Dodge a Bullet, Win The Game | The Boneyard

Dodge a Bullet, Win The Game

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Conference games, you win the rock fights.

No bonus points for beauty.

All of us could have used the extra 30 minutes sleep had UConn closed it it out in regulation but it is what it is. Conference win.

Sanogo obviously a beast. Cole playing Robin to Sanogo's Batman. This is good.

Jackson bringing ball up against pressure is a thing of anticipation. It's also becoming more a thing a beauty and less a thing of angst. DH learning to let AJ play through his mistakes.

Helluva game by Whaley, most of which won't show up in box score.

Gaff, Akok, Polley and Hawkins all came in and made good contributions in first half. Cole picks up 3rd foul in second half and Gaff did his worst to try and piss it away. Difference between now and Novembwr is DH pulled Gaff and got Cole back in before game completely flipped momentum.

SJU, VCU and WVU. It's like the more chaos there is in their half court sets, the better they play. UConn plays good D and gets a tip or deflection and almost every time there's a scramble leading to a basket for the Johnnies.

G'night.

Reaction Score
Conference games, you win the rock fights.

No bonus points for beauty.

All of us could have used the extra 30 minutes sleep had UConn closed it it out in regulation but it is what it is. Conference win.

Sanogo obviously a beast. Cole playing Robin to Sanogo's Batman. This is good.

Jackson bringing ball up against pressure is a thing of anticipation. It's also becoming more a thing a beauty and less a thing of angst. DH learning to let AJ play through his mistakes.

Helluva game by Whaley, most of which won't show up in box score.

Gaff, Akok, Polley and Hawkins all came in and made good contributions in first half. Cole picks up 3rd foul in second half and Gaff did his worst to try and piss it away. Difference between now and Novembwr is DH pulled Gaff and got Cole back in before game completely flipped momentum.

SJU, VCU and WVU. It's like the more chaos there is in their half court sets, the better they play. UConn plays good D and gets a tip or deflection and almost every time there's a scramble leading to a basket for the Johnnies.

G'night.
I also thought Whaley was on his game tonight, and you wouldn’t know it if you simply looked at the box score. His man defense and help defense were great. A few really nice passes to Sanogo for easy buckets as well.

Reaction Score
Considering how OT went I'd say it was more dodge a bullet and fire 3 back
I think it was less about us dodging the bullet and more about the bullet missing us by a tiny fraction.

I'm glad we got the win in overtime..... but if St. John's hadn't screwed up that steal after that sloppy inbounds pass with 4.7 seconds to go in regulation...we lose 71-70 and never get to overtime. I'm glad we still won though.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
They all largely sucked.

Quite good defensively around the rim, but outside of that, holy crap.

Sanogo was brilliant. Cole was good except when he was bad - and he was bad at times. Jackson needs to stop throwing clever passes that hit spectators. Polley was the good version of Polley. Hawkins was bad. Akok and Whaley both managed to put their uniforms on. Martin was marginal…ton of bad decisions and he’s back to flinging nonsense at the rim. Gaffney was HFS bad - his confidence is somewhere in a volcano. Hurley had better seats than I did, but had a similar impact on the game. Diggins got no playing time in a game where ball handling was a screaming need.

They failed to close out a game that they were incredibly fortunate to win. Yuck.

Reaction Score
With our guard situation we are going to struggle to close out any decent team. We won which makes it a good day. Overtime appears to be the norm. Not optimal but at least we are competitive and games are exciting. Not too long ago we didn't even have that. Not where we need to be but getting closer. A few players away. Hurley isn't perfect but be careful what you wish for. We are close. Let it play out.

Reaction Score
I want to like Gaff. Why can't he let me like him?
Everyone keeps calling Sanogo a monster....we decided on Godzilla.

gareth edwards japanese GIF

Reaction Score
<snip> Jackson needs to stop throwing clever passes that hit spectators ... Gaffney was HFS bad....Diggins got no playing time in a game where ball handling was a screaming need. <snip>
No matter what the current understanding between Cole and Coach, it cannot be a guarantee that Cole will return next year for a sixth year in college. This leaves us to choose next year's PG contingent from the above mentioned -- one who passes to spectators, one who is "HFS bad" and one (Diggins) who looked last night like the most sad-faced outsider who ever stood neglected outside a huddle.

Given the now firmly-established ceiling to this year's possibilities, I submit that the single most important point of interest in following UConn men's basketball in the next two months will be the development of Jackson at point. He may never be a Magic Johnson, but he is our best hope to be a Magic Jackson.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
They all largely sucked.

Quite good defensively around the rim, but outside of that, holy crap.

Sanogo was brilliant. Cole was good except when he was bad - and he was bad at times. Jackson needs to stop throwing clever passes that hit spectators. Polley was the good version of Polley. Hawkins was bad. Akok and Whaley both managed to put their uniforms on. Martin was marginal…ton of bad decisions and he’s back to flinging nonsense at the rim. Gaffney was HFS bad - his confidence is somewhere in a volcano. Hurley had better seats than I did, but had a similar impact on the game. Diggins got no playing time in a game where ball handling was a screaming need.

They failed to close out a game that they were incredibly fortunate to win. Yuck.

Whaley was much more impactful than Akok. Whaley had five blocks, 3 steals and a couple of nice assists to Sanogo. With the way this team is constructed I'll take Whaley's box score line every game. Sure, some more rebounds would be nice but on a night where Sanogo plays all 40 minutes and gets 18 boards, everyone else's numbers are taking a hit.

1642083725136.png

Reaction Score
(Diggins) who looked last night like the most sad-faced outsider who ever stood neglected outside a huddle.
I thought I saw him dancing in the middle of the huddle pre-game?

Reaction Score
I thought I saw him dancing in the middle of the huddle pre-game?
He was, and was standing up clapping during the in game huddles too. He's another guy that people always over-analyze all his facial expressions like with Akok last year. No different last night than the day he committed here

Reaction Score
Well, Jackson is a might sword with rough edges that will improve. He is a handful in the open court and just needs to get to the rim more. In this game he really did that several times. If he can slow down a tad a more disruptive player can't be found. He really is fun to watch, a true high wire act!
Well, he also took three charges and is pretty much the only guy who drives the lane in traffic. We'll be lucky if he isn't in a body bag come Marc

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If you can dodge a bullet you can dodge a wrench.
justin long film GIF
Thank you, I was thinking this the whole time through this thread.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom