Does anyone edit the Courant any more? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Does anyone edit the Courant any more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Always more fun when you can have typos to look for in the morning paper, or when you can rail against the educational system by spelling "cause," or if we were educated correctly " 'cause,"as "cuase." Priceless.

The NY Times had a fun one today in an article on the effects of streaming on traditional television. "The growth of steaming is seen at this point to be the major disruptive force in the media landscape today." Always knew my steamed carrots would cause the downfall of media empires, and I'm sure they're all steamed about it.

Reaction Score
<<...John Altavilla's recent story... included his quoting Muffet McGraw as saying, "We looked like a dear in the headlights.">>
It may not be a mistake or a mis-quote.
Perhaps Muffy, having eaten a portion of humble pie recently, has had a change of attitude. If the "we" she refers to is UConn, not the Dames, she may be trying to endear herself to Geno.

I would just Tuck this one instance aside & see if MM is a bit more Gabby when we see them again. They will have Mo' than enough to handle in March. Let her Stew on that a bit longer... What the Ek? Let 'em Nurse their wounds for a while. Don't Stoke them up. 'K?
Sani days are here again!!
Ge no on a Daily basis I would have said you Moseley left out the coaches but you probably would have said, too Shea!

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Cause and effect. Can't give bad grades cuase it hurts their tender feelings. How else did anyone else think it was going to end up.

Now this is just a silly canard. (though there is some irony in both your spelling and punctuation)

We are discussing editors and copy editors and the paying thereof, not the ability of writers to spell, spell check, or overuse commas.

There is a long history of writers, whatever grades they got and however tender their feelings, who have appreciated editors -- even though, at times, it's a love hate relationship. That outside eye - be it editor, co-worker, friend or mom -can be invaluable because our own eye can be fooled by our brain. How often have we read and reread something, proudly sent it off into the ether, only to discover a doozy of a typo?

Oh, and if you're wondering, I got paid $25 for each piece. As I once explained to my mother, only I could find a job that pays less that being a teaching artist: writing about women's basketball.

I even managed to find a job that pays less than that: blogging about women's basketball.

Hmmmm.... noticing a dangerous trend here....

Reaction Score
Newspapers are dinosaurs trying to save as much money as they can to hang on; we have the same problem here. Or is that "hear"?
Nah, hear is correct, it's the punctuation that's wrong - We have the same problem, hear?;)

Reaction Score
Now this is just a silly canard. (though there is some irony in both your spelling and punctuation)

We are discussing editors and copy editors and the paying thereof, not the ability of writers to spell, spell check, or overuse commas.

There is a long history of writers, whatever grades they got and however tender their feelings, who have appreciated editors -- even though, at times, it's a love hate relationship. That outside eye - be it editor, co-worker, friend or mom -can be invaluable because our own eye can be fooled by our brain. How often have we read and reread something, proudly sent it off into the ether, only to discover a doozy of a typo?

Oh, and if you're wondering, I got paid $25 for each piece. As I once explained to my mother, only I could find a job that pays less that being a teaching artist: writing about women's basketball.

I even managed to find a job that pays less than that: blogging about women's basketball.

Hmmmm.... noticing a dangerous trend here....

Just for a bit of input, I have had some time on my hands recently and being an avid reader, I have consumed over 400 books a year on my kindle for the last two years.
Spelling, grammer and copy editing is virtually a lost art. Of course some of the "Old school" writers still adhere to some decent level of quality, but the dirth of new talent is charging the same prices for books that are NOT of the same quality (english or grammer). The "Old school" writers are about one in ten now adays and getting less and less as a percentage of newer publications. I've gotten to the point that I do not even care about such things (altho I notice) it's more about talent in other areas that interests me any more. I don't think society as a whole cares about grammer or spelling anymore. Perhaps the talent to notice is waning.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I write for a living.
Many of my clients are younger people lacking basic English-language skills.
Sometimes I think I'll be able to work forever because there are fewer skilled writers.
Other times I see myself struggling to sell my services because the illiterate generation doesn't care.
Then I wonder if I use too few commas.

No, you, do, not, use, too, few, commas, nor, as, best, I, can, discern, semi-colons.

Sigh - I also get paid for writing (strictly part-time, mainly for fun) and my editor/publisher never catches my errors, which I am sorry to say are far too many.

cabbie191

Reaction Score
Again, the cost of a decent editor would have to be supported by the pay of the public. And the public is not willing to pay for news.

I've posted this before, but I'll do so again, just to thrust some hours and dollars into the discussion. I recently wrote six somewhat lengthy (1200-1500 words) articles on the inductees to the WBHOF. Here's how I spent my time:

6 hours: Research
6 hours: Setting up and conducting the interviews
12 hours: Transcribing the interviews. Because I didn't have the time to indulge in transcribing, I paid folks to do it - about $65 an interview.
30 hours: Writing. I'm not an outrageously fast writer, but it does take time to read the transcripts, digest, research missing areas, draft and shape and self-edit a piece.

Total hours spent if I didn't indulge in an outside transcriber: 54

So, what do you think a fair fee should be?

I'm paid $80 for my articles - it's an environmental column for a family oriented bi-monthly newspaper. They run between 1500 - 2000 words and take on average about 4 hours to write. When I started I didn't expect to get paid anything at all so the first check was a real surprise. I've been doing this for 6 years now and keep on it mainly because I enjoy the craft.

cabbie191

Reaction Score
One other thing that occurs to me. This concept of self-editing is sort of bogus. Every professional writer edits his/her stuff, but you always need a set of fresh eyes. Otherwise, there are stupidities like the deer-dear problem when a writer experiences a brain fart. Most good professional writers want the services of a good editor, because the editor saves the writer from himself.

Part of it is the downside of computers. We are so used to having them spell check for us, we don't always take care to read our own stuff critically.

T

TroyHouse66

Yes, 191, computers do foist a certain amount of dependency by auto-spell-checking.
Thank heavens for all those "mean" teachers we had in our 1950-1960s schooldays. They who would, casually, toss back an assignment after hitting the second mis-spelled word and guide you to the nearest Webster's Unabridged dictionary.

My heart goes out to today's classroom teachers who are faced with increasing demands for non-instruction paperwork to the detriment of time spent on students. Time constraints no longer allow the "proper" correcting of student writing assignments. [Total disclosure: I walked away from classroom teaching (27-30:1 ratio - 7th/8th grade - Social Studies) when the "administrative" paperwork vs instruction time / student assignment review moved into the 60:40 ratio. I couldn't afford to do my students justice in order to generate the Principals' CYA data for the District/State/Federal paper mill.]
This lack of spelling or composition ability is nothing new. In the 1970-80s, I supervised in a group of c. 25 Archaeologists preparing reports and impact statements. Most all of my comrades were products of California schools & held MA degrees. Few of these Far-Westerners could hold a maple syrup bucket to a New England high schooler. They were, initially, trained in phonic reading programs in California, but never learned (or were held to) proper spelling when the State didn't followup with funding to remediate from their early programs.

Statement:
No one can adequately correct their own copy. You will often read through the silliest errors, incorrect spellings, and poor punctuation in your own writings. The author's mind has a tendency to create an aura that envelops your own product in a cloak of correctness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
anyone see caption last yr with picture of boat with moniker of bazz under photo

that your current or currant

try wash post: they still do "U-Conn." when a blind dude can read univ letterrhead says UCONN

maybe these pros need UCONN 3 credit Eng Comp 109 or the dreaded 200 level English Literature to use Chaucer Chants to gets it wright

Reaction Score
Yes, 191, computers do foist a certain amount of dependency by auto-spell-checking.
Thank heavens for all those "mean" teachers we had in our 1950-1960s schooldays. They who would, casually, toss back an assignment after hitting the second mis-spelled word and guide you to the nearest Webster's Unabridged dictionary.

My heart goes out to today's classroom teachers who are faced with increasing demands for non-instruction paperwork to the detriment of time spent on students. Time constraints no longer allow the "proper" correcting of student writing assignments. [Total disclosure: I walked away from classroom teaching (27-30:1 ratio - 7th/8th grade - Social Studies) when the "administrative" paperwork vs instruction time / student assignment review moved into the 60:40 ratio. I couldn't afford to do my students justice in order to generate the Principals' CYA data for the District/State/Federal paper mill.]
This lack of spelling or composition ability is nothing new. In the 1970-80s, I supervised in a group of c. 25 Archaeologists preparing reports and impact statements. Most all of my comrades were products of California schools & held MA degrees. Few of these Far-Westerners could hold a maple syrup bucket to a New England high schooler. They were, initially, trained in phonic reading programs in California, but never learned (or were held to) proper spelling when the State didn't followup with funding to remediate from their early programs.

Statement:
No one can adequately correct their own copy. You will often read through the silliest errors, incorrect spellings, and poor punctuation in your own writings. The author's mind has a tendency to create an aura that envelops your own product in a cloak of correctness.
I sympathize with you. Unfortunately, a high percentage of teachers today are "administrators" and not teachers. It's a sad trend with the politicians taking over education.

There is a bright side to archaeologist though. They are good marriage candidates because the older you get, the more they like you!:)

T

TroyHouse66

Bestie-
<<There is a bright side to archaeologist though. They are good marriage candidates because the older you get, the more they like you!:)>>

At times bumper stickers can say it best.

I recall our 1970s classic-- "Archaeologists will date any old thing"

By parking my assigned... 300,000+ mile, hand-me-down, International, 4wd, crew cab, field survey truck with its nose into the fence... at the far end of the State motor pool...
Until someone at the Service bay spotted it. We were able to retain its front bumper declaration.... "Hire the Morally Handicapped"
(Some rural Western state areas have mirth-free zones.)

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
For those who have trouble with the latin

Thats great. I've performed that piece quite often over the years and never quite looked at it that way before!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom