Does Anyone Know? | The Boneyard

Does Anyone Know?

Reaction Score
Anyone knowledgeable about:

1) When UCONN's first WBB program started?
2) Who was / were the coach(es)?
3) What was their record(s)?
4) Did they ever have their names on their jerseys?

Time to dig deep since we're still w/o a 'confirmed' season! :oops:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Anyone knowledgeable about:

1) When UCONN's first WBB program started?
2) Who was / were the coach(es)?
3) What was their record(s)?
4) Did they ever have their names on their jerseys?

Time to dig deep since we're still w/o a 'confirmed' season! :oops:
Why do you need to have someone confirm a season which is already underway (at least in terms of practices) at some schools?

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
In 1902, the first unbeaten season (2-0) for the women's team at Connecticut Agricultural College (C.A.C.) in what also was the first season of women's basketball at the school.

Helen Stimson, the wife of school president Rufus Stimson, was the coach.

The team's wins that season were 15-6 and 25-6 over Willimantic HS

No Names

Here's a picture of the 1907 team. Stylin' in their unis.

1907_WBB.jpg

Reaction Score
I graduated in 75.... I can tell you they played in a run down old gym on South Campus... worse than most high school gyms.... Something like Hawley Armory, I believe . I did sit on the court there one night for a free George Carlin show.... funniest thing I've ever seen... before or since!

Reaction Score
In 1902, the first unbeaten season (2-0) for the women's team at Connecticut Agricultural College (C.A.C.) in what also was the first season of women's basketball at the school.

No Names

View attachment 55291
But did they have their names on the back? :p :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I graduated in 75.... I can tell you they played in a run down old gym on South Campus... worse than most high school gyms.... Something like Hawley Armory, I believe . I did sit on the court there one night for a free George Carlin show.... funniest thing I've ever seen... before or since!
With Peach Baskets for the goal! ;)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The Carlin show or the basketball team?? :rolleyes:

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score

No Names

View attachment 55291

I thought the first women's teams required 6 players; 3 on offense and 3 on defense. I only see 5 in the photo?

Reaction Score
I thought the first women's teams required 6 players; 3 on offense and 3 on defense. I only see 5 in the photo?
maybe one of the women was Mo-jeff fast?

Reaction Score
That 1902 team played really great D. Does anyone know if they played zone or woman to woman defense?

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
The rules were not codified by a "supervising" organisation to what we know as "the old rules" until later in the game's life. Folks played in gyms, in attics avoiding potbellied stoves, outdoors on grass, 11 on 11 and so on. When teams traveled (yes, they TRAVELED to play) from, say, the mid-west to the west coast, the teams would negotiate the which rules they would follow for the game.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Off on a tangent, sort of. So, I went to UConn 65-69. Were there ANY women's teams prior to 1972? ( Title IX)
It seems like there should have been, but I don't remember any. Possibilities would be Tennis, Swim, Track, Golf, Gymnastics. Does any one know?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Three years later they were playing at the field house, just like the men.

Reaction Score
Three years later they were playing at the field house, just like the men.
An upgrade.... from terrible to lousy! lol But I spent most of my afternoons playing hoops in the field house.... morning classes and hoops in the afternoon!
Pic not from UConn, but a sign of my BB prowess... many moons ago!

Attachments

• Scott11.jpg
    Scott11.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 89

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

No Names

View attachment 55291
this is awesome. muchas gracias. we rule willimantic high school on the hardwood.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom