Does anyone miss Diaco? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Does anyone miss Diaco?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I was ok with UConn bringing RE back due to circumstances at the time
I think he has brought in some fairly good talent
I did not watch today's game. It sounds like the offense was abysmal at best. If you don't have an efficient QB you don't win
If I was RE I would get rid of the OC if it was his decision not to change QBs at the half. If it was RE's decision, he should give up any play calling and decision making. Stick to recruiting and perhaps decide the asking price of his house in December.
A team doesn't even have to try hard to gain more than 110 yards in a half never mind a full game
Don't beat Holy Cross and the RE2 experiment is OVER - there won't be any team left if they allow the auto play when transfer rule during the upcoming off season
It's a damn shame

Reaction Score
Whenever his name comes up I wonder why he never really had another opportunity (other than his other interim HC gig @ USF when Taggart left). Always hitching his cart to the wrong horse/wrong place/wrong time or something else?
He wasn’t really qualified to be head coach just yet and then he never got a big coordinator job after leaving UConn. When he got a decent NFL gig, he stayed in that realm.

He had always wanted to be a head coach. At this point he’s a little older and he might prefer to finish out his career in the NFL over the next 10 years or so than do the grind of recruiting etc.

Reaction Score
Let me play devils advocate here- BD’s recruits who were brought in went and played at other schools (Hahn @ Monmouth, Herring-Wilson @ AK State, D Williams @Elon, DeGeorge @ Louisville, Garson @ Duquesne), to name a few, are all contributing to teams that would beat UConn at the current moment.

How bare was the cupboard? What was the rush to get RE’s recruits on the field?

It’s time to ask this question.

Reaction Score
Let me play devils advocate here- BD’s recruits who were brought in went and played at other schools (Hahn @ Monmouth, Herring-Wilson @ AK State, D Williams @Elon, DeGeorge @ Louisville, Garson @ Duquesne), to name a few, are all contributing to teams that would beat UConn at the current moment.

How bare was the cupboard? What was the rush to get RE’s recruits on the field?

It’s time to ask this question.
This team is awful, no question. But you think Monmouth, Elon, and Duquesne would beat them? Diaco brought in FCS talent and the transfers went to FCS teams like their talent dictated.

Reaction Score
No, but I miss Lashley, instead of another Cuse version of PP's clueless sidekick. This one wants to run draw plays 8 yards deep in the endzone and is still handing it off, down 38 points. While every OC Uconn plays still has their foot on the gas up 30-40.
One can only wonder what our offense would look like with Lashlee calling the shots. With Steven Krajewski being his #1 recruit in 2018 would he have an air raid offense instead of the “pound on the ground” we’ve seen in the last three years?

Reaction Score
This team is awful, no question. But you think Monmouth, Elon, and Duquesne would beat them? Diaco brought in FCS talent and the transfers went to FCS teams like their talent dictated.
And where have RE’s new recruits transferred to…?

Next weekend will answer a lot of questions- also, Monmouth plays both Middle Tenn. and Yale, so that will be an indication.

I’d love to be wrong. But just calling it as I see it.

Reaction Score
I think the most disappointing aspect was we were totally noncompetitive on both sides of the ball.

Reaction Score
They all can’t be home runs. Some may be NFL. Davis, peart, Coyle, RVD, Rose. He recruited tall players unfortunately he couldn’t get tall and fast like he could at ND. Sheriffs was good but other than that offense sucked. He lost it and had to go.

Reaction Score
They all can’t be home runs. Some may be NFL. Davis, peart, Coyle, RVD, Rose. He recruited tall players unfortunately he couldn’t get tall and fast like he could at ND. Sheriffs was good but other than that offense sucked. He lost it and had to go.
Agree. My point was more along the lines of the excuse we have heard for the past 4 years, now that the rubber meets the road for RE, and other guys play at other successful schools, how valid was the excuse?

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Whenever his name comes up I wonder why he never really had another opportunity (other than his other interim HC gig @ USF when Taggart left). Always hitching his cart to the wrong horse/wrong place/wrong time or something else?
It's a mystery to me also. There has to be a reason that we aren't privy to.

Reaction Score
In defense of Bob Diaco (words I never thought I'd say)...

I said it two years ago and I'll say it again, Diaco was bad, but at least it seemed like he had a vision for the program. He was a nut and totally incompetent, but I'd rather watch UConn clown away games and feel total rage than feel nothing at all.

Edsall is mush of a human being. Nothing to look forward to, doesn't seem to have any vision for the program. Diaco's conFLiCT idea was so hilariously dumb but you have to give the guy props for at least seeming like he gave a damn.

I'll take a St Petersburg Bowl once every few years over this nonsense. Both sucked, one sucked but cared, the other is sucking the life out of our fan base.

Reaction Score

I said it two years ago and I'll say it again, Diaco was bad, but at least it seemed like he had a vision for the program. He was a nut and totally incompetent, but I'd rather watch UConn clown away games and feel total rage than feel nothing at all.

Edsall is mush of a human being. Nothing to look forward to, doesn't seem to have any vision for the program. Diaco's conFLiCT idea was so hilariously dumb but you have to give the guy props for at least seeming like he gave a damn.

I'll take a St Petersburg Bowl once every few years over this nonsense. Both sucked, one sucked but cared, the other is sucking the life out of our fan base.
Edsall is a snake to boot.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

Here is the flaw in your assessment....the only reason Diaco won 6 games was because he had PP's players and they had an easy schedule. Diacos ship was sinking.

And I think Randy does have a vision for the program...you may not like it, but he has one. He likes old school football and old school players. Very disciplined and conservative.

Reaction Score

I was at the BC game when, early in the game with the score 0-0, we had the ball on the BC18 4th and goal. I was right on the goal line when I watched that attempt at a fake field goal. Everyone, including BC fans, were stunned. In what world does someone make that call?

To answer your question, I think I know exactly why no one has ever or will ever offer him another HC gig. I think when he's under the gun he simply can't perform. That and the fact that he recruited a hell of a basketball team as head coach for UCONN's football team.

Reaction Score
Here is the flaw in your assessment....the only reason Diaco won 6 games was because he had PP's players and they had an easy schedule. Diacos ship was sinking.

And I think Randy does have a vision for the program...you may not like it, but he has one. He likes old school football and old school players. Very disciplined and conservative.
Beating undefeated Houston wasn't an easy game. I see your point. It's like comparing a rotten banana to a rotten orange, but I cannot see Edsall's vision at all.

Edsall has nothing to prove. If it were up to me he would've been banned from ever stepping foot on campus again after how he left last time. Give the job to a young coach with something to prove. I'm one of the most risk averse people you'll ever meet, but that is not what we need right now. Start swinging for the fences or else this Independent football thing is gonna crumble fast.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom