does anyone else think Mizzou made a mistake by going to the SEC? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

does anyone else think Mizzou made a mistake by going to the SEC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Missouri actually has been trying to get into the Big 10 for about a decade, and is responsible for a lot of the instability the Big XII has had.

I see a lot of anti-Texas rhetoric and very little factual discussion in this thread. Missouri is going to find they have little sway in the SEC. Alabama, Florida, LSU, and Georgia are going to be like four Texases. However, they're in a more stable conference, so they have that going for them.

Reaction Score
Missouri actually has been trying to get into the Big 10 for about a decade, and is responsible for a lot of the instability the Big XII has had.

I see a lot of anti-Texas rhetoric and very little factual discussion in this thread. Missouri is going to find they have little sway in the SEC. Alabama, Florida, LSU, and Georgia are going to be like four Texases. However, they're in a more stable conference, so they have that going for them.

Did Missouri have any sway in the Big 12? Although its easy and fashionable to hate on Texas, it's no secret that everyone in the conference besides Texas tried to leave (all but Oklahoma and the teams no one wants succeeded). That alone says something.

Plus, I find it hard to lay much blame on Missouri for the Big 12. Even if they left, they are replaceable. They didn't cause the conference to crumble, and I fail to see how they had any affect on Colorado, Nebraska, or Texas A&M.

Reaction Score
Mizzou had no juice at all in the B8, or the B12. Likewise, they will have no juice in the SEC. They'll just have stability and a fatter wallet.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If you ever read Frank the Tank's blog, he does a great job spelling out why Missouri had to make the move.

It's not just about money (although the school should get more). It's not just about stability (which cannot be understated given how Missouri was this close to being left in a conference wasteland). It's obvious something was/is rotten in the Big 12. It's why Colorado left. It's why Nebraska left. It's why Texas A&M left. And it's why Missouri left. And it's also why Oklahoma twice made serious overtures to the Pac-10/12 in the last year. Every other school (except Texas) in the conference isn't wanted by themselves, so they have to take it. But those that could leave did so.

People claiming Missouri will get stomped in the SEC seem to forget Missouri wasn't very good in the Big 12. I can't recall them ever winning a football or basketball title. No one really seems to care about the other sports, but I don't think they won many of those either. So it's hard to go down from where they are. In fact, given Tennessee and Florida's post-Meyer struggles, Missouri could do decently well in the SEC East short term.

Does it suck to abandon rivalries? To an extent. However, Colorado and Nebraska (both former Big 8 members) already left. Missouri may be able to establish good rivalries with border state schools like Vanderbilt or Arkansas. And while losing a Kansas rivalry would suck, that's really on Kansas. Missouri seems very willing to continue scheduling the game, both in football and in basketball. And while Kansas is currently taking a petulant approach to the whole conference realignment, the ball's squarely in their court to continue was supposed to be a big rivalry. If Kansas does want to continue it, it's their choice. But it also suggests the game really wasn't that important it Kansas says no (I mean let's be fair, would Notre Dame and USC stop playing if Ntotre Dame joined a conference?)

In the end, Missouri should be fine and they won't have to worry about Texas leaving them in a third rate conference leftovers.

As for Mizzou playing Kansas, ask yourself why UConn doesn't play BC. Kansas feels betrayed, as well they should. If ND and USC had been in a conference together for 100+ years, and one of them abandoned the other, I suspect that the rivalry might well cease. If Ohio State abandoned Michigan and went to the SEC, how would Michigan react?

It appears that Mizzou has just 3 national titles (in all sports) in its history. Other than K-State with zero, that's by far the worst of any current Big XII team. OK State is by far the leader with 34 wrestling titles. So they have not been very successful (far fewer titles than just UConn's basketball teams).

Reaction Score
As for Mizzou playing Kansas, ask yourself why UConn doesn't play BC. Kansas feels betrayed, as well they should. If ND and USC had been in a conference together for 100+ years, and one of them abandoned the other, I suspect that the rivalry might well cease. If Ohio State abandoned Michigan and went to the SEC, how would Michigan react?

It appears that Mizzou has just 3 national titles (in all sports) in its history. Other than K-State with zero, that's by far the worst of any current Big XII team. OK State is by far the leader with 34 wrestling titles. So they have not been very successful (far fewer titles than just UConn's basketball teams).

What is this, divorce court? Is Kansas the jilted lover? Do schools have feelings? Conference affiliation certainly goes beyond athletic scheduling, but you also act like schools can't have any affiliation if they are out of conference. The biggest "loss" by Missouri leaving is the lack of an automatic scheduling of games. But the schools, if they act reasonable, can easily continue that.

Look, I can understand that Kansas does not like Missouri leaving. In the same way I don't like a whole long list of things. But I just don't take my ball and go home. Missouri's decision had nothing to do with Kansas. But if Kansas wants to act like it did, they can do so. It's just not rational to do so. If USC/Clemson and Georgia/GT can get past similar splits, I'm sure Kansas can too.

Reaction Score
High tide raises all boats. SEC is definitely "high tide". Only regret, too bad it isn't UConn going to the SEC.

Reaction Score
we're not talking about tides, we're talking about sports teams, and since there's only so many wins to go around in a conference it's not at all equivilent. if we went to the SEC we'd drown. would you really be happy as a 4-5 win SEC team every year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom