth AAC team in the NCAA's. I keep watching these AAC teams push UConn, and push them hard. I'm not sure which metrics to go to, but the AAC strikes me as much tougher, especially late this season, than it's given credit for.

I'm impressed by the AAC. AAC teams have given UConn some of their toughest challenges over the past two years. Remember South Florida last year? Temple this year? The 51-point second half? Tulane's almost- upset recently over UConn? And UCF's dogged play tonight.

If four teams go to the tournament from the AAC, I would not be at all surprised if the conference scored multiple wins.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Also I said in the off season on this board to watch out for UCF. Coach Abe (as she is called) will do great things in Orlando. She said in a press conference that she wants to start recruiting the state and challenge her team with a tougher schedule. They could be a challenger for USF and Temple for the 2nd best team in AAC. Florida has some good talent.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I was impressed with UCF as well. What a turn-a-round they had from a 7 win season from a year ago. They did give UConn a game for the first 10 minutes. UConn needed that type of challenging play from an opponent. I didn't think UCF could keep it up for an entire 40 minutes. Midway through the second quarter, they began to wilt. IMO, UCF is better than some teams that will get an "at large" bid invitation. Normally the AAC only gets two bids for the tournament, UConn and USF.

This year, they are projected to get 3 (Temple). Getting 4 in would be a stretch, especially since the AAC is still regarded as a second tier (Rodney Dangerfield) conference.
Teams in the AAC are on the come, and I look for 1-2 more teams to get tournament invitations in the near future.

Reaction Score
The UCF team has come miles and miles from last year, but you'd have to see how they stack up against the last teams to qualify for the tournament to see if they could be considered. My guess is that put against the mid-level teams from the top conferences, they would not compare favorably.

Reaction Score
RPI is #94. SOS is #98.
Only 1 win over the top 50.
Only 3 wins over the top 100.
Not even close. They'd have to expand the field to 128 to get UCF in.

I get the numbers. But sheesh, watching these kids play, they're tough. Just have to believe that they'd give a lot of RPI top-50 teams fits.

Maybe they need to wait until next year, and play a tougher schedule. But the way they won through the last half of the AAC schedule, and how tough they played UConn, just sayin'...

Reaction Score
Can't disagree. If they return good players and maybe recruit a couple more, and if Nykesha can help the coach work some magic, they could be in the running next year.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I get the numbers. But sheesh, watching these kids play, they're tough. Just have to believe that they'd give a lot of RPI top-50 teams fits.

Maybe they need to wait until next year, and play a tougher schedule. But the way they won through the last half of the AAC schedule, and how tough they played UConn, just sayin'...
I get where you're coming from, but that toughness hasn't come through enough this year. They lost 7 games to teams ranked outside the RPI top 100, including two losses to Memphis. When you play the #230 nonconference SOS and you only play 8 games against the top 100, your toughness better translate to a ton of wins. Plenty of teams from plenty of conferences can look tough and scrappy, but it doesn't mean they deserve a bid.

I mean this in the most positive way possible: the WNIT was made for teams like UCF. That is not a dig. It's a particularly great building experience for non-P5 teams that are on an upward trajectory.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I get where you're coming from, but that toughness hasn't come through enough this year. They lost 7 games to teams ranked outside the RPI top 100, including two losses to Memphis. When you play the #230 nonconference SOS and you only play 8 games against the top 100, your toughness better translate to a ton of wins. Plenty of teams from plenty of conferences can look tough and scrappy, but it doesn't mean they deserve a bid.

I mean this in the most positive way possible: the WNIT was made for teams like UCF. That is not a dig. It's a particularly great experience for non-P5 teams that are on an upward trajectory.

I get it. But seems to me that most of those losses were early in the season. Strong over the second half. Had the same feeling watching UConn play K-State, and they went to the Big-12 semifinals. UCF played UConn a lot tougher than DePaul did, and Depaul is tearing through the Big East.

I suppose it's a matrix thing. But watch out for these kids. And watch out for the AAC next season. If they start scheduling some tough teams, I'd be looking for upsets. Strikes me like the Big East in the early days. As the AAC teams attempt to deal with UConn, the whole league is getting better.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Probably looking at the NIT - now, if they do well there, it'll help build their reputation for 2018 and beyond.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Coach Abe has done a very nice job with UCF this season. While I don't think the Black Knights earn an NCAA bid, surely an NIT bid will be forthcoming, and hopefully she can build on this year's success. It can only help the AAC.

One thing I did not like was her leaving her starters in to press the Huskies late in the 4th qtr after UConn emptied their bench. Geno was clearly upset after a hard foul on Danger in the backcourt with about 2 minutes left in the game. The last thing UConn needed was an injury to a key player on a meaningless play.

I noted Geno gave a quick and perfunctory handshake to Coack Abe at the end of the game, rather than pausing to share a few words as he usually does with most all of the AAC coaches.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Simply - no.

Though vastly improved over last year, UCF is not there for the NCAA's yet.

I would hope they get a WNIT bid. It would be a very good experience for them.

Reaction Score
Coach Abe has done a very nice job with UCF this season. While I don't think the Black Knights earn an NCAA bid, surely an NIT bid will be forthcoming, and hopefully she can build on this year's success. It can only help the AAC.

One thing I did not like was her leaving her starters in to press the Huskies late in the 4th qtr after UConn emptied their bench. Geno was clearly upset after a hard foul on Danger in the backcourt with about 2 minutes left in the game. The last thing UConn needed was an injury to a key player on a meaningless play.

I noted Geno gave a quick and perfunctory handshake to Coack Abe at the end of the game, rather than pausing to share a few words as he usually does with most all of the AAC coaches.
That hard foul on Crystal was unnecessary. And then the violent hack on Tierney Lawlor was close to a flagrant. And in the last minute, when your team is down nearly 30 points? UCF played with good energy, but lots of streetball.

I noticed the quick "no-look" handshake, too.

Reaction Score
RPI is #94. SOS is #98.
Only 1 win over the top 50.
Only 3 wins over the top 100.
Not even close. They'd have to expand the field to 128 to get UCF in.

Yes. Will probably make the NIT though.

Reaction Score
Deserve? Hmmmm..... Disregard the selection rules for a moment (IMO several "undeserving" teams get in based on winning their conference tournaments, sending more "deserving" teams to the WNIT). I would ask: Does UCF have any chance in hell of becoming a Cinderella team and making it deep into the tournament? Nope.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score

fd151b1a8ec40fb1aef2ed4e0e4b9a44.jpg

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I get it. But seems to me that most of those losses were early in the season. Strong over the second half. Had the same feeling watching UConn play K-State, and they went to the Big-12 semifinals. UCF played UConn a lot tougher than DePaul did, and Depaul is tearing through the Big East.

Not exactly second half. Final 30% maybe. They did finish strong, winning 7 of their last 9. That includes one great win over USF and two wins over a fading Tulane. They also lost a close home game to Temple.

Maybe if DePaul got a rematch against UConn like UCF did, they would also fare better in Round Two.

Again, don't get me wrong. I'm impressed with UCF, and I'd already stated that they might be the most improved team in the country. I will be rooting for them in the WNIT.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That hard foul on Crystal was unnecessary. And then the violent hack on Tierney Lawlor was close to a flagrant. And in the last minute, when your team is down nearly 30 points? UCF played with good energy, but lots of streetball.

I noticed the quick "no-look" handshake, too.

Yes, UCF showed no class in maintaining a full-court press long after the game was decided, and taking a cheap shot at Crystal. Really low-class. The sort of thing one used to see out of Rutgers or Syracuse.

Reaction Score
Deserve? Hmmmm..... Disregard the selection rules for a moment (IMO several "undeserving" teams get in based on winning their conference tournaments, sending more "deserving" teams to the WNIT). I would ask: Does UCF have any chance in hell of becoming a Cinderella team and making it deep into the tournament? Nope.

But, of course, virtually no team has that chance. Half of all teams exit after one night. And three-quarters exit after two games. Just my point that there are probably a good number of at-large bids going out to teams that will be less competitive than UCF.

Reaction Score
But, of course, virtually no team has that chance. Half of all teams exit after one night. And three-quarters exit after two games. Just my point that there are probably a good number of at-large bids going out to teams that will be less competitive than UCF.

Doubt there will be even one at-large given to a team that is not clearly better than UCF. It's record speaks for itself, regardless of how they may have looked in a couple of games.

Reaction Score
The eye test says they should be in. Unfortunately their record doesn't.

I think at the end the pressing was an attempt to reduce the amount they would lose by, perhaps in an attempt to get a look from the committee. Geno was apparently not happy with the hard play at the end. Hopefully, it was just UCF working hard and being a bit overzealous, not being dirty. One has to respect that they kept playing until the end, which UConn also does, always giving your best and all that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom