Dobbs - Fall 2012? | The Boneyard

Dobbs - Fall 2012?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't have any information other than what's available to anyone with an internet link.

But what I'm reading, I find it hard to believe that Dobbs is already academically ineligible for fall 2012. That's a long, long way away, and to be academically ineligible at this point, means that there aren't enough classes, and tests that you can possibly take and get the highest marks and raise the grade levels up enough. That's very, very hard to believe. There are a lot of classes and tests between now and fall 2012.

I'd like to see a good source that says that he's already out for fall 2012. A blog or a twit,twat,tweet doesn't cut it for me.

He may be out for enrolling in January 2012, and that's not far fetched, but again, very hard to believe he's already out for fall 2012 academically. He's got to be pretty far down the totem pole for that to be the case, and I highly doubt it.

Reaction Score
jsut wrote this elsewhere, but putting it here too. What this situation tells me right now, is that somebody's got some 'splaining to do.

the only way whatever is the problem in this situation gets cleaned up, is if somebody shines a spotlight on it.

If there are people at a CT high school that are cutting corners with academics when it can mess up the opportunity to get a higher education through athletics. somebody needs to shine a spotlight on it.

If there are people in the UConn system that are not sharp enough to pick up problems in academics in enrollment and qualification for SCHOLARSHIP athletes, then those kinds of things need to get a spotlight shined on them too.

The light is on, and this kids' future as a student and athlete at UConn are on the line.

I'm quite sure as educators, the coaching staff of this program is very much interested in fixing both ends of the problem here.

Reaction Score
what problem? sometimes things don't go the way you'd like, it doesn't mean there's a problem. kids fail to qualify for a variety of reasons all the time. if Dobbs' grades were bad i'm inclined to think the only problem is with how seriously Dobbs takes his academics. i don't think there's a lot that P can do to about that, it's not like he's his tutor or mother

Reaction Score
From what I can gather, if sources are to be trusted.....

The kid is already ineligible for the fall, academically. That's not easy to do, you got to be pretty low acadameically to fail to meet minimum standards with that much time between now and fall. I don't believe that's accurate, because I don't have a source reliable enough yet.

Second, based on what I read online, the kid has done well in school this fall, and is just short of meeting admission requirements because of some class he took in high school that doesn't qualify as an academic course to the NCAA.

It's all right here. I'm more inclined to believe the latter, than the former situation (not being eligible for 2012 fall already), in the absence of better sources.

http://blogs.courant.com/uconn_football/2011/11/uconn-rb-recruit-montrell-dobb.html

With all that in mind, IF the second situatino is accurate, there are two sides to the problem. A high school administration/curriculum that failed to serve it's students properly, and on the other side, a university admissions/scholarship evaluation process that failed to identify the problem.

Whether it would be one or both, it needs to get fixed, and I have no doubt that it will. In the meantime, the kid doesn't appear to be coming to UCOnn in January, as it was my understanding was the intent.

Stinks.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i see 2 possible ways he can go:
1-non bcs and play in the fall
2-go to a local JC this spring and get those last credit points he needs. the ncaa says ok and he comes to uconn to play fball in the fll.

Reaction Score
If what I've read on this board is correct (and we all know 100% of what's posted on this board is correct), and it's a case where he is a class in HS short of qualifying, why can't he go back to Ansonia for the Spring and take that class. Or, can't he take a class at Milford? Admittedly I have not read Dez's blog or comments, so it may be more than just this credit. Just seems a bit funky to me.

Reaction Score
There's a lot about this thing that bothers me. First off is that it's written that he's already academically ineligible and not coming for fall. Huh? I can see if there's some problem for spring, which I thought was the intention, but a kid has got to be way low academically to not make the cut for the fall already, with a full semester of prep school after high school, and then after two semesters? if he did a spring semester. What if he got all A's in the spring? He'd STILL be out for fall? Why? If his grade level is that low, that a full year of straight A's wouldn't be enough, this would have been known by our coaching staff and they've been looking elsewhere all along and not expecting him. That doesnt' seem to be the case.

Second, you get this info out there that there's a single class the kid took in high school that is the problem? Again - huh? How come if THAT's true, that can't get fixed prior to fall 2012?

Then you get the comment in the blog that I didn't even touch here, about supporters "selling" a kid to the program. WTF is that? I'm quite sure that scholarships aren't handed out lightly and 'bought' or 'sold' on anything except the coaching staff thinking that a kid is right for the program.

I don't know, the whole thing just stinks.

I'd be surprised if it all doesn't get sorted out jsut fine, and the unfortunate business is that the kid doesn't start his college career at UConn until September 2012, instead of January 2012, if he so intended, and whatever the glitch in the system was that led to this, gets fixed right quick.

And all of it by the book.

Reaction Score
after hearing more about the situation i agree with you that there is a problem, and it seems to be that the NCAA's guidelines are a garbled mess. you'd think with the millions of dollars this "nonprofit" organization is making they'd be able to afford a few counselors that can clearly review and advise students of what's necessary to qualify

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom