Does anyone have any info regarding Aubrey's condition? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Does anyone have any info regarding Aubrey's condition?

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Shifting gears a bit, with the assumption that Aubrey's injury is season ending, what's next? Based on the idea that this is her last season at UConn (and yes, there's a covid/redshirt year remaining):
  • stay at UConn for another year, immerse herself into a controlled environment of recovery, rehab, and prep for the 2025 WNBA draft, or
  • declare for the draft this year, and hope a team does a "Lou" with her? She won't play in 2024, so that might be a huge risk.
Injuries during players' last season are not ideal, as if they have aspirations to go pro, there's not a lot of runway to be ready for the W season, whereas if you are a junior, you've got another year to get healthy.

sun

Reaction Score
I absolutely HATE when a team trainer goes out on the floor for an injured player and isn’t carrying an ice pack. whether it’s a ankle, knee, elbow, hands, shoulder, head, etc. apply ice immediately will help to keep the swelling and edema down Instead of waiting to get to the bench or locker room. I don’t believe there is any harm to applying the ice immediately and could possibly make the Injury less severe.
IIRC when Jana got injured they brought a wheelchair onto the court.
At least she wasn't forced to walk back to the locker room.
FIBA was well prepared.

Reaction Score
granted ice won’t help if it’s a torn ligament, but will help keeping the swelling down so you might get a MRI done sooner plus the cold ice will help lesson the pain of the injury. When the trainer first goes out on the floor, they do not know the extent of the injury. APPLY THE ICE
Unfortunately, no amount of ice (well, an iceberg might) will make the difference in swelling (re MRI). The swelling is due to internal bleeding, not just excess fluid. Hydrotherapy could help lower swelling (not prevent it) and pressure bandaging can help but again - not in a way that would reduce it so MRI can be delayed.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, no amount of ice (well, an iceberg might) will make the difference in swelling (re MRI). The swelling is due to internal bleeding, not just excess fluid. Hydrotherapy could help lower swelling (not prevent it) and pressure bandaging can help but again - not in a way that would reduce it so MRI can be delayed.
Shouldn't "MRI can be delayed", actually be MRI would not be delayed?

Reaction Score
Shifting gears a bit, with the assumption that Aubrey's injury is season ending, what's next? Based on the idea that this is her last season at UConn (and yes, there's a covid/redshirt year remaining):
  • stay at UConn for another year, immerse herself into a controlled environment of recovery, rehab, and prep for the 2025 WNBA draft, or
  • declare for the draft this year, and hope a team does a "Lou" with her? She won't play in 2024, so that might be a huge risk.
Injuries during players' last season are not ideal, as if they have aspirations to go pro, there's not a lot of runway to be ready for the W season, whereas if you are a junior, you've got another year to get healthy.

If. And I know I’m not, I’m Aubrey, I’m coming back. Well, if there’s room. Should could come back for the 2nd have of the year. And be 100% for the draft

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
If. And I know I’m not, I’m Aubrey, I’m coming back. Well, if there’s room. Should could come back for the 2nd have of the year. And be 100% for the draft
This is what stinks about the timing of injuries after the season starts. There's not a lot of room to recover, and players need to be ready to contribute in the W or they get cut. It's sad.

Reaction Score
This is what stinks about the timing of injuries after the season starts. There's not a lot of room to recover, and players need to be ready to contribute in the W or they get cut. It's sad.

And there has way too many this year

Reaction Score
I absolutely HATE when a team trainer goes out on the floor for an injured player and isn’t carrying an ice pack. whether it’s a ankle, knee, elbow, hands, shoulder, head, etc. apply ice immediately will help to keep the swelling and edema down Instead of waiting to get to the bench or locker room. I don’t believe there is any harm to applying the ice immediately and could possibly make the Injury less severe.
Not a medical pro but one would think ice could be temporary pain relief. I found it hard to believe no wheel chair was provided to get her to the locker room without having to physically suspend the wounded leg. That and the head coach has to be the secondary medical staff to help her hobble off. :confused:
If it's a torn ligament, ice is not going to help. I have torn my ACL and MCL and ice wasn't going to reattach either.
Seriously? Like anyone here thought ice was going to reattach a torn ACL or MCL????? Back in the day medical staff had a tool kit and some of what was in it was instant ice packs. I get that might not be modern day protocol but one does still see players injured coming back to the bench to be with the team with an ice pack on a knee or ankle. Walking with crutches of course.

Reaction Score
Not a medical pro but one would think ice could be temporary pain relief. I found it hard to believe no wheel chair was provided to get her to the locker room without having to physically suspend the wounded leg. That and the head coach has to be the secondary medical staff to help her hobble off. :confused:

Seriously? Like anyone here thought ice was going to reattach a torn ACL or MCL????? Back in the day medical staff had a tool kit and some of what was in it was instant ice packs. I get that might not be modern day protocol but one does still see players injured coming back to the bench to be with the team with an ice pack on a knee or ankle. Walking with crutches of course.

I’m just gonna add to this…. The ice will help with the swelling.

Reaction Score

I was responding to one person and I said what I said!

Reaction Score
BRS24- - -Tamika Catchings was taken #1 in the WNBA draft after she tore her ACL her senior year at TN!
I'm not comparing Aubrey to Tamika as players just both were hurt during their senior years!

Reaction Score
BRS24- - -Tamika Catchings was taken #1 in the WNBA draft after she tore her ACL her senior year at TN!
I'm not comparing Aubrey to Tamika as players just both were hurt during their senior years!
Tamika Catchings went 3rd overall, behind Lauren Jackson and Kelly Miller. Svetlana Abrosimova also suffered an injury which ended her college career, and went 7th in the same draft.

Reaction Score
Shouldn't "MRI can be delayed", actually be MRI would not be delayed?
Let me rephrase because English is not my first language - no amount of ice will reduce the swelling in a way that would allow one to do an MRI several days post injury. Once the swelling starts, it's a waiting game. I know some NFL teams have MRI and Xray machines inside their home stadiums... can only be jealous!

Reaction Score
Back in the Dark Ages I had several knee injuries that caused significant swelling. To reduce the swelling each time the doctor jabbed a large needle into the knee joint and “drained” my knee. This was done to reduce pressure in the knee. There were no MRIs back then. So, unless this treatment is no longer used ice is not needed to reduce swelling.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Good point, as I had forgotten about Catchings. However, it seems that based on roster sizes and expectations for immediate results, the WNBA has changed so that teams may not take the risk. Yes, Lou got drafted in 1st round, however it's unclear whether the Wings thought rehab would fix her knee issue and then found out surgery was necessary, same as Ayanna.

Reaction Score
Back in the Dark Ages I had several knee injuries that caused significant swelling. To reduce the swelling each time the doctor jabbed a large needle into the knee joint and “drained” my knee. This was done to reduce pressure in the knee. There were no MRIs back then. So, unless this treatment is no longer used ice is not needed to reduce swelling.
Speaking of dark ages and knee injuries, I remember watching HBO's "Women of Troy", a documentary about USC's 1980's women's basketball team, and how once Cheryl Miller got her ACL busted that was the end of her career. My partner (a PT specializing in sports injuries) and I were shaking our heads in disbelief. Thank god we're in a different time now!

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Has anyone ever seem a trainer bring ice onto the field of play? I have not. Not even in CYO. My guess is she is using an ice bath.
Used to see a lot of that spray freeze stuff....

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Good question. I am guessing both are distinct possibilities because I think that she is the type of player WNBA teams like. It appears to me that during UConn broadcasts, Stephanie White is very high on Aubrey's potential in the league.

Reaction Score
Speaking of dark ages and knee injuries, I remember watching HBO's "Women of Troy", a documentary about USC's 1980's women's basketball team, and how once Cheryl Miller got her ACL busted that was the end of her career. My partner (a PT specializing in sports injuries) and I were shaking our heads in disbelief. Thank god we're in a different time now!
I dislocated my knee in those dark ages (1970), completely tore the ACL and severely tore the PCL. After an Xray showed no breaks, they pushed the patella back into place, wrapped it in an Ace bandage and put me on crutches. After about a week I was yelled at to start walking! :eek:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom