Does Anyone Know What Impact the Paying of College Athletes Would Have on UConn? | The Boneyard

Does Anyone Know What Impact the Paying of College Athletes Would Have on UConn?

Reaction Score
Senator Chris Murphy has called for the paying of college athletes. Congress may act soon.
SUPPORT GROWS FOR MURPHY’S “MADNESS INC.” REPORT & CALL ON NCAA TO COMPENSATE STUDENT-ATHLETES | U.S. Senator Chris Murphy of Connecticut
Exactly what impact would that have on UConn? Where is the money going to come from? The UConn athletic budget is already running at a significant loss. Are ticket prices going to skyrocket? Will UConn even be able to compete for top athletes in popular sports? Is there even a cap on how much they would be paid under these plans? Is the going rate for a sough-after recruit going to go over $1 million in a popular sport?

I wonder, too, if such a process went into effect would the B10's or ACC's TV channel be so desperate for more viewers in areas with strong demographics, like Connecticut, teams like UConn or even Buffalo or UMass would have a shot at membership?

Reaction Score
Senator Chris Murphy has called for the paying of college athletes. Congress may act soon.
SUPPORT GROWS FOR MURPHY’S “MADNESS INC.” REPORT & CALL ON NCAA TO COMPENSATE STUDENT-ATHLETES | U.S. Senator Chris Murphy of Connecticut
Exactly what impact would that have on UConn? Where is the money going to come from? The UConn athletic budget is already running at a significant loss. Are ticket prices going to skyrocket? Will UConn even be able to compete for top athletes in popular sports? Is there even a cap on how much they would be paid under these plans? Is the going rate for a sough-after recruit going to go over $1 million in a popular sport?

I wonder, too, if such a process went into effect would the B10's or ACC's TV channel be so desperate for more viewers in areas with strong demographics, like Connecticut, teams like UConn or even Buffalo or UMass would have a shot at membership?
Lol no

Reaction Score
Wow you can't make this up, the UCONN AD currently operates at a huge loss (as do most schools) and this guy wants to make it worse. Either he knows something about UCONN's accounting that we are unaware of or he is crazy. Edsall supports it so I am really baffled. Is there something completely bogus about the 40 million dollar net loss? I don't rule out the possibility of fudged up accounting.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I thought they were already getting paid. Aren't they making like $4k a year now?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Well, many schools already do pay their recruits...they just funnel it through all sorts of creative dark web channels to skirt around NCAA "rules". Traditionally garbage P5 hoops programs hold a significant advantage over UConn (and all other non-P5 schools) and recent recruiting trends show it.

Paying players "legally" will obviously most benefit the schools who have money - i.e. P5 schools - but I highly doubt it will do anything to curtail the dark web recruiting tactics. LSU, Auburn and the rest of the garbage SEC hoops conference are already using their mountains of TV money to apply shady football recruiting tactics to hoops...and it's working out well for them. Very hard to imagine that trend changing any time soon considering the money involved and the significant investments made into these conferences by ESPN/Disney. Kind of like MLB turning a blind eye to players diving into a tub of steroids syringes in the 90s...there is just too much money at stake to do anything about it until there is enough public outrage.

Reaction Score
Either Murphy is an idiot or he wants UConn to drop football...or both.
I dont see how this helps UConn at all.
Not that they could have had an impact in realignment if they got involved over the past several years but NOW our senators chirp up?
Thanks a lot

Reaction Score
Paying players can only help UConn Football. Forget the economics for a second. Right now, UConn football is dying a slow, painful, guaranteed death due to status quo(conferences, CFP playoff, etc).

100% if this continues as is, UConn football dies, or some form of death that involves scaling back ambitions and budget.

If the entire system gets blown up, now all the pieces are in the air and it levels the playing field somewhat. Now, 5 stars get the same compensation everywhere they go, so they just self-sort into the most prestigious programs. If other variables are thrown into the mix like compensation, endorsement deals, benefits, etc, you will have a much better chance to distribute talent in a more even way and a higher emphasis on scouting will become more important. Also the "big" schools may have a revenue edge, but they will be competing escalating salaries to land big stars, draining their coffers.

The key here is that literally anything that blows it up is good for UConn, all other factors be damned. We need chaos, we need change to have a chance.

Reaction Score
Paying players can only help UConn Football. Forget the economics for a second. Right now, UConn football is dying a slow, painful, guaranteed death due to status quo(conferences, CFP playoff, etc).

100% if this continues as is, UConn football dies, or some form of death that involves scaling back ambitions and budget.

If the entire system gets blown up, now all the pieces are in the air and it levels the playing field somewhat. Now, 5 stars get the same compensation everywhere they go, so they just self-sort into the most prestigious programs. If other variables are thrown into the mix like compensation, endorsement deals, benefits, etc, you will have a much better chance to distribute talent in a more even way and a higher emphasis on scouting will become more important. Also the "big" schools may have a revenue edge, but they will be competing escalating salaries to land big stars, draining their coffers.

The key here is that literally anything that blows it up is good for UConn, all other factors be damned. We need chaos, we need change to have a chance.

I'll reiterate this again. The players are already being paid $4-6k.

But there is no way the culture in Connecticut can compete against our AAC brethren if the spigots open. We don't have the sort of boosters who care very deeply about this stuff and who are willing to bankroll it. Worse, I wonder if people will continue to watch a glorified form of semi-pro sports once it becomes evident these are not really students.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Paying players can only help UConn Football. Forget the economics for a second.
Because the way to analyze the addition of a huge cost to a program that is already in the red is to "ignore the economics?" Please tell me that you don't have a UConn business degree.
Now, 5 stars get the same compensation everywhere they go, so they just self-sort into the most prestigious programs.
Of course that assumes that they won't get illegal payments, which is a pretty big reach given that already do. Said differently allowing additional "legal payments" just prices out G5 competition which is already struggling to keep pace. It does nothing to eliminate the "dark web of illegal payments" (shout out to @Dooley for the sweet verbiage.)

Reaction Score

It won't have any impact on UConn. If paying athletes becomes a reality then the NCAA will split up into two subdivisions. Those that pay athletes (The power conferences) and those that don't. The subdivisions will not play against each other, function totally independent from one another, and will have their own separate tournaments. UConn will align with the non-pay for play group.

Reaction Score
It won't have any impact on UConn. If paying athletes becomes a reality then the NCAA will split up into two subdivisions. Those that pay athletes (The power conferences) and those that don't. The subdivisions will not play against each other, function totally independent from one another, and will have their own separate tournaments. UConn will align with the non-pay for play group.

The B1G says it won't pay salaries above the $5-6k it is already paying athletes. We'll see about that, but... they may hold fast to it. Then there's the question of how any legislation can force this. The colleges won/lost/won when the previous case went to the NLRB, and they decided to pay players up to $6k at that point. It will be very hard to show why/how they should get paid more than that.

Reaction Score
Because the way to analyze the addition of a huge cost to a program that is already in the red is to "ignore the economics?" Please tell me that you don't have a UConn business degree.
Of course that assumes that they won't get illegal payments, which is a pretty big reach given that already do. Said differently allowing additional "legal payments" just prices out G5 competition which is already struggling to keep pace. It does nothing to eliminate the "dark web of illegal payments" (shout out to @Dooley for the sweet verbiage.)

You guys have peanut butter for brains. We are already in the red so who cares. We do nothing we die. Illegal payments - who cares. We do nothing we die. **although I will note that legal, regulated marketplaces have a much lower rate of fraud due to the fact that, uh, profiting is legal so why hide? But Again, Busting the current cartel is the only shot UConn football has of surviving. Period. Start from there. No change, we die. That is your opportunity cost.

The opportunity is taking a complete wrecking ball to the sports economic model, providing a window for us to be innovators and seize our chance. Find the inneffficiencies in the new system, invest in scouting and get undervalued(literally) players, while the big boys fight it out for costly 5 stars.

Might work might not. Can't be worse than right now. oh and also as a side benefit its the right freaking thing to do not that any of you meatheads care about ethics or right and wrong. Like I said, you all thinking we can somehow play within the current corrupt system and survive, you are in LaLa land wake up.

Reaction Score
You guys have peanut butter for brains. We are already in the red so who cares. We do nothing we die. Illegal payments - who cares. We do nothing we die. **although I will note that legal, regulated marketplaces have a much lower rate of fraud due to the fact that, uh, profiting is legal so why hide? But Again, Busting the current cartel is the only shot UConn football has of surviving. Period. Start from there. No change, we die. That is your opportunity cost.

The opportunity is taking a complete wrecking ball to the sports economic model, providing a window for us to be innovators and seize our chance. Find the inneffficiencies in the new system, invest in scouting and get undervalued(literally) players, while the big boys fight it out for costly 5 stars.

Might work might not. Can't be worse than right now. oh and also as a side benefit its the right freaking thing to do not that any of you meatheads care about ethics or right and wrong. Like I said, you all thinking we can somehow play within the current corrupt system and survive, you are in LaLa land wake up.

Have you ever been down south?

They live and die with football down there.

You will never ever compete with USF, UCF, Houston, etc. under your model.

You stand a better chance now.

There are no lunatics like Fertita in Connecticut.

This is exactly why the B1G has said they are not going along with these plans--because they know the SEC will blow them out of the water.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom