Does anyone have... | The Boneyard

Does anyone have...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If I remember correctly Ogunbowale held a press conference to announce what 5 teams made her "final list" and Geno (rightfully IMHO) took a little shot at her and the others that think they are Lebron James.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
If I remember correctly Ogunbowale held a press conference to announce what 5 teams made her "final list" and Geno (rightfully IMHO) took a little shot at her and the others that think they are Lebron James.

I see ( I think), a dig at making a production out of decision-making.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
You surf Twitter? Asking cause that link sends you to Twitter. Its not a crime.

Serena more so than Venus

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

That was the presser when she announced she would be attending Notre Dame. The Geno tweet came after Ogunbowale tweeted her list of five remaining schools she was considering. I'd hope Geno would have better things to do than peruse her Twitter account in the first place. It was a strange tweet without context either way.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
That was the presser when she announced she would be attending Notre Dame. The Geno tweet came after Ogunbowale tweeted her list of five remaining schools she was considering. I'd hope Geno would have better things to do than peruse her Twitter account in the first place. It was a strange tweet without context either way.

Unless he tuned in to her twitter account to find out if UConn made the cut. Remember, she invited the public (or those who follow her on twitter and/or those interested in her college choice) to check out her twitter account on a specific day and at a specific time to find out which schools made her final list of 5. We should assume she called the coaches of the other 6 schools (her list had been at 11) but we don't know that for sure. None of what I just said would justify Geno's tweet, but may explain its context if it were directed at AO as everyone assumes.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Unless he tuned in to her twitter account to find out if UConn made the cut. Remember, she invited the public (or those who follow her on twitter and/or those interested in her college choice) to check out her twitter account on a specific day and at a specific time to find out which schools made her final list of 5. We should assume she called the coaches of the other 6 schools (her list had been at 11) but we don't know that for sure. None of what I just said would justify Geno's tweet, but may explain its context if it were directed at AO as everyone assumes.

That scenario still seems odd to me. We're not talking about who she would commit to, just which final five teams would make her list. A college coach reading a player's twitter for such info would be strange even if the player were Brittney Griner. Why would he be that worried about Ogunbowale? The whole thing confuses me.

Reaction Score
Sluconn Husky said:
That scenario still seems odd to me. We're not talking about who she would commit to, just which final five teams would make her list. A college coach reading a player's twitter for such info would be strange even if the player were Brittney Griner. Why would he be that worried about Ogunbowale? The whole thing confuses me.

I am certain many in the women's basketball office, including players and managers monitor these things. Especially if they are friends. Doesn't mean Geno himself is the one following it. Word gets around quickly.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

No one has said he was "worried" about her. He did, however, recruit her, which included trips to watch her play in Milwaukee and elsewhere. With that in mind, I think it's fair to assume he was interested in knowing which schools made her final cut and chose to go to the source just like the media and fans did. For all we know, the other coaches tuned in to her twitter account to find out which schools made the cut.

Reaction Score
I think it would be strange for them NOT to be. Or someone on their staff. IIRC there was a photo posted from the tourney Geno was at when this tweet came out, and you could see Shea and Marissa buried in their phones. My interpretation of Geno's snarky tweet was that he didn't get a "regrets" call that he felt entitled to.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
IIRC, Geno is old school enough to think that calling a press conference to announce your signing, or tweeting your winnowed down list of possibles is a little too "look at ME!!!" Mind you, we have Stewie who signed her letter on the hood of her car and faxed the letter to UConn. Low key versus drums and trumpets, you might say.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
IIRC, Geno is old school enough to think that calling a press conference to announce your signing, or tweeting your winnowed down list of possibles is a little too "look at ME!!!" Mind you, we have Stewie who signed her letter on the hood of her car and faxed the letter to UConn. Low key versus drums and trumpets, you might say.

Pretty sure he's had recruits in recent years who tweeted or re-tweeted their pared down list of schools.

No one has said he was "worried" about her. He did, however, recruit her, which included trips to watch her play in Milwaukee and elsewhere. With that in mind, I think it's fair to assume he was interested in knowing which schools made her final cut and chose to go to the source just like the media and fans did. For all we know, the other coaches tuned in to her twitter account to find out which schools made the cut.

Granting that there are reasons he and other coaches would follow her messages, that doesn't make his tweet look very good.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Geno is ever capable of sarcasm and saying things that can be taken wrong. His point - if he had the one folks assume - isn't really wrong, but the tweet would have been best omitted.

I will never forget the day I sat behind the UConn bench at an empty RAC and heard Geno yell "All right, no more foreigners" after Svet did something he didn't like and, shortly thereafter "She's a Human Foul" referring to Kelly Schumacher. Perfectly alright in context, but . . .

Incidentally, and surprisingly, Harry Paretta wasn't that memorable, the only quote I really "got" was "Reverse the Ball. Good things always happen when you reverse the ball" yelled out at the court.

Reaction Score
I don't think it was her posting the list of five that resulted in Geno's tweet, it was her need to tweet that she was about to do it. It's her use of the teaser; 'Stay tuned here for an important announcement' that IMO irked him.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I don't think it was her posting the list of five that resulted in Geno's tweet, it was her need to tweet that she was about to do it. It's her use of the teaser; 'Stay tuned here for an important announcement' that IMO irked him.

To me there's a difference between a press conference and telling your twitter followers/friends that you're going to make an announcement. I don't think anyone should've had an issue with what Ogunbowale did. Seems innocuous and harmless.

Reaction Score
To me there's a difference between a press conference and telling your twitter followers/friends that you're going to make an announcement. I don't think anyone should've had an issue with what Ogunbowale did. Seems innocuous and harmless.
It is, in fact, the way of the world for young people. Back in the day, the phone was the way I shared important news, or expected news, with my friends. Or in the lunch room, in the hall way between classes, hanging out at the Burger King on Friday and Saturday nights. The cyber world now makes it possible to send out a communication instantaneously to thousands of people. Is it a good thing? I think it depends on your age. My late father-in-law saw the stock market crash and the depression, saw lots of banks fail. Never trusted banks and kept as little of his money in banks as possible. Everything was paid for in cash - his house, cars, electric bills, property taxes. If it had to be a check, he went to the bank with cash and got a cashiers check. He never even had a check book. He passed away in 1994. I can only imagine what he would say about online banking, online shopping, PayPal, etc. I on the other hand pay most of my bills online. Yes, I have had some of my debit/credit cards replaced due to data breaches. But on the whole, the convenience of electronic payment is my fact of life. I may not tweet my every thought, in fact, have only composed about 10 tweets in my life. But for the younger generation (dang, that hurts to have those thoughts in my head!), that is how they communicate with their friends - and all kinds of anonymous people as well - most of which are (probably) harmless.

Reaction Score
I have an announcement, that in two weeks I will be making an announcement about the announcement I will be making in a month from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom